New and Frustrated/Any advice appreciated!

Options
Hi I am new to MFP. I have been doing it a week and I am very frustrated!!! I have not lost an ounce. I was wondering does everyone here just follow the site recommended caloric intake? I have been eating sooo much less than I usally do and nothing plus walking 3 miles a day. How long before I see some kind of result??

Replies

• bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Hi I am new to MFP. I have been doing it a week and I am very frustrated!!! I have not lost an ounce. I was wondering does everyone here just follow the site recommended caloric intake? I have been eating sooo much less than I usally do and nothing plus walking 3 miles a day. How long before I see some kind of result??

Welcome to MFP! I took a look at your food diary for the week. If you focus on making small improvements in the quality of your food choices... over time it will yield big results! Shoot for less processed and fast foods and more wholesome, healthy choices including lean meats, fruits and vegetables. Without cutting out the empty calories, losing weight will be a very slow and frustrating process I'm afraid. But don't give up! Just keep on taking small steps every single day!
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    Options

Welcome to MFP! I took a look at your food diary for the week. If you focus on making small improvements in the quality of your food choices... over time it will yield big results! Shoot for less processed and fast foods and more wholesome, healthy choices including lean meats, fruits and vegetables. Without cutting out the empty calories, losing weight will be a very slow and frustrating process I'm afraid. But don't give up! Just keep on taking small steps every single day!

I agree with this. Perhaps try cutting out soda and going for water? I was never much of a soda drinker, but I know that others have had huge successes with cutting out soda. Try to go for lean proteins, lots of veggies and whole grains. Keep at it though, sometimes it takes a little of bit of time for your body to respond (dealing with the same thing, here!). Keep at it!
  • lugovelb
    lugovelb Posts: 60
    Options
    Well every person is diferent, however for me is once i start taking less calories i start losing about a pound or 2 a day. Some of the tips is follow your diet to the letter. make not of every single thing you eat. Even if is only 10 calories make sure you take note of that. Also other thing i do is to only use the calories without excercise. For example my recomended intake is less than 1450 and more than 1200 so i use that regardless of how much excesice However remmeber I am not an expert and I could be all wrong but this is what work for me. Also fell free to add me for support
  • mamacremers
    mamacremers Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    you have to count EVERY calorie and eat every calorie exercised off. Little bites of this and that here and there add up quickly! If you make your food diary public, that may help others help you.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    as you're making small adjustments to your eating (both types of food choices and portion sizes), add sodium as one of the nutrients you track--excessive sodium intake makes it difficult for some people to lose weight. Also, drink lots of water, if you're not already.

Everyone sees results at a different point--just keep working on it and you will start to see progress ;)
  • azsuzi
    azsuzi Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Hello. I just took a look at your diary and I noticed you eat a lot of fast food. Try eating less of the fast food and more fresh fruits and veggies - and remember to drink your water (I didn't see any water logged). When you eat veggies, its amazing how much you have to eat in order to get in all of your calories. The water will help flush out toxins and fat and will normalize your hydration. Some people are afraid to drink water because they think they'll gain water weight. But the opposite is really true - if you're holding water weight, you have to drink water to lose it!

Good luck to you.
  • James_1954
    James_1954 Posts: 187 Member
    Options

I, too, had a look at the diary. I see a lot of meals either skipped or not tracked. And Dr. Pepper is not your friend. I recommend replacing Dr. Pepper with Mr. Water.

The calories are important ... but think of them as an investment. "I have such-and-such number of calories to spend ... what return can I get for it, in fiber, protein, vitamins, etc.?" Fruits and vegetables and lean meats are good "buys." Fast food and soda ... not so much.

Good luck, and hang in there!
  • theprettyone1010
    theprettyone1010 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Definitely cut out the soda. Soda isn't breakfast! I still drink soda, almost every day, but in moderation and I eat fruit/veggies every day. It's hard to make changes, I'm struggling as well, but it'll make a huge difference. Good luck & welcome to MFP!
  • CoachKaren
    CoachKaren Posts: 90
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! I just looked at your food Diary. :-) The QUALITY of calorie is as important the QUANTITY of the calorie. Soda, Mayo....those things wont cut it. You gotta CUT THOSE OUT. Plus, if your diary is accurate, there are days when you are only eating once a day. You cant consider Dr. Pepper and a Banana a meal. You will feel better, have more energy, and stay fuller longer if you make sure that all your meals contain a Lean Protein, a complex carb, and, at times, a healthy fat. I hope this helps.
  • kelseyt17
    kelseyt17 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    People are different I didn't lose weight for the first 2 weeks. Then I started losing 2 pounds every week since then.