I hate Plateau's

Options
2»

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Great news for everybody who hate plateaus! They don't eixist!
    Hate to break it to you. Yes they do exist.
    I religiously log everything and keep the exact same workout routine. For a period of 20 days I yoyoed around the same weight when I should have lost (by doing the proven math that has worked over the past 8 months) around 10 pounds.
    No reason or rhyme to it. Just literally stopped losing weight with again, no changes.
    Then yesterday and today it seems to have kicked back into weight loss, again with changing absolutely nothing in my eating or routine in any way. I eat the exact same three meals every day, and have for the past 8 months other than one meal a month.

20 days is not a plateau. It's just the normal "weight loss is not linear process." A plateau is 6 weeks of no loss and you haven't changed anything during this time.
  • RogueRunner_1
    RogueRunner_1 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Meelisv wrote: »
    Youre either eating more than you think or burning less calories excercising than you think.
    Log everything precisely. Use digital food scale and weigh EVERYTHING.

Plateaus are a thing, even if someone is logging food down to the gram. I've had situations where my weight didn't budge for a week regardless of logging carefully
  • RogueRunner_1
    RogueRunner_1 Posts: 32 Member
    Options

Either you're eating more than you should, or more than you think, or you are losing weight, but you think

Source? I base my information from experience and plateaus do exist. I've logged everything very carefully and measured it with a good scale yet gone a week without my weight budging in the past.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Either you're eating more than you should, or more than you think, or you are losing weight, but you think

Source? I base my information from experience and plateaus do exist. I've logged everything very carefully and measured it with a good scale yet gone a week without my weight budging in the past.

Not losing for 1 week is not a stall or plateau, it's perfectly normal, non linear weight loss.

I have never lost weight perfectly each and every week. I sometimes went 2-3 weeks without a noticeable loss.

• Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options

not losing for one week is not a plateau...you will not lose the exact same amount every week like clockwork - it does not work that way...normal fluctuations are normal - not plateaus
  • gabriellejayde
    gabriellejayde Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    It's frustrating, I know. whether it's a real plateau or not, and whether they exist or not...you wake up in the morning being SURE that today is the day the scale will move... and then it doesn't.
    I've been losing steadily and consistently for months. 2-3 pounds a week. and last week? No loss at all. not a big deal really, since it could be lots of things... except I'm at 200.4 lbs. Half a pound away from being under 200. I wasn't logging, and then decided I would start up again, just to be sure I'm not eating more than I think, and nope... I'm not.
  • TracyV125
    TracyV125 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss! I found that the closer I got to my goal weight, the slower it came off. Don't get discouraged. Keep eating properly and my only other advice is to mix up your exercise routine. That worked for me. Add something new to the mix. Best wishes to you!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

no source required.

Plateaus "true plateaus" happen when you eat at maintenance and are in effect if you haven't lost for 4-6 weeks.

There are a lot of factors that can impede scale loss that are not related to fat or food.

Stress...water retention etc can all make it appear you are not losing...when in fact you have. ONce you rid yourself of the water/fluid bam big loss. Often referred to as a Whoosh...

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    There is lots of good information shared by several folks here on this issue, which is really a non-issue. There are multiple factors that influence weight in the short term (increase in muscle mass, water retention, etc.) but at the end of the day CICO always wins. The body has to get energy from somewhere if it is not receiving enough from food, with fat being it's favorite target.