I can't do 1200 calories!!!! I'm so hungry!!! Why?!?!

Options

Replies

• jshenber
    jshenber Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    1200 is minimal for safety reasons for average sedentary woman.

Don't be average - don't be sedentary - don't eat 1200 (unless 5 ft or under and very overweight which isn't average).

Being in the 5' club makes things more difficult. 1200 calories have always been my recommended caloric intake because of my sedentary job and diminutive stature :). You're right on with the exercise - I do better when I can fit in activity at least 4 days a week.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I have 1200 calories too and I'm ending my first week tomorrow. It was a little hard the first 3 days but then my body accepted it. I'm 28 so yes, things are starting to move harder.

28 is not an age where it gets harder. At all. I'm 35 and I have always lost exactly as expected and I most certainly don't eat 1200 calories to do it.

This^^
    35 as well. Losing at the rate expected.
  • natasor1
    natasor1 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Stick to more protein and bulky fibrouse food. Your deit has to satisfy u. Diet has to be fun, likable by you and only you. Some food can be good for you, but poison to somebody else. Listen to your body
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    fglrml86 wrote: »
    I always try but I'm so hungry... thinking about moving back to 1500 calories... I just entered my 30's and I feel like everything is so different!!!

Unless you're a very petite person or needing to lose weight very rapidly for medical purposes, 1200 calories isn't necessary. If you felt fine, that would be one thing. But, no need for misery. Eat some more and still lose weight.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I was on 1200 for the last couple of months and lost weight. I ate back almost all of my exercise calories, so actually averaged about 1500 calories a day. I will say this: it's possible, it's not necessarily uncomfortable for me, but I don't think it's sustainable any more. I'm 5' 6" and when I input a loss of 1 pound per week (starting weight 173, goal of 145 pounds), MFP said I could eat just 1200 calories. After losing 20 pounds, I just shifted down to losing half a pound a week and get a measly 1370 calories a day. I was hoping for more. I think I need more calories to function and to perform better during workouts.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    1200 calories a day can be really difficult. The last time I did that, was only because I was sick and didn't feel like eating. Set your rate a bit slower, you'll feel better in the long run.
  • cefleischman
    cefleischman Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sedentary, 5'3," 125 lbs, and trying to get back to 110. 1,200 calories has been... miserable. Honestly I think I'm going to raise my caloric intake.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    I tried 1200 calorie diets off and on all my life. I never lasted more than two weeks. Usually I didn't last three days. I just couldn't handle the constant sense of deprivation. I'd get obsessed with food. And as soon as I could, I'd eat everything I felt I'd missed out on.

I had a lot more success with low carb diets, where I didn't worry about calories at all, though I know that they work because you do actually cut your calories when you drop all the sugar and processed food. I also had success with exercise + calorie control. MFP works for me because I do enough exercise I can eat a lot, but because I log everything, I also control how much I eat. When I started with MFP I was given 1200 calories as my goal to lose a pound a week (I'm 60 and basically sedentary). However I exercise about 2 hours a day, so end up with 500 - 1000 calories extra. That I can live with.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I tried 1200 calorie diets off and on all my life. I never lasted more than two weeks. Usually I didn't last three days. I just couldn't handle the constant sense of deprivation. I'd get obsessed with food. And as soon as I could, I'd eat everything I felt I'd missed out on.

This is exactly how it went for me too. I lasted 3 miserable/hungry/obsessed days on 1200 calories :weary:

• BarneyRubbleMD
    BarneyRubbleMD Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid to increase the calories from what MFP has recommended for you. When I went with what MFP recommended for me (1600 calories/day for 2 lbs/week loss for sedentary), I ended up having eating binges 1 to 3 times per week. It turns out the correct calories/day for me for that rate of weight loss is about 2200 calories/day which explains why I couldn't stick to my diet for more than a few days without binging. Those calories/day calculations are just "estimations" based on averages and there will always be some who will need something different.
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is not a death-sentence. I ate 1200 calories on sedentary days and I was fine. BUT my goal was only to lose 500g a week. Not 900g. And I filled up on lots of low-cal veggies. Readjust your goal or add in more exercise or become a volume eater. Or do all 3.