Rate this workout?

crevtion
crevtion Posts: 72 Member
edited August 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
Ok so I made myself this workout using the app PumpUp to suit my preferences. There are 3 circuits with 8 exercises all at 30 seconds each. Then I repeat the circuits twice adding up to 36min. They are all body weight because I use weights in another workout. My question to you is this: would this burn many calories and around how much for a 5'4 (165cm) 117pound (53kg) 19yo female? I'm only asking because the calories burn estimate on here might not be accurate when I put in circuit training and I don't want to end up underestimating or overeating and then eating either too much or too little as a result. Also is this what is considered to be HIIT?

Thanks for any replies

gts9im1w5yus.jpg
09b73kccgddd.jpg
bfpns44jdpmh.jpg

Replies

• susanayt97
    susanayt97 Posts: 309 Member
    I don't know how to answer the other questions, but I don't think this is HIIT! HIIT usually consists of a few seconds of high intensity exercise followed by a few seconds of active rest (boxer shuffle, jog in place...)
  • crevtion
    So if I added more jumping jacks or high knees (like between each exercise maybe) it would be HIIT then? It's pretty intense because I have no breaks in between other than a minute or so between the circuits
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    its not HIIT, logging it as circuit training would be fine. its all estimates after all.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    crevtion wrote: »
    So if I added more jumping jacks or high knees (like between each exercise maybe) it would be HIIT then? It's pretty intense because I have no breaks in between other than a minute or so between the circuits

No it's not real HIIT - no breaks between exercises isn't how you define HIIT.
    But you would find many similar classes doing that kind of calisthenics or circuit training misleadingly calling their workouts HIIT. Marketing Department HIIT is rampant!

I won't rate your workout as it's not something I would want to do but what I enjoy and my goals are no doubt different. I would log as calisthenics as it's bodyweight but think the database gives the same calorie count for both vigorous calisthenics and circuit training (a bit generous on the calorie count IMHO).
  • susanayt97
    susanayt97 Posts: 309 Member
    Check out some HIIT workouts at fitnessblender.com. You can see what they are like, and then create your own if you want to :)
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    What is the intent of your workout? Just calorie burn?
  • crevtion
    rybo wrote: »

Not entirely. I don't have weight to lose. If anything then maybe some fat, so the purpose is toning up and improving strength.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    -2/10 is what I would rate this workout, especially considering your goals.
  • gerard54
    gerard54 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Looks harder than my workouts so A+
  • crevtion
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    -2/10 is what I would rate this workout, especially considering your goals.

Haha fair enough, out of interest, why? Might help me :)
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member

Not entirely. I don't have weight to lose. If anything then maybe some fat, so the purpose is toning up and improving strength.

Toning up is a matter of reducing body fat and having enough muscle to show. This isn't going to do much for your strength, except probably your core as you include a lot of core movements.
    Given the situation you are in, you'd be better off following a more strength based program and doing a "recomp". Your strength movements can be body weight, but they should be challenging and not done quickly in the way this workout is designed.

This.
    The workout you have here is fine to do for cardio, conditioning, etc. I do some of these moves when circuit training and in my power yoga class. But I would recommend you follow a progressive strength program for optimal results.
  • crevtion
    Okay so if I do that cardio style workout 3 times a week and then strength training 2-3 times a week will I get the best results? Is the workout below a good idea for one of those days? I made it so it focuses more on legs and glutes.
    ge2d1wen8ldh.jpg
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »

Toning up is a matter of reducing body fat and having enough muscle to show. This isn't going to do much for your strength, except probably your core as you include a lot of core movements.
    Given the situation you are in, you'd be better off following a more strength based program and doing a "recomp". Your strength movements can be body weight, but they should be challenging and not done quickly in the way this workout is designed.

This.
    The workout you have here is fine to do for cardio, conditioning, etc. I do some of these moves when circuit training and in my power yoga class. But I would recommend you follow a progressive strength program for optimal results.

This!
    Find an established and progressive program.
    If you want one focused on glutes, Strong Curves would be a good choice. Much better than trying to make up your own.
  • ArvinSloane
    ArvinSloane Posts: 80 Member
    edited August 2017
    Okay so if I do that cardio style workout 3 times a week and then strength training 2-3 times a week will I get the best results? Is the workout below a good idea for one of those days? I made it so it focuses more on legs and glutes.

(Image clipped)

To be blunt: this isn't very balanced, doesn't include a progression scheme, the exercises aren't in any kind of logical order, and it would take you forever. I'd recommend looking at a progressive program designed by a professional, as it will already have taken these things into account. I promise there already exists one (or several) that will align with your goals--Strong Curves might be a good place to start!