What's up with feeling lightheaded? When will this pass?

Options
I've been sticking to my 1,200-1,300 calories per day. I keep it balanced (example: oatmeal, blackberries, walnuts, chicken, rice, asparagus, etc...). My current exercise routine is very light (light yoga and brief walks). So what is causing this lightheadedness? Is it because my body is adjusting to a calorie decrease? Is it confused because now it has to burn some fat for energy? Anyone else experience this? :(

Replies

• Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I've been sticking to my 1,200-1,300 calories per day. I keep it balanced (example: oatmeal, blackberries, walnuts, chicken, rice, asparagus, etc...). My current exercise routine is very light (light yoga and brief walks). So what is causing this lightheadedness? Is it because my body is adjusting to a calorie decrease? Is it confused because now it has to burn some fat for energy? Anyone else experience this? :(

Not enough information.

What are your stats? Ht? Wt? Age? What's your deficit?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    How much of a deficit does that put you at? Have you given up anything in your diet completely?
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    The only time I get light-headed is when I burn way more calories than what I eat...like after an hours long endurance event. To get rid of this feeling I eat some calorie dense food, like a PBJ sandwich, and the light-headedness goes away in less than 5 minutes like magic.

Since you have not provided stats, I am just flat out guessing that your calorie deficit is severe.
    Maybe try to have a few more calories and see if the feeling goes away???
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    Have you tried eating a quick-acting sugar when you feel dizzy to see if it's from hypoglycemia? Cause it could also be hypotension (which also can cause dizzyness/lightheadedness). It's important to find out which it is, since treatment is different for each of them (some simple carbs if hypoglycemia, some sodium and water if it's hypotension).
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    Either you're way under eating, or you should see your doctor. My vote would be the latter.
  • Pepsab
    Pepsab Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Ive had a couple of spells of this. I found it was when i reduced my sugar/carbs by 90%. It went along with the nasty headaches too. But it did pass.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Sorry about that. This is my second day on the app and stats would've been helpful. I'm 5'3," currently 125 lbs, and my goal weight is 110 lbs (that is when I felt my best). The only exercise I do right now is very light yoga, walking, and some at-home toning exercises due to a medical condition I have- so my actively level is pretty low. I think I might need more than 1,200 calories per day? I did eat a small snack after dinner and noticed I felt better- so maybe my blood sugar was on the low side? I'm wondering if consuming 1,350-1,400 calories daily would be a little more realistic for me?

If you're lightheaded I would definitely try the higher number and see if it works for you. You shouldn't be lightheaded, and with your stats should not be set to lose more than half a pound a week. Also, the suggestion above to try consuming some fast acting sugar when this happens is a good one. A small amount of orange juice would do it. If it is hypoglycemia you should feel much better within 15 minutes.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    There can be multiple reasons:
    1. You're not eating enough
    2. You're not drinking enough water
    3. You're not getting enough nutrion out of your food (protien, fat, vitamins, iron - one of the symptoms of anemia is dizziness/lightheadedness)
    4. If none of the above, see a doctor.
  • CricketClover
    CricketClover Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    If it persists especially, see a doc. I was having strange spells of dizziness and almost vertigo. It had absolutely nothing to do with my diet/sugar levels, like I initially thought. It was sinus pressure with fluid in my ears, after a round of antibiotics and steroids I was all better.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Sorry about that. This is my second day on the app and stats would've been helpful. I'm 5'3," currently 125 lbs, and my goal weight is 110 lbs (that is when I felt my best). The only exercise I do right now is very light yoga, walking, and some at-home toning exercises due to a medical condition I have- so my actively level is pretty low. I think I might need more than 1,200 calories per day? I did eat a small snack after dinner and noticed I felt better- so maybe my blood sugar was on the low side? I'm wondering if consuming 1,350-1,400 calories daily would be a little more realistic for me?

Apologies if this gas vern answered yet (I skimmed). Do you eat back a portion of your cardio calories back?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,951 Member
    Options

Activity level is per your job. You are supposed to log exercise and eat back the calories you've earned. Are you doing that?

And yes, with only 15 pounds to lose do set your weekly goal to a half pound per week.

jj0nud4mg6tu.jpg
  • cefleischman
    cefleischman Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have an office job, so I'm very sedentary during the day. I have a health condition so I'm only able to do light exercise (gentle yoga, short walks, and at home toning exercises). Should I be eating more to make-up for the calories I lose exercising?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,951 Member
    Options
    I have an office job, so I'm very sedentary during the day. I have a health condition so I'm only able to do light exercise (gentle yoga, short walks, and at home toning exercises). Should I be eating more to make-up for the calories I lose exercising?

MFP uses the NEAT method (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis), and as such this system is designed for exercise calories to be eaten back. However, many consider the burns given by MFP to be inflated and only eat a percentage, such as 50%, back. Others, however, are able to lose weight while eating 100% of their exercise calories.

My FitBit One is far less generous with calories than the MFP database and I comfortably eat 100% of the calories I earn from it back.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082/exercise-calories-again-wtf/p1
  • paulag1955
    paulag1955 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Do you have the capability to check your blood pressure when you feel lightheaded?
  • seekingdaintiness
    seekingdaintiness Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Honestly I would consult with your doctor. There's a large number of reasons you can be light headed, including adjusting to a new diet.
  • cefleischman
    cefleischman Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    paulag1955 wrote: »
    Do you have the capability to check your blood pressure when you feel lightheaded?

Yes, I have a blood pressure monitor and it says my blood pressure is normal.

• jewels03
    jewels03 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    In my case, I get lightheaded when standing up because I have low blood pressure. I just recently spoke with my doctor about it, who reaffirmed what I already know. In my case, it's nothing to worry about. She said I should increase my sodium intake (which has been reduced with dieting) and stay hydrated.