I need to lose weight. I want to lose weight. I will lose weight.

Options
I've always, ALWAYS, been significantly overweight. I was a fathlete during my entire childhood and adolescent, weighing 210 lbs at 12 years old. But I'm rounding the corner to 30 years old and realize that I can't depend on youth to keep my health in check anymore. Last year I saw my heaviest, 278, after losing my mother to cancer. There were many dark days that resulted in that number on the scale. After some time, I contemplated getting a weight-loss surgery consultation but my wife was 100% against it. She reminded me that I had never truly committed to a healthier lifestyle. She was right, my Mrs. Always Right. I'm an absolute foodie and loathe the idea of eating bland, tasteless food, but I also hate the idea of having to take daily medication for high blood pressure, diabetes, and high cholesterol. All of which run in my family. Plus, food can be flavorful and clean.

Plan: I will be using this app to count calories and using intermittent fasting, eating between 2 pm and 10 pm. I will weigh myself every week and track that number, whatever it may be. I will not deprive myself of any food item if I want it. Moderation and discipline will be the keys to my long-term success.

I'm currently 254.1 without truly trying, just eating more normally and not binge eating. I wasn't cutting calories or anything like that. My overall goals are to lose weight and physically transform my body. I'm tired of knee aches and lower back pains. Not sure, ultimately, how much I want to lose but I know I want to be able to hike without feeling like death.

I could definitely use some friends on here.

I may also be documenting my weekly weight-loss on youtube but I haven't decided yet.

Replies

• cougargirl1025
    cougargirl1025 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    You got this!! Welcome and best wishes on your journey!
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Good luck, sounds like you have the right mindset to get this off the ground.
    As long as you are making sustainable changes, you will find success, I am sure.
    Feel free to add me. I am not here to lose weight, but I am very active on here and am a good source of advice if needed.
  • MissiM206
    MissiM206 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Great job! Go get em!

#BoutDatActionBoss B)
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Good for you coming to this decision before your health suffered!

If you love food, you will find a way to love lighter, healthier food. Aromatics are your friends! I eat better now than I did when I was eating too many calories - it just takes a little more thought. It's amazing how much food you can eat when you borrow from other cultures - a giant plate of Aloo Gobi, Saag chicken, and raitha is one of my favorite meals, more food than I can comfortably eat for less than five hundred calories.

Best of luck to you!
  • RainbowWander
    RainbowWander Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Good for you coming to this decision before your health suffered!

If you love food, you will find a way to love lighter, healthier food. Aromatics are your friends! I eat better now than I did when I was eating too many calories - it just takes a little more thought. It's amazing how much food you can eat when you borrow from other cultures - a giant plate of Aloo Gobi, Saag chicken, and raitha is one of my favorite meals, more food than I can comfortably eat for less than five hundred calories.

Best of luck to you!

I seriously LOVE Indian food...
    MissiM206 wrote: »
    Great job! Go get em!

#BoutDatActionBoss B)
    You got this!! Welcome and best wishes on your journey!

Thank you!
    Graelwyn75 wrote: »
    Good luck, sounds like you have the right mindset to get this off the ground.
    As long as you are making sustainable changes, you will find success, I am sure.
    Feel free to add me. I am not here to lose weight, but I am very active on here and am a good source of advice if needed.

Mindset is everything!!! I know more than 1 person who had weightloss surgery (bypass, sleeve or band) and gained a lot of their weight back. I'm in this for the longhaul.
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    You know what, when I lost 42 lbs last year I ate chips, a bag of them sometimes...I still do once in awhile, but I've also found, and there's some evidence to support this, that our taste buds or brain or something, react to the foods we commonly eat over time and things become tasty. For instance, if you eat lots of doritos, you will crave more of the same because other things just don't taste as good. Then over time, as you eat more whole foods, your body changes and the foods that didn't taste as good actually end up tasting better and I find I do not crave junk food as much anymore, and when I do have some, it is a lot easier to not have as many.

Keep focused on the process, not the goal. Focus on goals once you have the process. :smile:
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on starting. Feel free to add me.
  • ISweat4This
    ISweat4This Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Welcome and good luck on your journey.
  • dani_1977
    dani_1977 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Welcome.. Glad that you made the decision to better your health. Please feel free to friend me, Im always looking for motivation in this journey
  • EJBarner
    EJBarner Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you have agreat mindset. :) Welcome and congratulations for starting! My greatest revelation in this process is that I don't have to feel deprived for it to be effective. Friend request sent. :)