Best Meal Replacement Shakes for Weight Loss

Options
Rachel_Elizabeth89
Rachel_Elizabeth89 Posts: 1 Member
edited August 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello. I am 5'5", 164lbs. I am looking to shed a good 25-30lbs. I'd like to attempt replacing one meal a day with a meal replacement shake. Overall, i need to shed some pounds and tone up quite a bit. I'm looking for recommendations on a quality meal replacement shake at an affordable price. Can anyone recommend? Thanks!

Replies

• FernRunner
    FernRunner Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I can't offer shake advice, as I don't drink them, but I started last October about where you are now (5'5", 167 pounds), and I was 135 this morning. If more support might help you on your journey, feel free to add me. My food diary is always open, for better and for worse
  • AlyssaPetsDogs
    AlyssaPetsDogs Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I like idealshakes! They aren't an MLM and they are affordable and taste great with almond milk. I have one for breakfast and one as a snack sometimes. It does get boring, but it works for me.
    I liked all the flavors except mocha, orange dreamsicle, and strawberry! Haven't tried key lime! All the rest are fantastic!
  • PalmChris
    PalmChris Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    How about an Optifast shake, 160 calories and it's a complete meal. Never hungry afterward.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to replace a meal? Don't you like to eat?
  • skymningen
    skymningen Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    A meal replacement shake might help you to lose some pounds (if it is low calorie), but it will do nothing to "tone you up". If you have been maintaining your current weight with what you currently eat then you could basically add some exercise (resistance and strength) to build up/keep muscle (-> tone) and not eat the exercise calories back (-> deficit compared to before).
    Without the exercise, there will be no "toning" anyway.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Walmart has Pure Protein which is affordable. I drank one in the morning about an hour after my coffee. Did not really replace a meal, but it kept me from snacking on JUNK.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    The only time meal replacement shakes would be of benefit to me would be for a brief period if I was unable to physically eat/chew anything, for example, after dental surgery or something.

I could also see them being useful in a case where not having one would mean that I didn't eat at all, such as the morning rush to get out the door. But even then, I would opt for a breakfast bar or some yogurt and a handful of grapes over a shake.

Using shakes as a weight loss 'strategy' wouldn't work for me at all. :)
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    PalmChris wrote: »
    How about an Optifast shake, 160 calories and it's a complete meal. Never hungry afterward.
    So later on down the road, she eats a meal that ends up being more than that 160 calorie shake when replacing it. Why? Because the shake doesn't teach you how to eat correctly.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

To my way of thinking, this is a critical point. I also agree with others that ask why. Eat what you normally eat. Just less of it and learn how to eat to stay at a healthy weight.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I really like Fitmiss Vanilla Chai. I use these occasionally when I'm in a hurry or just feel like having a shake!
    To everyone else's point, though, I have to add Greek yogurt, bananas, fruit, oats, etc..something extra in order for it to be satiating in any way. Most of my shakes end up in the 300+ calorie range.
    I like Idealshake as well. I have a couple of tubs of that around the house.
  • eleesJourney
    eleesJourney Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hello! I use meal replacement shakes bought from CVS. It says it's Soy 130 cals and if I get a deal I have also bought Herbalife. I like them both, vanilla/cookies n creme flavor and it fills me up. However, I usually replace Only my lunches Mon-Friday .. busy at work or running errands during my lunch, shakes just work best for me.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I like Body Fortress because it isn't gritty and actually tastes good. I get the chocolate flavor and I usually add cold coffee instead of water. Then throw in some ice cubes and yr good to go. Makes a good breakfast and saves me time in the AM. It also helps me meet the daily protein requirement while not going over calories.