Vegan bodyrocker

Options
ember168
ember168 Posts: 64 Member
edited August 2017 in Introduce Yourself
Hello all,
Call me Raven, I'm a vegan. I use hiit styled routines 1-2 hrs per day for strength and cardio. I have combined the bodyrock routines (sweatflix.com) with MFP to help track and keep me from over indulging. Im down 6 lbs since starting my 30 day RealTime Challenge (on day 10). I do use a vegan protein shake after my workout and use vegan protein (beans, lentials, hummus, tofu, soy products, nuts, seeds and a variety of vegetables that have protein as well to reach my protein intake daily. For anyone wondering about vitamins minerals and such, i do take a daily prenatal, a probiotic, and biotin daily. I could get it all from food sources but i would never stop eating throughout the day so i take the easier route and take supplements. Blood work was done 2 wks ago and i am in perfect health ! Yeah!
Being vegan is awesome as long as you understand the way our bodies use food and how it absorbs the different nutrients. If you go into without understanding and no meal plan ... You might get sucked into the vast amounts of vegan junk foods that are no better than their alternative junk foods. As with any diet, you have to make sure youre eating right. I had to learn this the hard way, and now i am on my journey to dropping the excess weight gained from my junky vegan beginning. Wish me luck!! And good luck on your journey as well!

Raven

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Excess weight would come from eating too many calories, not from a "junky vegan beginning."

I lost over 40 pounds as a vegan while still sometimes eating things like chips, french fries, non-dairy ice cream, candy, and vegan meats and cheeses.

If someone wants to eliminate those foods, I don't have a problem with that. But I do think it's important for people to understand that they can lose weight eating anything as long as they are in a calorie deficit. And you won't lose weight eating beans, lentils, hummus, tofu, nuts, and vegetables unless you also happen to be in a calorie deficit.
  • ember168
    Options
    My personal experience has taught me that when i eat the vegan junk food.... I maintain or gain weight. The beans lentils and such are my protein source. I have been losing weight eating these daily. I eat the calories im supposed to and exercise daily.
    Each person is different. This is my story.
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    As Jane pointed out, weight gain is caused by excess calories. You will gain weight if you have a calorie surplus regardless of what form those calories come in. CICO (calories in vs. calories out) is a fundamental principle that you will see repeated frequently around here, as it is the basic premise which MFP rests upon, and the reason why it is so effective for many people.
  • ember168
    Options
    Watching your calorie intake is, of course, important but not the only way. Atheletes tend to use macros, high protein, high carb (carb cycling or carb loading) or even high fat to reduce fat and keep fit. Im not really concerned with my calories...the harder and longer you exercise, the more calories you will need to take in so your body gets enough nutrients and energy in order to function properly. Im focused on healthy eating, feeding my body right to help build muscle and reduce fat. Too much restriction of calories will make this hard to achieve. Mfp helps me to track my macros better.
    It is true that you can lose weight by keeping calorie intake low while still eating anything you want, but for me, thats not how i want to do it. I know that i need to keep my nutrients, minerals, fats, carbs, and proteins in mind. Esp as a vegan. Weight gain is not only caused by excess calories, but with too much fat (the wrong kind of fat), too many carbs ( the wrong kind of carbs), and even too much protein. Not to mention gluten intolerances, wheat intolerances, medical issues, any type of disease, diabetes, or medication which may cause issues with weight gain, or make it harder to drop weight. For the average person who doesnt exercise, calories in and calories out can work well. For others it might not be quite that simple.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    ember168 wrote: »
    Watching your calorie intake is, of course, important but not the only way. Atheletes tend to use macros, high protein, high carb (carb cycling or carb loading) or even high fat to reduce fat and keep fit. Im not really concerned with my calories...the harder and longer you exercise, the more calories you will need to take in so your body gets enough nutrients and energy in order to function properly. Im focused on healthy eating, feeding my body right to help build muscle and reduce fat. Too much restriction of calories will make this hard to achieve. Mfp helps me to track my macros better.
    It is true that you can lose weight by keeping calorie intake low while still eating anything you want, but for me, thats not how i want to do it. I know that i need to keep my nutrients, minerals, fats, carbs, and proteins in mind. Esp as a vegan. Weight gain is not only caused by excess calories, but with too much fat (the wrong kind of fat), too many carbs ( the wrong kind of carbs), and even too much protein. Not to mention gluten intolerances, wheat intolerances, medical issues, any type of disease, diabetes, or medication which may cause issues with weight gain, or make it harder to drop weight. For the average person who doesnt exercise, calories in and calories out can work well. For others it might not be quite that simple.

