Is calorie counting really going to work?

Options

Replies

• RogueRunner_1
    RogueRunner_1 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Before the hordes arrive with the torches and pitchforks, I'll add the common sense proviso:

Speaking purely in terms of weight loss, calories are all that matter. When you factor in general health, body composition, energy levels, satiety/adherence, workout performance, etc., overall nutrition, macro- and micronutrients matter. It's a good idea to eat a varied, balanced diet while maintaining a caloric deficit over time to elicit the desired weight loss.
    Well said
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Before the hordes arrive with the torches and pitchforks, I'll add the common sense proviso:

Speaking purely in terms of weight loss, calories are all that matter. Period. With that said, when you factor in general health, body composition, energy levels, satiety/adherence, workout performance, etc., overall nutrition, macro- and micronutrients matter. It's a good idea to eat a varied, balanced diet while maintaining a caloric deficit over time to elicit the desired weight loss.

/end thread
  • pamfgil
    pamfgil Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Look up learned helplessness, looks like that is what your husband is trying to induce in you
  • spatzel67
    spatzel67 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I found it easier to get rid of the weight by raising my metabolism -> yup, that means physical activity. Add that to really being HONEST about counting calories and for 4 months I lost 2 lbs a week. Sadly, I couldn't maintain that and life got in the way, but I kept logging my food, didn't gain it all back and just started up at the gym again.

Ask your husband how he would feel if you undermined his goals like that. What a turd!
  • tracybear86
    tracybear86 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    OP - I was almost exactly where you are 10 months ago. I am 5'4'' and was 168 pounds. I am now 129. Use that food scale, log religiously and the weight will come off. It may be slow going sometimes and you will probably have weeks you don't lose anything. Just be patient and you will see results.
  • KevHex
    KevHex Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I've lost 54lbs this year calorie counting, it 100% works!!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    LadyLeaAZ wrote: »
    I've been at this myfitnesspal thing for over a week now at 1200 calories per day. Though I've been trying portion control for over a month and cut out sodas over 3 weeks ago and am drinking only water now.

If I google lots of sites come up saying calorie counting doesn't work. Also doing a search about egg consumption some sites say no more than 3 a day and others say 6 per week. So which is it?

Some websites suggest barely eating causes your metabolism to slow down and other say that is a bunch of hooey otherwise the cast of survivor wouldn't be so skinny by the end of the month.

I usually get so busy and stressed out I used to eat once a day at dinner. So now I'm trying to eat three times a day and its hard since I'm not hungry. Some days I don't even hit 1200 calories, i could be 300-400 short. I also started walking 10-30 minutes per day and yet it feels like nothing is happening.

I just want to be able to stand on the scale and see numbers in the 160's whether i am dressed or not, that is my small goal/be at 165 by 9/15. It didn't seem impossible from reading everyone else's stories, but now I'm starting to doubt.

Yes it will work...like a charm if you apply it correctly.

As well if you are curious about things and want to research ensure that you are using reputable sites...not just random blogs etc.

Another thing...fasting is fine if you want to do it that way but make sure you are getting in enough calories to fuel your body and walks...and I expect 1200 isn't enough.

When I started I was about 185 and I was eating 1600 a day...with exercise calories.

As for your husband telling you that you were fat...I have to ask...did you ask him if you were and he agreed or did he just randomly say you were fat.

• perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    LadyLeaAZ wrote: »
    Yeah I did buy a scale, just one of those cheapy 5.99 ones at BBB. My husband is already making fun of me and not happy that i'm counting calories even though he told me i was fat.

Height 5'6" and i seem to flop between 169 and 172 on a daily basis currently

your husband doesn't sound very supportive :( And the scale doesn't matter as long as you have one and can weigh what you are eating.

Feel free to add me as a friend! I lost 25 lbs on MFP a year and a half ago along with Weight Watchers. The weight comes off slower when counting calories but it comes off. I like that I can eat what I want as long as I keep it within my calories for the day. You've got this!
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

I just bought that scale tonight!

Per others:
    As for my husband I think he's just jealous. Before we left for vacation he was on a treadmill after work every day for about 30 minutes. We have been back for 2 solid weeks and he hasn't been back on it.
    He may be jealous - he may not. Either way - just do you! You can't worry about another person's choice to lose weight along with you. He doesn't sound supportive or like he's really in it for the long haul. Just do your thing and when he sees you making results he might come around again and start back.
  • starsofmotown
    starsofmotown Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've lost 31 pounds since April JUST from counting calories. I sit at a desk for 10 hours a day, so I'm lucky if I get over 5000 steps in, and I haven't gone to the gym in about 3 months.