Fantasy Football

Options
Is anyone participating? Any draft picks to look out for? Any creative team or league names? My girlfriends and I made a league this year and our draft is set for this Sunday.

Replies

• cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Almost every time I pick a QB that person ends up getting hurt. Famous examples include: Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Ben Roethlisberger

Look up people that will give you the most points based on your league rules. There is a lot of strategy to picking but ultimately it is luck.
  • cee134
    edited August 2017
    Options
    lstrat115 wrote: »
    cee134 wrote: »
    Almost every time I pick a QB that person ends up getting hurt. Famous examples include: Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Ben Roethlisberger

Look up people that will give you the most points based on your league rules. There is a lot of strategy to picking but ultimately it is luck.

I dislike all those guys. Can you pick 2 of them again this year? Preferably Brady and Big Ben

It never works when I try to pick them so they get an injury.
  • cargotrailer
    cargotrailer Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Matt Ryan.. he is highly motivated after that second half fiasco in the Super Bowl..
  • cee134
    Options
    Draft order matters too. I usually do RB, RB, QB as I usually have to pick a new QB during the year but luckily find one of the best ones that wasn't picked.
  • meganelizabethmfp
    meganelizabethmfp Posts: 25 Member
    Options

Which scoring does your league use? I ended up drawing the short straw and I am the LM but I barely know what I am doing
  • cee134
    Options

Which scoring does your league use? I ended up drawing the short straw and I am the LM but I barely know what I am doing

I'm not sure what LM means. I usually use either ESPN or CBS standards.
  • browneyedgirl749
    browneyedgirl749 Posts: 4,984 Member
    Options
    I'm taking this year off from Fantasy Football. I'm usually in at least 3 different leagues.
  • cee134
    Options
    • With the exception of Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady, keep the QB position out of your mind until at least the seventh round (unless playing in a two-QB league or a league with non-convention QB scoring rules). When you take a QB too early, you’ll miss out on potential points from other positions that will be difficult to make up.

• Wait on TE until at least the fifth round unless you really want Rob Gronkowski. If you’re pleased with your WRs and RBs after the first four rounds and you see Travis Kelce, Greg Olsen or Jordan Reed available, go ahead and draft them as long as their potential output is greater than any RB or WR left on the board.
  • cee134
    Options
    The first dilemma you’re faced with at the turn is whether to pass on RBs with your first two picks and draft two top WRs instead. If you do, there’s a chance you’ll be chasing RBs for the rest of the draft. By the time you get on the clock in Round 1, the top backs—David Johnson and Le’Veon Bell—will be off the board, and it’s unlikely that LeSean McCoy will be there, either.

So the soundest advice is to assess opportunity cost—the players you’d be passing up—to make the best decision.

The pool of players that should be available at the turn in the first round are Melvin Gordon, Dez Bryant, Jordy Nelson, Devonta Freeman and Jay Ajayi. Gordon leads that pack with 209 projected points in the 4for4 standard scoring projections, followed by Ajayi (197), Freeman (192), Nelson (182) and Bryant (175).

From your draft position you know you’ll end up with two elite players (either two RBs, two WRs, or one of each), which is comforting. You can grab whichever one you like best in the first round and feel confident that your second-round pick will also be a top-seven player at his position.
  • toned_thugs_n_harmony
    toned_thugs_n_harmony Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    • With the exception of Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady, keep the QB position out of your mind until at least the seventh round (unless playing in a two-QB league or a league with non-convention QB scoring rules). When you take a QB too early, you’ll miss out on potential points from other positions that will be difficult to make up.

this. but without the exception. i'd rather have the worst qb in the league than have either of those idiots on my roster.
  • denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    a few years ago I won my very first season at fantasy football with all my guys buds. Dropped the mic and never played again.
  • browneyedgirl749
    browneyedgirl749 Posts: 4,984 Member
    Options
    I'm taking this year off from Fantasy Football. I'm usually in at least 3 different leagues.

I took last year off and I missed it, but at the same time it was nice to not have that hanging over my head all the time. I might get back in next year. Give myself another year to get through all of the crazy in my life.
    Plus when I care about more games I sit around allllllll day Sunday watching football and eating. Last year I did stuff in the mornings or after my game. It was kind of nice.

I used to pay for the NFL Sunday Ticket when I had Directv, so I would watch games all day whether I did fantasy football or not. I just love the game so I'll watch whatever game is on. The bad thing about my team being on the other side of the country is I don't get to see many of their games unless I go to BWW's or something.
  • Muscle_for_Fitness
    Muscle_for_Fitness Posts: 2,198 Member
    Options
    I love playing. Biggest points of advice I always have is wait on QB and TE, point differential between those two positions isn't worth taking a high end stud. Avoid injury risk players especially early in the draft, if you do try take an injury risk rb, make sure to grab the handcuff later in the draft. Never draft a Defense or Kicker until the last two rounds.

After that, make sure you watch the waiver wire and bid on high impact players. Most leagues are won with help from the wire.
  • meganelizabethmfp
    Options
    I think my plan is to go for RBs for the first two rounds
  • meganelizabethmfp
    Options

I'm not sure what LM means. I usually use either ESPN or CBS standards.

LM is League Manager! I think its the same as commissioner
  • meganelizabethmfp
    Options
    _MistahJ_ wrote: »
    I'm only doing two this year, one for fun with coworkers and one for $$$$. My two team names are 1.21 JJWatts and Wilfork On 1st Date.

my name is "Baby got Dak" but my girlfriends all have really funny names! Our league name is "Out of Your League"
  • cee134
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I think my plan is to go for RBs for the first two rounds

Are you in a PPR league? Because that would change what you should do. RB and WR seem to be the what most people try to get first depending on how points are scored and draft order.
  • Muscle_for_Fitness
    Muscle_for_Fitness Posts: 2,198 Member
    Options
    I agree with @cee134 check the scoring. Even if someone tells you that it is a PPR league check how many points are scored (or lost) for some things. I have been in leagues where at the end of the year the QBs had the most points, by a lot, and other leagues where either the RBs or WRs were the ones that were most beneficial.

Yes, but look at differential points compared to total scored. Who cares if QB's score the most points if you can get the 10th best qb and score only a few points less than QB3. RB's usually have the highest differential between top tier and the others but can be tough to predict year to year. WR's aren't quite a high differential but are usually easier to predict. First two rounds I like to go best RB/WR available and try to come out with at least one RB unless the WR's are that much better in my draft position.
  • meganelizabethmfp
    Options
    were doing head to head scoring, is that the same thing?