Anyone here flexible dieting/IIFYM?? Could do with some inspo!

Options
Just started today, and could do with hearing some good stuff and getting some hints on getting my protein levels up without living on chicken and tuna :) I've never tried this but am intrigued to see how it works. Also starting a very basic weights routine as have had past injuries so need to start small

Replies

• Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Greek yogurt
    Nuts
    Beans
    Cheese
    Cottage cheese
    Eggs....
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    my main soucres of protein - chicken, shrimp, turkey, pork; full-fat yogurt (noosa, culinary circle)

I do 140g of protein a day
  • katmac7
    katmac7 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    my main soucres of protein - chicken, shrimp, turkey, pork; full-fat yogurt (noosa, culinary circle)

so is full fat yoghurt higher protein than low fat/no fat?
    I didn't know this and haven't switched but I will do if this is the case
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    katmac7 wrote: »

the full fat yogurt I use is Noosa (happens to be the container I have with my today):
    8oz is 36g carbs, 11g fat and 14g protein - which is about the same as a chobani greek yogurt - but I find the full fat keeps me satiated longer - I can eat 2 chobani and still want more, but this will fill me up
  • MommaGem2017
    MommaGem2017 Posts: 405 Member
    Options

the full fat yogurt I use is Noosa (happens to be the container I have with my today):
    8oz is 36g carbs, 11g fat and 14g protein - which is about the same as a chobani greek yogurt - but I find the full fat keeps me satiated longer - I can eat 2 chobani and still want more, but this will fill me up

Macros are fine, but what's the calorie count on that full-fat yogurt? The full-fat yogurt I serve my kids is 300cal a cup :o
  • deannalfisher
    Options

Macros are fine, but what's the calorie count on that full-fat yogurt? The full-fat yogurt I serve my kids is 300cal a cup :o

280cal for 8oz

for reference a 5.3oz Oikos Triple Zero (mixed berry) - 150cal with 0g fat, 14g carbs and 15g protein - so 4g less protein, but twice as much carbs and added fat for only 130cal more (when I used to easily eat 2 oikos in one sitting because they didn't satiate me)
  • MommaGem2017
    MommaGem2017 Posts: 405 Member
    Options

280cal for 8oz

for reference a 5.3oz Oikos Triple Zero (mixed berry) - 150cal with 0g fat, 14g carbs and 15g protein - so 4g less protein, but twice as much carbs and added fat for only 130cal more (when I used to easily eat 2 oikos in one sitting because they didn't satiate me)

I have to say, full-fat yogurt tastes SOO delicious. It's so decadent, but I can't squeeze it into my calories.

My kids eat the Greek Gods yogurt 36 carbs, 14g fat, and 8g protein for the Strawberry Honey variety. Looks like your brand is more protein per calorie. I've seen Noosa, but I forget where, I'll have to see if my kids like that one too.

Thanks!
  • kms234
    kms234 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I follow IFYM and aim for 168g of protein a day. My main sources are eggs, plain greek yogurt, chicken, beef jerky, ground turkey, protein powder/bars. I pre-log my day and then adjust as needed. I feel like this method is a lot more freeing than being tied to a calorie number.
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    kms234 wrote: »
    I follow IFYM and aim for 168g of protein a day. My main sources are eggs, plain greek yogurt, chicken, beef jerky, ground turkey, protein powder/bars. I pre-log my day and then adjust as needed. I feel like this method is a lot more freeing than being tied to a calorie number.

you do realize if you are counting macros you are essentially counting calories right? because each macros has a calorie associated with it (carbs/protein 4cal per g, fat is 9cal per g)...
  • deannalfisher
    Options

280cal for 8oz

I have to say, full-fat yogurt tastes SOO delicious. It's so decadent, but I can't squeeze it into my calories.

My kids eat the Greek Gods yogurt 36 carbs, 14g fat, and 8g protein for the Strawberry Honey variety. Looks like your brand is more protein per calorie. I've seen Noosa, but I forget where, I'll have to see if my kids like that one too.

Thanks!

mine is in the grocery section where the specialty yogurts are - culinary circle is a similar brand (slightly cheaper); brown cow is also a whole milk yogurt (I think its like .99 for a 5oz container, much cheaper than most other yogurts)
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Fish
    Shrimp
    Scallops
    The protein cheese cake recipe from mfp
    Protein bars
    Light string cheese
    Beans
    Chicken
    Beef
  • kms234
    kms234 Posts: 132 Member
    Options

you do realize if you are counting macros you are essentially counting calories right? because each macros has a calorie associated with it (carbs/protein 4cal per g, fat is 9cal per g)...

Of course but I'm not logging in MFP and seeing the total calorie number per day. Mentally eliminating that number and only focusing on the macros themselves works better for me. OP asked about IIFYM and I answered with my experience. I've counted calories only for YEARS and IIFYM makes so much more sense FOR ME.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    ji225 wrote: »
    Just started today, and could do with hearing some good stuff and getting some hints on getting my protein levels up without living on chicken and tuna :) I've never tried this but am intrigued to see how it works. Also starting a very basic weights routine as have had past injuries so need to start small

I have found that the following are my go to:

shrimp
    salmon
    crab
    chicken
    greek yogurt
    cottage cheese
    eggs
    ham
    cheese (hard)

When I am stuck I will add protein powder to a smoothie or eat a protein bar.

I was surprised at the amount in things like lentils tho.

My trick is this...1 gram of protein for every 10 calories...if hits that or goes over it's all about the protein.
  • lamb_fitness
    lamb_fitness Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Doing IIFYM, Add me if you like. My diary is open to view.

Would love more IIFYM friends with a focus on weight lifting + balance too.
  • athena61
    athena61 Posts: 54 Member
    Options

If someone would please clarify for me. I've read other posts where someone will say their diary is open. When I click on that person's profile it always tells me that this user's feed is private. Am I doing something wrong to why I can't see a non-friend's diary even though they've posted it's open? TIA.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    athena61 wrote: »

If someone would please clarify for me. I've read other posts where someone will say their diary is open. When I click on that person's profile it always tells me that this user's feed is private. Am I doing something wrong to why I can't see a non-friend's diary even though they've posted it's open? TIA.

no you are not...lamb_fitness diary is not open...for public viewing

I am pretty sure mine is tho.
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

Of course but I'm not logging in MFP and seeing the total calorie number per day. Mentally eliminating that number and only focusing on the macros themselves works better for me. OP asked about IIFYM and I answered with my experience. I've counted calories only for YEARS and IIFYM makes so much more sense FOR ME.

Are you still tracking here? If so how are you not seeing calories yet? Or are you tracking somewhere else? I'm currently tracking on paper for the way I eat (DASH), would love to track online though, but also don't want to see calories.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    I don't hit my protein goal every day, but what has helped me is having a protein bar as my breakfast.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    busyPK wrote: »
    I don't hit my protein goal every day, but what has helped me is having a protein bar as my breakfast.

depending on the number of calories you allow yourself you should check into things like Greek yogurt, cottage cheese etc.

Salmon if you like fish

I use protein powder in the summer to add to my smoothie as i usually eat eggs and ham for breakfast...