Sodium: does it matter?

Options
2»

Replies

• Ainadan
    Ainadan Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I drink a LOT of water, and I do notice if I haven't added enough sodium to my diet I will start having headaches, nausea, and other nasty symptoms of low sodium. OTOH, I rarely get too much sodium, because I don't eat junk food very much, and don't need a lot of salt on my food. If you are eating a healthy diet, the amount of sodium you consume shouldn't matter, unless you accidentally don't get enough.

However, salty foods are oftentimes junk food, so I think most of the time, people who feel better after restricting sodium are actually cutting out empty calories and junk food, which makes them feel better.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    karahm78 wrote: »
    I watch sodium as I tend to have noticeable water retention issues.... but it is more of a guide to me or help understanding or anticipating water weight gains. For me personally I know that if I fly or go over 3,000 sodium I will post a gain for a few days. I know that this isn't fat gain so it doesn't freak me out.

Amazing how I can gain 1-2 lbs just by going out for Sushi. Other than that I don't concern myself with it.
  • MommaGem2017
    MommaGem2017 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    karahm78 wrote: »
    I watch sodium as I tend to have noticeable water retention issues.... but it is more of a guide to me or help understanding or anticipating water weight gains. For me personally I know that if I fly or go over 3,000 sodium I will post a gain for a few days. I know that this isn't fat gain so it doesn't freak me out.

Amazing how I can gain 1-2 lbs just by going out for Sushi. Other than that I don't concern myself with it.

Seriously. Sigh.... :'(
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    HarlemNY17 wrote: »
    I keep my sodium no higher than 2300 daily! Most people are gonna say it doesn't matter but to ME it matters because I care about my diet and overall health but that's just ME.

Which is where it should be. No people should be taking over what MFP recommends. But I know a lot of Americans like myself can be way over that number when eating whatever they want which is bad for the heart. So now I try not to go over what MPG recommends and am trying to get 1.5 to 2 gallons of water due to my high protein diet.

This isn't really true. 2300 is a solid recommended upper limit, but it can and will be variable...I'm a very active persona and live in the desert at over a mile high in elevation...I sweat a lot and drink a lot of water and thus electrolytes need to be replenished, including sodium.

I aim for 2300 or more...up to about 3000. 2300 is really pretty much a minimum for me before I start having issues with cramping on my rides.

For someone who is more or less sedentary and not outside a lot dripping buckets, then 2300 is a good upper limit and they could also shoot for less.
  • BootyEvolve
    BootyEvolve Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Yes sodium can matter for different people but I guess I'm talking more About the sedentary price who don't exercise and stay inside all day while eating out. They're sodium levels can be dangerously high and won't know until it's too late.

I live in a hot climate for 4 months out of the year and still try to only consume 2300 my or less of sodium. Unless people have done extensive research on how much they should consume because of activity or how hot the weather is I do suggest taking in the 2300 sodium. Unless you are educated about it you could damage your body from too much sodium which can cause cardiovascular diseases (heart diseases/problems)
  • natasor1
    natasor1 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Sodium is not simple answer. If u take too much, u may retain water and it will interfere with loosiing weight. From other hand, if u take too little, u will have all those problems what other members mentioned before. To make it simple just recall camel with huge hump of fat on his back. If he has water to drink every day, his hump grows. When he is out in desert, his hump gets smaller and gives good supply of water and food to this animal. Fat drops happens in minimum of water in the body. It 's simple but very visual example of water retention and fat burn.
    The other picture in your head: muscular stirated body lines of bodybuilders happen only when they limit themselves of water and all high carb food.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Will sodium affect weightloss?

If you are eating a similar amount of sodium every day, your weight loss will reflect only the number of calories you are, or are not, eating.

Sodium enters into the picture if you have a day or two of sodium consumption that is vastly different than your norm. Eat a lot more and you will temporarily gain water weight. Eat a lot less and you will temporarily lose water weight.
  • prima_donut
    prima_donut Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Sodium can affect my weight loss as it makes food taste better for me and thus I want to eat more of it. But sodium itself will not change more than the amount of water you retain. One Clamato Ceasar and I can be up five pounds!