Thoughts on logging "exercise"

Options

Replies

• toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    I only log intentional exercise, not chores and the like. I do log my daily lunchtime walks as long as they're longer than 20 minutes. The extra calories give me a bit more wiggle room for dinner.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    Bonus calories. I really dont see a point but all the power to them if they want to, Just seems to me thats counted in your base activity level, And the more side "exercise" you log, The more factors into possibly overestimating your calorie burns and slowing down/halting your losses.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I think it depends. Last night I needed to get 4K steps to reach my step goal so when I got home I made a point to, I'll say putter around the house. I changed my bed, hung up some clothes, made busy work of doing household chores - like walking items to hang up to the closet one at a time. While, for me this didn't register on my FitBit for some, something like this is a workout.
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    My very rough judgement as to what to log is "does this activity require me to change clothing?". Swimming, running, gym - that's exercise. Mowing the lawn, putting the bin out, housework - that's included in my daily calories.
  • izzybelle2013
    izzybelle2013 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    When I mow the grass, I walk it. So I put that in as exercise - it is an acre. Also, I clean houses, and on the days I work very hard cleaning someone else's house, I put that in too. Believe me, it is exercise. The kicker is, though, that MFP takes the exercise calories off of my daily allotment. So if I am on a 1200 calorie day, and do 200 calories worth of exercise - MFP tells me I have 1000 calories left. So, in the end, I guess it doesn't matter after all.
  • KelGen02
    KelGen02 Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I don't log exercise, I let my fitbit and Map my Walk adjust for "ACTIVE" steps. I see the difference in the adjustment from when days I hit my step goal with just everyday normal steps vs the step adjustment I get from actually working out with Zumba/Treadmill/jogging etc. I can hit my step goal but that doesn't mean I logged ACTIVE minutes therefore I am not getting the adjustment in calories burned as I do when I actually work out. I don't eat back exercise calories, but even if I did I certainly wouldn't eat back calories that I supposedly burned while doing every day every day life. And before anyone yells at me for not eating back my exercise calories, I do not weigh and measure every morsel I put into my mouth. (I did in the beginning to get an eye for what a serving size looks like) so I leave those burn calories alone to offset any logging errors. It works for me, I've loss 71lbs doing this over the past 8 months so I must be doing something right. B) Doesn't MFP/FitBit already take into account daily calorie burns anyhow? I mean we burn calories when we sleep so I would have to assume these apps already know these things?? Lord knows I am no expert!
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    No, I never log such things as unless they are extra strenuous or out of the ordinary routine, I do not consider them as worth logging. I only log my actual workouts and have my activity level set to lightly active to cover my walking and any other more routine movement.
  • melissaulmen
    melissaulmen Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I do not count those items as exercising.
    If someone else does, that is fine with me. They might not have as much success if they are eating back calories that are already calculated depending on their exercise level.

My step counter syncs with MFP. In the morning it guesses I am going to earn an extra 400 calories. By the end of the day, it adjusts and I only have 200 earned extra calories.

My fitness tracker said I burned 2349 calories yesterday, with the extra 200 earned calories, MFP calculates that I burn 2149 calories per day with a lightly active lifestyle.
  • NextPage
    NextPage Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I don't log housekeeping but I also log my workouts so I can look back and see if I'm meeting by fitness goals. I used to, but no longer, adjust my daily calories up based on calories burned during work outs. Washing the dishes or doing laundry isn't going to increase my lung capacity for hiking or improve my body composition so what's the point? ;)
  • macclone
    macclone Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I have my setting at lightly active. My Apple Watch today says I worked out and burned 630 calories. MFP added 174. I assume the others are part of the "formula" so I don't add my actuals.