Slow vs. Fast weight loss?

Options
concetta1123
concetta1123 Posts: 28 Member
edited August 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
My starting weight was 142lbs and my goal weight is 120lbs. I'm 5'3.

This past month I've been sick and lost 10lbs from not being able to eat. I stopped working out regularly and stopped weight lifting. While my waist and stomach are very slim, my arms and chest still look flabby, and they were the areas I really wanted to slim down with overall weight loss.

I still have 12lbs left to go, but I guess I'm just feeling discouraged. 142lbs to 130lbs didn't have a huge difference for me, and I'm worrying that 130lbs to 120lbs won't either.

Now that I'm feeling better, I'm going to start lifting and exercising again and I'm going to go back to losing weight slowly (1lb a week). Do you think that'll make a difference?

Like, will my fat loss be more noticeable if it's done slowly and with exercise as opposed to fast from not eating? Is -10lbs is -10lbs either way, or is there a difference when the 10lbs is lost slowly and more healthily?

I just don't want work so hard to hit my goal weight if I'm going to be disappointed. It's just strange only having 10lbs left to go, since I didn't think I'd hit this marker for a few months. It really crept up on me thanks to being sick!

If anyone's been through something similar and can offer advice, it'd be greatly appreciated. Thank you. :)

Replies

• laurabadams
    laurabadams Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Only my experience, but the closer I am to my goal/stable weight, the bigger those 5-10 pounds are. I'm 5'8" & I maintain right around 140...if I get to 145, I can absolutely feel & see it. It's dramatic, to me. And I feel much skinnier at 135. So maybe you'll see a bigger change with the next few pounds lost.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    Since you don't have much to lose, going slow and working on your fitness will probably have the best long-term effects, but that doesn't mean you'll look exactly the way you imagined along the way. You might need to look to something other than the mirror for validation that your hard work is paying off - measurements, clothes filling better, regularly spaced progress photos, fitness milestones, etc. I don't really see much change in the mirror after losing weight, and I didn't when I was gaining either. I really see it in photos, though, on both ends.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    You can spot reduce, as much as I would love that. Just do the best you can do......lifting is great!

1 pound a week loss isn't slow....it's normal. When you get closer to goal still, expect 1/2 pound a week loss. Yes, it's a pain.

Fast weight loss = large deficits. This works better for obese people with lots of "reserves." Because you don't have the reserves, fast weight loss will be at the risk of (more) lean muscle lost. If you want a lower body fat %, accept 1 pound a week loss at most. Lifting will help you keep muscle (with fuel of course).
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    The last 10 lbs makes the biggest difference and is the hardest to achieve, because you have less room to create a deficit. Strength training will also help you improve your appearance!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    jospen83 wrote: »
    Only my experience, but the closer I am to my goal/stable weight, the bigger those 5-10 pounds are. I'm 5'8" & I maintain right around 140...if I get to 145, I can absolutely feel & see it. It's dramatic, to me. And I feel much skinnier at 135. So maybe you'll see a bigger change with the next few pounds lost.

I'm larger but this is so true for me. The difference between 169 and 175 is WAY more noticeable for me than say, 210 to even 250 lb when I was larger! No kidding.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    My starting weight was 142lbs and my goal weight is 120lbs. I'm 5'3.

This past month I've been sick and lost 10lbs from not being able to eat. I stopped working out regularly and stopped weight lifting. While my waist and stomach are very slim, my arms and chest still look flabby, and they were the areas I really wanted to slim down with overall weight loss.

I still have 12lbs left to go, but I guess I'm just feeling discouraged. 142lbs to 130lbs didn't have a huge difference for me, and I'm worrying that 130lbs to 120lbs won't either.

Now that I'm feeling better, I'm going to start lifting and exercising again and I'm going to go back to losing weight slowly (1lb a week). Do you think that'll make a difference?

Like, will my fat loss be more noticeable if it's done slowly and with exercise as opposed to fast from not eating? Is -10lbs is -10lbs either way, or is there a difference when the 10lbs is lost slowly and more healthily?

I just don't want work so hard to hit my goal weight if I'm going to be disappointed. It's just strange only having 10lbs left to go, since I didn't think I'd hit this marker for a few months. It really crept up on me thanks to being sick!

If anyone's been through something similar and can offer advice, it'd be greatly appreciated. Thank you. :)

Most likely, the 10# you lost was heavier on lean body mass than you would find optimal. Now that you are feeling better, I would recommend eating close to "maintenance" for a couple of weeks while you resume your lifting and exercising program, and THEN start a deficit. The lifting (along with good nutrition) will help you retain your muscle and lose fat. ALSO, don't be surprised if you gain a few pounds right off the bat - it doesn't represent fat gain, just water and increased material in your gut. With a small deficit plus lifting, you will be happier with how you look at the finish line than if you drop the weight through deficit alone.
  • concetta1123
    concetta1123 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    These were really helpful responses, thanks guys! :)