Obese vegan looking to change to WFPBNO

Options
Hey everyone:) my name is Athena and I turned vegan 1.5 years ago! My only problem with switching to this lifestyle is there are still so many unhealthy options out there:( I started MyFitnesspal to help keep me accountable to transitioning to a WHole Foods Plant Based No Oil lifestyle! If any of you out there have tips I would love friends to help encourage me and vice versa! Let's do this!

Replies

• AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Why no oil? Fats are very healthy and necessary. Will you be getting adequate fat from vegan sources like avocado and nuts?
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Get a food scale from walmart if you don't have one. Log every bite. Make sure you get your good fats since the brain needs fat to function. Your new plan involves a lot of cooking; hope you have the time.
  • crystales
    crystales Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi @healthyathena I find that going plant based meant cooking from scratch a lot more, meal prepping for the week & buying less processed foods. I treat mock meats etc like a treat, a sometimes food. Also, I eat oils, why did you cut them out?
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    What's your rationale for no oils? Fats are vital for many, many reasons...
  • jw17695
    jw17695 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Have you heard of Chef AJ? She promotes a SOS (salt, oil, sugar) free plant based lifestyle. She has some great recipes.
  • healthyathena
    healthyathena Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    What's your rationale for no oils? Fats are vital for many, many reasons...
    Alatariel I agree that the body needs fat but Oil is a highly processed, calorie dense food that has no health benefits at all. I have found there are many ways to cook without using oil. I get my healthy fats from whole plant foods such as avocados, nuts, and seeds:) Forks over knives is a great film which inspired me to go WFPBNO:)

• healthyathena
    Options
    jw17695 wrote: »
    Have you heard of Chef AJ? She promotes a SOS (salt, oil, sugar) free plant based lifestyle. She has some great recipes.
    Thank you I will have to check her out:)
  • healthyathena
    Options
    crystales wrote: »
    Hi @healthyathena I find that going plant based meant cooking from scratch a lot more, meal prepping for the week & buying less processed foods. I treat mock meats etc like a treat, a sometimes food. Also, I eat oils, why did you cut them out?
    I am starting to realize that unless i prepared it myself it's really hard to stay true to WFPBNO. Thanks for the tips!
  • healthyathena
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    Why no oil? Fats are very healthy and necessary. Will you be getting adequate fat from vegan sources like avocado and nuts?
    I agree that the body needs fat but Oil is a highly processed, calorie dense food that has no health benefits at all. I have found there are many ways to cook without using oil. I get my healthy fats from whole plant foods such as avocados, nuts, and seeds:) Forks over knives is a great film which inspired me to go WFPBNO:)
  • healthyathena
    Options
    Get a food scale from walmart if you don't have one. Log every bite. Make sure you get your good fats since the brain needs fat to function. Your new plan involves a lot of cooking; hope you have the time.
    Thank you for the tips! I'm a stay at home mom so I have more time than most;)
  • hoffman2300
    hoffman2300 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Hi - I found a Eat for Life/Dr Joel Fuhrman thread somewhere here at MFP - just search for it and it should come up. Not sure if you're doing his plan but he is definitely a vegan no oil, salt or sugar person. If you aren't familiar with him - he's also got a few cookbooks (and I definitely recommend the book!). He uses lots of nuts and beans so the recipes tend to be a little higher in calories.
  • healthyathena
    Options
    Hi - I found a Eat for Life/Dr Joel Fuhrman thread somewhere here at MFP - just search for it and it should come up. Not sure if you're doing his plan but he is definitely a vegan no oil, salt or sugar person. If you aren't familiar with him - he's also got a few cookbooks (and I definitely recommend the book!). He uses lots of nuts and beans so the recipes tend to be a little higher in calories.
    Oh i love him, didn't realize he was on here, thanks for the tip hoffman2300

• StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Hi Athena, check out Engine 2 diet. I did the 7-day challenge and now am pretty much WFPB, but still use EVOO spray in really small amounts just to keep the homemade veggie burgers and carrot dogs from sticking. I also use an occasional tablespoon of shredded parmesan for a seasoning, but it has not slowed down my progress. Rip Essylsten dad is the forks over knives guy and Rip took it to the masses. Like Crystales said, it really is a lot of meal prepping and the occasional Boca burger is a treat. I decided to go WFPB June 26th and have lost 36lbs following this way of eating. My energy level is through the roof, I am getting plenty of protein and the recipe possibilities are endless. Check out the Engine 2 Facebook page, it has tons of support and endless recipes.
  • healthyathena
    Options
    StevLL wrote: »
    Hi Athena, check out Engine 2 diet. I did the 7-day challenge and now am pretty much WFPB, but still use EVOO spray in really small amounts just to keep the homemade veggie burgers and carrot dogs from sticking. I also use an occasional tablespoon of shredded parmesan for a seasoning, but it has not slowed down my progress. Rip Essylsten dad is the forks over knives guy and Rip took it to the masses. Like Crystales said, it really is a lot of meal prepping and the occasional Boca burger is a treat. I decided to go WFPB June 26th and have lost 36lbs following this way of eating. My energy level is through the roof, I am getting plenty of protein and the recipe possibilities are endless. Check out the Engine 2 Facebook page, it has tons of support and endless recipes.
    That's so awesome SteveLL ! I will check out the engine 2 Facebook page:) Good luck on the rest of your journey!
  • vganggirl
    vganggirl Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm a vegan trying to loose weight, I've recently cut out all white carbs, refined sugars and oils. Having a lot of legumes, nuts, veg avocados olives etc and I've lost almost 3lbs in 10 days :)
  • healthyathena
    Options
    vganggirl wrote: »
    Hi I'm a vegan trying to loose weight, I've recently cut out all white carbs, refined sugars and oils. Having a lot of legumes, nuts, veg avocados olives etc and I've lost almost 3lbs in 10 days :)
    That's fantastic vganggirl !
  • karipenney20
    karipenney20 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am WFPBNO as well. Summer has been crazy and I ate way too much vegan junk. Today is my first day tracking and getting back on track. Good luck to you in your journey!
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    You are making it harder than it needs to be for no reason. Now if you can do it good for you. But to avoid gaining the weight back this needs to be a lifestyle change. Are you going to eat this way for the rest of your life?

Good luck but I see failure ahead as unsustainable xhange.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Don't nuts, avocados and olives still have the oil in them, just not separated and extracted?