Step Aerobics

Options
I ordered the 80's style step equipment and have been doing step aerobics at home via youtube videos. I am wondering if anyone else completes this work out and do you have success in leaning out your legs? I can tell you it is quite the work out, and I sweat really well.

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I like step aerobics sometimes......great cardio. Jenny Ford is great!

It won't necessarily "lean out your legs." Just lose weight and your body will pick and choose where the fat loss comes from. We don't get to control this, it's largely genetic.
  • daynasrose
    daynasrose Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I actually just got out my step again a couple of months ago. My legs were already lean, though, so can't say currently if it helped with that. However, when I first started step when I was 19 (loooong time ago lol) I lost 8lbs from doing it. I didn't measure my legs back then but that is where I carry most of my weight so I am sure I did lose it there.

I agree with TeaBea - Jenny Ford is great! She's who I use for step. I burn almost as many calories doing her Step routines as I do when I run. She has pretty good strength training to boot.
  • schewe1
    schewe1 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I am falling in love with it! It is such a great way to get the heart rate up and in little time too. About 12 minutes in and I can feel the cardio aspect of it. I asked about leaning the legs because I have always had "soccer legs" I call them. I just want to make them toner and hopefully leaner. I am going to measure my legs and see if I am able to tighten them up along with the legs. I have lost 20 pounds since May with a healthy diet and just am now incorporating different types of strength and cardio training to further my fitness goals. :) I used Jenny Ford early this morning and yeah, she is really good!
  • shelleyrhoads
    shelleyrhoads Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I have a step. I do an hour almost every day for about 6 months now. I don't do a video I just listen to music and step. But my legs are strong and you can see every muscle. It's also a great bum workout. Some people might think my legs are too bulky but I don't care. Plus I think it is just genetics
  • daynasrose
    daynasrose Posts: 46 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    schewe1 wrote: »
    Yeah, I am falling in love with it! It is such a great way to get the heart rate up and in little time too. About 12 minutes in and I can feel the cardio aspect of it. I asked about leaning the legs because I have always had "soccer legs" I call them. I just want to make them toner and hopefully leaner. I am going to measure my legs and see if I am able to tighten them up along with the legs. I have lost 20 pounds since May with a healthy diet and just am now incorporating different types of strength and cardio training to further my fitness goals. :) I used Jenny Ford early this morning and yeah, she is really good!

Glad you like her! :) With the added strength training and a good nutrition plan in line you should lose inches. Just remember we can't choose where we lose it. In my experience women tend to lose weight up top first, at least that is what always happens with me (bye bye boobies).
  • minniestar55
    minniestar55 Posts: 346 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I love step. Been doing various flavours of aerobic step since the original Reebok step & Gin Miller (I think that was her name!). Have a step teacher locally who teaches a superb step class, varying levels of impact, very high intensity, not dancey. I love her classes, go to her class 3x weekly. 45 min class leaves me dripping! I've done some Jenny Ford, they are ok, but I am biased in favour of my teacher! There are some old step videos still floating around from 1990s, I have an old one by Susan Powter which is fairly low impact & intensity.
    Step class fits well into my workout schedule; I go to gym about an hour before class & do a bit of weights, then some treadmill or elliptical stuff, then step. On alternate days, I Nordic walk about 30-45 mins, then Go to bootcamp. With a rest day.
    Lovely to hear there are still some folks around who enjoy step! We have. Couple men in our class, too!