Fake vegetarian meat vs protein shakes.

Options

Replies

• cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    misnomer1 wrote: »
    Re soy, there is no evidence of any health effects of eating soy. It's been a mainstay of oriental diets for ages.

There have been a couple of cases where soy milk has been linked to reduced testosterone and feminizing effects on men. For that fear alone, I avoid soy in any form.

I think soy's fairly high in plant oestrogens.
    After our GP took my mum off HRT, she suggested increased soy consumption to boost my mum's oestrogen and minimise menopause side effects. Seemed to work quite well.

The OP's profile lists female, so maybe less of a concern in this case!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Re soy, there is no evidence of any health effects of eating soy. It's been a mainstay of oriental diets for ages.

There have been a couple of cases where soy milk has been linked to reduced testosterone and feminizing effects on men. For that fear alone, I avoid soy in any form.

In all cases of which I am aware, these (rare) cases were linked to men who were consuming much more soy than average (in one case, 14 servings a day for a year; another 12 servings a day) and resolved once servings were cut down. Avoiding soy entirely seems like an over-reaction.

Seems like a very small sacrifice to me. I don't like to eat stuff which could possibly give me boobs and a flaccid penis.

Nobody is required to eat soy, I was just pointing out how unlikely the possibility is for anyone else reading this thread and possibly having concerns.
  • janejellyroll
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Until all the studies agree about the effects of soy on men, soy milk/products will not be used daily in my home.
    http://www.menshealth.com/nutrition/soys-negative-effects

Given that soy is one of the most studied food substances we have and how small and poorly constructed some of the studies are, this is an impossible barrier to cross. There will never be a time when all studies ever conducted agree on soy (just as studies currently disagree on common foods like wheat or milk or meat or nightshade vegetables).
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    In a way, I don't think it's soy. It's all the "flavorings" that are added to soy "meats" and "milks". Even the idea of drinking careegenan in the "milks" bothers me. A soy hot dog had so many ingredients I could not buy it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,525 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Ironically it perplexes me that people that want to just be vegan/vegetarians always seem to want some fake "meat". And isn't that what they are trying not to promote eating? Doesn't just the name "meat" conflict?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I didn't go vegetarian because I don't like the taste or texture of meat. I went vegetarian because I made an ethical decision not to eat dead animals. Eating meat substitutes doesn't promote eating animals.
    Ah, but it could. Let a meat eater eat it. Bet they stick to promoting real meat.
    BTW what about lab grown meat?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• misnomer1
    misnomer1 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    skymningen wrote: »
    ecjim wrote: »
    Soy does contain photo estrogens , and can affect your hormones - I personally avoid it - it is in many of the processed foods we buy and eat.
    The fact that Asians have eaten it for years is a poor argment - soy is still a poor protein - It is however, a plentiful , widely grown, inexpensive source of protein.
    If I were a vegetarian I would rely onother sources of protein. - Eastcoast Jim

They are called phytoestrogens. So far there is no conclusive proof that ingesting them changes a humans estrogen levels enough to have any effect.
    Avoiding it would mean that you also have to avoid a large number of other common foods like rice and oats, your morning coffee, carrots or apples.

Never heard of men growing boobs from eating too much rice though. And many many populations rely on rice as primary foods.
  • cfredz
    cfredz Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with fake meat. I eat veggie sausages for breakfast all the time, along with the beyond meat burger for dinner or whatever fake meat I feel like. I aint scared.
    and I do also drink protein shakes.
    I'll take whatever protein I can get.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    ecjim wrote: »
    Soy does contain photo estrogens , and can affect your hormones - I personally avoid it - it is in many of the processed foods we buy and eat.
    The fact that Asians have eaten it for years is a poor argment - soy is still a poor protein - It is however, a plentiful , widely grown, inexpensive source of protein.
    If I were a vegetarian I would rely onother sources of protein. - Eastcoast Jim

The term is actually "phytoestrogens," not "photo."

In addition to soy, they're also found in wheat, legumes, sesame seeds, oats, bourbon, beer, fennel, coffee, and mint.
  • nm212
    nm212 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Not all soy is the same... Also, many foods have soy in it, even non-vegetarian products! Soy protein isolate, is in many processed foods, for example. Organic Tofu or Edamame is not the same as Soy Dogs or other meat substitutes. Not all soy is bad!!

http://www.alloy.com/well-being/soy-products-good-and-bad/
  • LaReinaDeCorazones
    LaReinaDeCorazones Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Ironically it perplexes me that people that want to just be vegan/vegetarians always seem to want some fake "meat". And isn't that what they are trying not to promote eating? Doesn't just the name "meat" conflict?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I myself don't eat meat because it's dead animal flesh. But I cook meat for my family and serve it, I think it can smell delicious, and sometimes miss it. But knowing it's a dead animal I cannot eat it.