Watching your calories is a handy tool many people use to control their weight. But it's possible to achieve a deficit (or an excess or to maintain) without doing that.

Just because you aren't counting calories doesn't mean that you can't get into a deficit, it's just an easy way some people ensure they're doing it. If I decided to restrict my diet by eliminating, say, any food with a name that had more than one vowel in it and I wound up losing weight, it doesn't mean that vowels make you fat. It just means that there are many tricks people can use to possibly create a deficit other than counting calories. I created a deficit by removing some sources of calories and not replacing them with others.

Too many fats, carbohydrates, or protein aren't going to cause weight gain if one is overall consuming less than one is burning.

This doesn't mean that we don't have to meet our nutritional needs (we do, vegan or not). And yes, active people do have higher calorie needs (this is a pleasant side effect of activity for many people). But that doesn't mean that we too won't gain weight if, consistently, we consume more calories than we burn. Calories in and calories out will work for everyone. Don't confuse this with people advocating "too much restriction" of calories. Smaller deficits, consistently hit, will also produce weight loss.

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    My personal experience has taught me that when i eat the vegan junk food.... I maintain or gain weight. The beans lentils and such are my protein source. I have been losing weight eating these daily. I eat the calories im supposed to and exercise daily.
    Each person is different. This is my story.

It's possible that the vegan junk food is not accurately labeled, so that a food item labeled 200 calories is really closer to 300...I find it difficult to believe any packaged product because so many watchdog organizations have found labeling to be wildly inaccurate either in calories per serving or number of servings per package, both of which can have a huge impact on actual consumption compared to what you *think* you are consuming.
  • JustRobby1
    edited August 2017
    Options
    "Weight gain is not only caused by excess calories, but with too much fat (the wrong kind of fat), too many carbs ( the wrong kind of carbs)"

Wrong. Plain and simple. You can have a diet of 100% fat and carbs and lose weight if you are in a calorie deficit. I am not sure who is filling your head with so much false information.
  • JustRobby1
    edited August 2017
    Options

That is a link to a glorified blog written by a non-medical professional from 2013. If that is what you are basing your opinions on than I can see why you are having difficulties. There are no shortage of fruit loops in the world that deny CICO, just like there are people out there who still think the moon landing was hoaxed and that chemtrails are slowly poisoning us, but that does not make them any less wrong.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    JustRobby1 wrote: »

That is a link to a glorified blog written by a non-medical professional from 2013. If that is what you are basing your opinions on than I can see why you are having difficulties.

Where did she state she was having difficulties?
  • JustRobby1
    Options
    JustRobby1 wrote: »

That is a link to a glorified blog written by a non-medical professional from 2013. If that is what you are basing your opinions on than I can see why you are having difficulties.

Where did she state she was having difficulties?

Not having a proper grasp of reality qualifies as difficulty in my book.
  • ember168
    Options
    Im not having issues. I simply introduced myself. I told my experience. And no... Thats not the only info im basing my responses on. I was trying so hard not to put this out there bc its frustrating to be told how to do something by someone when you didnt ask.... I have a bachelor's degree in nutritional sciences. I spent 4 years studying how the body works with calories, proteins, carbs, and fats. I studied how to adjust a diet to account for preference, medical issues, and even religious dietary requirements. Everything is a factor which must be considered and taken into account when designing a meal plan for someone. Im working towards my internship and my licensing to be able to self practice one day soon. So yes, i do know what im talking about, i was simply trying not to shove it in anyone's face. Thats why i said, my experiences, my story, and i wasnt telling anyone how to eat.
  • JustRobby1
    Options
    Im not having issues. I simply introduced myself. I told my experience. And no... Thats not the only info im basing my responses on. I was trying so hard not to put this out there bc its frustrating to be told how to do something by someone when you didnt ask.... I have a bachelor's degree in nutritional sciences. I spent 4 years studying how the body works with calories, proteins, carbs, and fats. I studied how to adjust a diet to account for preference, medical issues, and even religious dietary requirements. Everything is a factor which must be considered and taken into account when designing a meal plan for someone. Im working towards my internship and my licensing to be able to self practice one day soon. So yes, i do know what im talking about, i was simply trying not to shove it in anyone's face. Thats why i said, my experiences, my story, and i wasnt telling anyone how to eat.

Not that I needed a CV, but thanks nonetheless, and I will be sure to be on the lookout for your groundbreaking academic research in the peer reviewed literature disproving CICO. Good luck
  • ember168
    Options
    Lol, have a good life.

• lenkearney
    lenkearney Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Welcome Raven! ⭐️. Looking forward to following your success!
  • ember168
    Options
    Why thank you!