Muscle Pain

Options
Hello everybody! I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on how to ease muscle pain after a gym workout? Currently laying in bed in pain!

Caitlin

Replies

• mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Did you warm up and cool down, did you stretch?
    No workout should leave you in such pain you take to your bed, so either you did something wrong or just fancy being in bed today!
    Warm bath and gentle stretching exercises, followed by a short workout doing the opposite of what you did yesterday.
  • susanayt97
    susanayt97 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    mazdauk wrote: »
    No workout should leave you in such pain you take to your bed, so either you did something wrong or just fancy being in bed today!
    Warm bath and gentle stretching exercises, followed by a short workout doing the opposite of what you did yesterday.

This! Warm up before you exercise, stretch after! You probably will still be sore the next day, but nothing too painful.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Frequent movement seems to help most people reduce D.O.M.S. Avoid staying immobile.

Do less on your next workout. :+1:
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Try an Epsom salt bath as well, it can help with it.
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    In addition to what's already been said... Get moving again - rather than resting the next day, better to do something active like a walk or swim or gentle jog/ride.
    Make sure you have sufficient protein in your diet and after the workout - don't train then go to bed on empty.
    Some people claim BCAA supplementation helps. I'm still trialling this myself.
    Foam rolling/self massage
  • daynasrose
    daynasrose Posts: 46 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    L-Glutamine supplementation can help. I use a powdered form by Optimum Nutrition after a workout in my post-workout smoothie. Also all of the above suggestions. Keep moving, take a hot bath in epsom salts, stretch before/after, warm-up and cool-down and maybe try a foam roller.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    My strategies are: adequate warm-up before working out (working out = weight training plus intervals); adequate cool-down, foam rolling and stretching after workout; moving around the rest of the day of the workout; moving around most of the day between workouts; enough carbs and protein and sleep (with an occasional NSAID before bed to help with muscle pain).
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Move, seriously - it's helps in recovery, a slow walk. Massage the muscles (foam roller, by hand, an orbital car buffer - yep!), Ice will help ease the pain as well. Gentle stretching, just to the point where you feel the stretch.

10 to 1, it's your legs. Post leg day DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness) can be brutal. If you look up "leg day memes", they all make sense.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    mazdauk wrote: »

If she did her first "leg day" weight lifting workout, the next two days can be absolutely brutal. After a year of doing repeated leg day workouts, I still walk funny the next day no matter how much I stretch before and after a workout.
  • joeybrid
    joeybrid Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Take a contrast shower starting cold then get hot at the end. Foam roller after. You can't do anything about DOMS really. But you can prevent cramps atleast
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    if it's really really really really bad, there's nothing wrong with taking an anti-inflammatory either. but do make it a physical anti-inflammatory, not just a [whatever the other type of otc painkiller is. i can never recall].

i'm not saying to make a habit of it. but i do remember how bad my own first post-workout was, and if i'd had any sense i would have helped my body to help itself by taking a couple naproxen somewhere near the start of that week.