Depression and Weight Loss... Any tips?

Options
Hi! My name is Aaliyah. It's nice to meet all of you. My goal is to lose about 15 pounds and go back to my healthiest weight of 125. I want to eventually be 115 but I'm taking baby steps. Basically, the reason for my weight gain over the last year was a result of me losing myself. I got far too involved with pursuing relationships with teenage boys, and completely ditched homework, cultivating a social life, maintaining my diet and exercise regime, and even pursuing my interests in literature. After deciding to take a break from dating, I had nothing. No friends, no hobbies, nothing that made me happy. Now, trying to pick up the pieces is super hard. Over the last few months, I've immersed myself in literature and started a business, so I've had other things to focus on, which is positive. However, I developed a food addiction, and while it didn't affect my weight, I can't seem to kick the urge to eat my feels away!

In summary, I'm making a lot of changes really quickly and I feel extremely overwhelmed. I need LOTS support and any advice you can possibly give me. P

Replies

• QJ18
    QJ18 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi Aaliyah! I have also struggled with eating my feelings away...happy to support you on your journey!
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Are you going on a low calorie diet? Consider taking a multi-vitamin to fill in the gaps. Low levels of vitD can make depression worse. Low levels of folate and b vitamins can also cause problems.
    Make sure you meet your protein goals, since low protein can also cause mood problems. Make sure you eat veggies at least once a day.
  • IONickname
    IONickname Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am all too familiar with eating my feelings away. When I find myself with a deep-down craving, I give myself the apple test. It's the only way I can tell whether I'm truly hungry or trying to stuff feelings away. So when I'm feeling those feelings, I ask myself, "Will eating an apple help?" If it will, I will eat it. If an apple won't suffice, I realize I'm really not hungry, so I try and address my feelings in other ways, such as journaling, going for a walk, or calling up a friend. The reason this works for me is because I am ambivalent about apples. I know they are healthy and are fairly nutritious, but not a snack I would normally seek out. Find a nutritious snack that you know you'd only eat if you were hungry and use that as your litmus test. I hope you meet your goal!
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I am trying to tackle my depression, as I have done before, with exercise. I find that putting all that negative into something positive helps somewhat and hopefully, will keep me off medication once again.