Runner: Pain in toe

I run anywhere from 8-15 km a day, everday. I have noticed that my second toe beside my big toe, which is the toe that sticks out the farthest, has a callus on it. Recently (within the past week), the tip of the toe (where the callus is) has really started hurting. At first, I thought my nail was too long so I clipped it. But it still hurts. I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem, what it is, and how to treat it? My shoes are the correst size and my toes do not touch the end of them. Thanks

Replies

• Hoshiko
    Hoshiko Posts: 179 Member
    Does the nail bed hurt when you push on it, or just the tip of the toe? Do you scrunch up your toes in the shoe when you run?
  • ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    I know that the condition is may be called Morton's toe or something like that. I have the same thing in my right feet and that finger is always completely beat up. I just lost the nail few days ago. The problem for me is not so much the feet or the finger, but I believe that this condition is causing some pain in my knee, so I will go see a doctor about this. I read somewhere that the solution are some orthotics.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Half a size bigger shoes solved the problem for me.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    You can also experiment with different ways of lacing your shoe in case your foot slides forward a tad when you run. Google how to lace running shoes.
  • pianoplaya94
    pianoplaya94 Posts: 185 Member
    edited August 2017
    Hoshiko wrote: »
    Does the nail bed hurt when you push on it, or just the tip of the toe? Do you scrunch up your toes in the shoe when you run?

When I push on my nail bed, my toe hurts, yes. But the pain still radiates to the top portion of my toe. I am actually not sure if I scrunch my toes when I run. I think I might.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    I had a similar issue because my second toe also sticks out further then my big toe. My toe nail turned black and got real thick, then It pulled right off one day and there was another toe nail that grew under it.

I addition to the mention about the shoes, also make sure you dont pull your socks on too tight against your toes, and when you put your shoes on, make sure they are loose enough not to pull your sock tips to tight against your toes.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    I run anywhere from 8-15 km a day, everday.

How long have you been doing that?
    Recently (within the past week), the tip of the toe (where the callus is) has really started hurting

What's changed recently? New kit, new route, new routine?
  • jdscrubs32
    jdscrubs32 Posts: 514 Member
    I could be wrong but that sounds like runners toe. The nail will become a darkish colour soon if not already and all that is is the blood coagulates in the nail. The nail is dead. A new nail will grow underneath the dead nail and will eventually push the old nail out until it falls off. Nothing to worry about. Started getting myself last year.
  • LisaEatSleepRun
    LisaEatSleepRun Posts: 159 Member
    jdscrubs32 wrote: »
    I could be wrong but that sounds like runners toe. The nail will become a darkish colour soon if not already and all that is is the blood coagulates in the nail. The nail is dead. A new nail will grow underneath the dead nail and will eventually push the old nail out until it falls off. Nothing to worry about. Started getting myself last year.

This for sure. My second from big toe has a black nail at the moment. I thought it was an ingrown nail causing pain and a little swelling, but after a few days the pain went away and it turned black. I think it's a repetitive strain type injury that happens to runners and other active people. If it doesn't resolve, get it checked out though just to be safe!
  • jdscrubs32
    jdscrubs32 Posts: 514 Member
    jdscrubs32 wrote: »

This for sure. My second from big toe has a black nail at the moment. I thought it was an ingrown nail causing pain and a little swelling, but after a few days the pain went away and it turned black. I think it's a repetitive strain type injury that happens to runners and other active people. If it doesn't resolve, get it checked out though just to be safe!

When I got it the first time on a nail on my right foot last year, I was wondering what it was. Did the stupid thing and googled it. Once I got past the "I'm going to die" posts, I discovered it was runners toe. As soon a new nail formed on that toe, I got it on the same toe on the left foot. Has just now cleared and new nail has come up.
  • Hoshiko
    Hoshiko Posts: 179 Member
    Sometimes people scrunch their toes in their shoes to try to grip if the shoe is too loose. It's not something you'd notice unless it causes pain or an injury. Changing your lacing may help.

It could be both, you could have damaged the nail, and you could also have the callous from repetitive movement while you run. Check your fit again, re-lace, and if it were me I'd also put a bandaid around the toe just to see if it helps reduce some of the friction.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    As others have said, If the second toe is significantly longer than your "big toe" you may need to go up an additional half size.
  • thechiopodist
    thechiopodist Posts: 216 Member
    You must fit your shoes to your longest toe, and lace your shoes up tightly enough so that your feet don't slide forward. It sounds like you may have a corn, which will neef to be removed by a chiropodist/podiatrist.
  • kavahni
    kavahni Posts: 313 Member
    What everyone else said, and try out a pair of Injinji sox. They are toe sox made to go in those nutty toe shoes, but they help pad toes in regular shoes better than regular sox. Even better than fantastic regular sox. I was surprised at how much they've helped me.