Birth Control w/ no weight gain

Options

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Is there some reason no one's suggested an IUD?

Meh... I got pregnant on the copper one.

As for OP.... Birth control doesn't make you gain weight.... Eating too much does. I would have this convo with your OB at your checkup.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Options
    QJ18 wrote: »
    If you're married and exclusively with your partner, natural family planning and the pull out method. Track your cycle and abstain during your fertile days.

Lol 3 kids later...
  • Chef_Barbell
    Options
    MellowGa wrote: »
    yep, make him use them, I've been with my wife for 27 years, Birth control is not just a wife's or woman's responsibility. Make him use one or if your done having kids he should get a vasectomy. It's not just the woman's responsibility, if he is a man he will step up to the plate and do the right thing.

Well said.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Apparently there is now and app which comes with a thermometer to help you use the rhythm method, and it is as "safe" as the pill if used correctly i.e. the failure rate is the same as people not using the pill properly.
  • fruoshea
    fruoshea Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    @bella98902 Do you know how your body reacts on different b/c? My body for example can't handle anything other than the full-hormone b/c pills. If I go on the mini pill I get irregular periods and constant spotting. I had the arm implant thing and had my period for 6 month. No break. (I wanted to take it out after 3 but the Dr said to keep it 3 more months because my body wasn't yet used to it. Guess what - it didn't get better.)

Personally I've never had a problem with gaining weight with the (full) pill, and I think that is very much an individual thing. I guess one effect for some people could be that you eat more because you're hungrier and if you can control that then it's ok. Another effect could possibly be water retention, but like I said I've had no problems with my pills and for me it's either that or condoms.

My mum has had IUD's since my brother was born (he's 24 now) and is happy with that. I also have a friend who has one and swears by it. Others swear by the arm implant.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it doesn't really matter what people on here say if you don't know how your body will react to it.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Bet your dr was a bloke!
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    I have had great success with Depo Provera shots....one shot every three months, which you can do yourself or go to the doc and have them do it. No period, no increase in appetite, and no mood swings. I had the Nexplanon for about two years and the mood swings and periods, combined with an increase in my ovarian cysts, became way too much to handle so it was removed early.
  • QJ18
    QJ18 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    skymningen wrote: »
    If you're married and exclusively with your partner, natural family planning and the pull out method. Track your cycle and abstain during your fertile days.

Great idea...

Thank you. This method works well for married couples. If you'e being sarcastic, I'm not sure why; it actually is a pretty great idea to use your own body cycle to keep track of you fertility. Hormonal birth control is not an option for all of us.

Unfortunately (pull out method risks aside) it is quite similar to not eating anything you like because it is a diet. As naturally, the fertile days are the days where the woman is more interested and subconsciously can make that rub off to hubby as well.

Yes, I do agree that the fertile days are the horniest, haha. More proof that we are designed to procreate. It's not for everyone, of course. In the families I know that use this method, we understand that unplanned pregnancies might happen, and for the most part see additional children as a blessing. To each their own- this method is perfect for some families. Hormonal birth control is not always an option.
  • saraichka
    saraichka Posts: 24 Member
    Options

I was just going to suggest that. Copper IUD, no hormones, no hassle. OB will insert it at your 6 week postpartum check.

• rachel780mpg
    rachel780mpg Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I'm on the depo shot, and the doctor warned that the first few months I might feel super hungry and said to be aware. She was right about the hunger, but I didn't eat excessively so I didn't gain any weight. Its now been 4 months of being on the shot and about a month and a half of tracking calories and I am down 15 lbs.
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    IUD with no hormones-Paragard
  • seekingdaintiness
    seekingdaintiness Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Barrier methods or IUD. Hormonal birth control methods are clinically proven to cause weight gain and are just all around bad for you besides.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Options
    Barrier methods or IUD. Hormonal birth control methods are clinically proven to cause weight gain and are just all around bad for you besides.

How so? :huh:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

:huh:
  • LaReinaDeCorazones
    LaReinaDeCorazones Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Copper iud here....tried the pill, woke up in the middle of the night a huge bloody mess, sorry TMI...and on the shot had uncontrollable hunger (unfortunately gave in) and a 3 month long period. Unfortunately my body can't handle the hormones
  • Kim_S_G
    Kim_S_G Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    After our second child, my husband and I decided we didn't want any more children, so he had a vasectomy.
  • bella98902
    bella98902 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    @fruoshea thank you... you're totally right... now how do I delete this lol
  • bella98902
    bella98902 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thank u LADIES who answered back without being sarcastic or rude. I appreciate it. Have a nice evening
  • Chef_Barbell
    Options
    bella98902 wrote: »
    Thank u LADIES who answered back without being sarcastic or rude. I appreciate it. Have a nice evening

Who was rude? :huh:
  • Wiggymommy
    Wiggymommy Posts: 106 Member
    Options

Yea, got one after my daughter. Turns out some women's body's like to push out foreign objects. Now I have a son