649lbs and 3790 calories

Options

Replies

• davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    OP - Go on mate, you are in the right place doing the right thing :-)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,946 Member
    Options
    I guess my question is did the doctor give you a plan, and are they having you come in on a regular basis for follow up, or did they just off hand say 2000 or 2500? How engaged were they in the conversation?

Yes, if the doctor provided a whole plan and a dire warning I'd go with that. Doesn't sound like that's what happened however.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Go with what the doctor told you. The MFP estimate is just an automatic mathematical calculation, not something a medical practitioner came up with after assessing your condition.
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I would start at the 3700 cals - keep protein up & eat veggies, fruits will help ease cravings for sweets - get what exercise that you can without stressing yourself. just get up and move around, you can increase it as you get stronger. Start gradually and sneak up on it. After a period of time you can increase your exercise & decrease your cal intake. make your changes gradually and stay is close touch with a Doc.
    When you exercise monitor your heartrate - don't let it get high.
    You can do this. It will take effort on your part. We had a patient who started at 640 lbs She got down to 500 & some change before she left our care & went to a different facility. Eastcoast Jim
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    our patients were at a much lower cal intake - but they were in- patient at the 24 hr medical care. Some took it seriously - others smuggled in buckets of KFC or Mc D
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Here's some math: 679 lb. of which 1% per week is 6.79 lb lost.
    3790 calories, MFP's limit recommendation of -1000 calorie deficit per day for 2 lb per week loss.
    4790 calories, your maintenance level of calories. Eat this and you won't lose weight.

6.8*500=3400, or expressed as a calorie deficit -3400. That's the calorie deficit to lose 1% of your body weight fat in a week.

4790 (maintenance) - 3400 (1% loss target) = 1390. Funny, that's the calorie goal I was eating at when I started trying to lose weight last year. It was too few calories for me and it's probably too few calories for you.

My point is that the myfitnesspal algorithm will never let you ask to lose more than 2 lb per week, but you in particular can. It is also true that the myfitnesspal algorithm will never recommend a man eat less than 1500 calories., and you just like the rest of us should not.

There is a ton of flexibility between 2000 and 3790. Find your happy place in there. After you've lost 20 or so lb, we'll explain how to adjust your starting weight in your user profile to get a new, lower, calorie target from MFP.

• goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Had went to a hospital they said 2000. Went to doctor I believe she said 2500 calories... but she didn't calculate anything.... mfp says 3790, of course I like the higher number. I just don't know what number to use! They all say different things.

If you think that you are more likely to succeed at 3790 than at 2500 or 2000 calories, then it sounds to me like you should stick with 3790. Your perception counts. If you dread the idea of 2500, then you are more likely to not get started at all, or not restart after a bad day (and we all have them).

Good for you for taking control of your eating and your health. I agree with others that suggest that MFP is the right place to be.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Just read a few more of the comments, specifically those advising you to follow doctors orders rather than internet advice. I see the wisdom in that. Doctors have decided that it's wise for you to lose some of your weight quickly, so there may be some health risk in losing it slowly. And losing weight under a doctor's care (or other voice of authority) has been shown to have one of the higher success rates, I can see how advising you to ignore your doctor's advice can be viewed as doing you a disservice.

Unless it is the case that you have been advised something similar for a while now but haven't been able to follow it for any length of time. Which I guess I was inferring, but perhaps inappropriately. If it is the case though, I stick with my advice to lose weight the same way I do, and the same way I advise others here to all the time: lose the weight slowly, making the process as enjoyable as you can.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    Can you get a referral to a registered dietitian? Working with your Dr.'s health assessment and dietary suggestions, they would be in the best position to tell you how much you should eat for weight loss, and what you should eat for health. I don't think trying to reconcile conflicting inputs from various sources will be effective for you in the long run.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    The most important thing in all of it is consistency. Log the good the bad and the ugly. None of us are perfect, we have all had our moments of going off the rails for a day or a week or a month. The important thing is to just keep going.

I actually find logging grounding in the overall context of day to day life and I've seen others say the same.

Good luck and we're here for all of those moments if you need us.