Need advice about weekend diet and exercise!

Options
So during the week, I am more or less very strict with my diet and exercise, but when the weekend comes it seems to all go out of the window! I barely track any of my calories on the weekend, and I seem to stuff my face and make up reasons not to exercise. I feel like splurging on the weekends defeats the whole purpose of me being healthy during the week! if anyone could send me some advice on how to cut this out i would DEFINITELY appreciate it!

Replies

• banjjo
    banjjo Posts: 89
    Options
    The weekend is my hardest time, at least for the diet part! Sometimes I try and give myself a small cheat day to have things I enjoy. It's never hurt me. Just do it in moderation.
  • myurav
    myurav Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    i definitely know what you mean. it can be harder to eat healthier on the weekends. when i first lost weight a few years ago, i actually gave myself 400 more calories per day on the weekends in order to change up my calories a bit and in order not to feel deprived. that could definitely be an option - it's a bit like calorie cycling, and may even keep you from plateauing (if weight loss is your goal). you can eat a bit less during the weekdays to compensate.

it may also help to carry around healthy snacks, or even eat a small meal at home before going out so you're less hungry when you're out. in terms of alcohol, i tend to stay away from beer and stick with rum or vodka with a zero calorie mixer. i personally prefer the taste, but it's also a good way to keep some calories down.

do you have MFP for your phone? that's a great way to track your calories if you're out. if not, maybe keep some paper and a pen, just so you can write it down and remember it for later.

hope this helps!
  • birdlover97111
    birdlover97111 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Weekends are hard for me, too...I used to use weekends as an excuse not to exercise...Now, I treat each day the same as each other...Get up in the morning and tell myself it is time to get healthy, no more excuses..!!...Good luck on your journey... :flowerforyou:
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    It kinda depends. Are your weekends so liberal that it's counterproductive to your progress? If so, my advice would be to treat the weekend like any other day. No matter where you are, who you're with, or what venue you happen to be celebrating, a bit of pre-planning could help edge out the debauchery.

I look at weekends like a free day to work out earlier in the day and leave the night life open to social engagements, or days to venture out into eating different foods, within reason. Or, you could have one free day of increased calorie intake and have 6 strict days to give yourself an allowance.

It's all up to how serious you feel about committing to your plan. If your goal is somewhat loose or open-ended, so will the mental focus behind it.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I like that the weekends give me MORE time to exercise, and LESS time to eat!!
  • FaithsVegWorkout
    Options
    My trainer says it's important that you eat well 80% of the time. I think my plan is to let Sundays be a day where I don't track what I eat. I won't be binging, but it will be my day of rest, so to speak.

I think it's ok to relax a little on the weekends as long as it's not to eat a whole bag of chips or a whole container of ice cream, etc.
  • plantgrrl
    plantgrrl Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I use the MFP app for my phone (android)--I think they have it for all the phones that can take apps.
    If I'm going to a restaurant, I try to look up the calories and pick my meal/track it in the journal BEFORE I go to the restaurant. My goal is to always be able to track a loss or at worst no change in weight for monday
    I LOVE the Saturday farmer's market about 3 miles from my house, so I get up a little earlier on Saturdays lately and walk to the farmers market. I have a pedometer and have a daily goal for steps taken (it also tracks calories burned!) so I'm a little competitive with myself.
    I love that MFP gives you the number of days in a row you've logged in, so I use that to make myself login every day--which leads to tracking everyday.
    The forums and seeing my pals success keeps me on point--when I see someone succeeding on the forums it makes me want to get up and go do some jumping jacks or get off my butt--if they can do it so can it!
    Motivational pictures on the fridge, or desktop wall paper, new exercise clothes, presents for yourself when you hit a mini goal (I'm buying a spibelt for when I go jogging when I drop past 150 lbs!) these are the things that make me stop eating when I've only had 1/2 that slice of cheesecake or get bored around the house and make myself go for a walk instead of sitting on the couch eating ice cream. :)

Hope this helps some! I LOVE the phone app--I don't think I could do this as well without the support of MFP friends and forums and the phone app. :)
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    You have to decide how badly you want to reach your goals and keep the reasons you are doing this top of mind.

Sounds like you need to have a better plan for the weekends. If you make decisions ahead of time on what you will consume, then there is less chance for impulsive eating and drinking.

Good Luck!
  • bmarq21
    bmarq21 Posts: 45
    Options
    the sad thing is that I actually do have MFP on my phone but for some reason i just dont enter anything on there during the weekend (besides today). I guess I just realy have to get out of this mindset that I can eat what I want on weekends and just work it off during the week. I always feel really guilty after splurging yet I continue to do it
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    the sad thing is that I actually do have MFP on my phone but for some reason i just dont enter anything on there during the weekend (besides today). I guess I just realy have to get out of this mindset that I can eat what I want on weekends and just work it off during the week. I always feel really guilty after splurging yet I continue to do it

Eat with guiltless purpose. If you're gonna grub hard, just go back to regular healthy eating once that day is done. You can't change what happened.
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I agree with what someone else said. I choose one day of the weekend to be my "rest" day from exercise and my free day with food, so that my body doesn't get too comfortable-- but then I get back on the horse the very next day. Instead of eating with reckless abandon when the mood strikes you, you can plan it in there and give it a purpose!
  • mishelnkiki
    mishelnkiki Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    weekends suck! i love them, but they are terrible for my fitness!
  • Panda_Jack
    Panda_Jack Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    I must be the exception... while I do eat more on the weekends its generally because that's when I have the most time to work out. I usually do my long workouts on those days and can pretty much eat what ever I want... but its usually the sodium that kills me.