Bread

Options

Replies

• HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    No need to kick bread or pasta or white potatoes to the side but they are calorie dense so they prevent you from eating other things. I find I'm eating (and making, for that matter) much less bread because I want room in my calories for cheese more than bread. To me, an ounce of good cheese at about 110 calories is more satisfying than a 110 calorie slice of bread or half-a-slice of bread with a little butter. If I'm going to spend calories on flour-based food, let it be fresh pasta!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I eat bread every single morning (except sometimes on weekends when I have waffles or pancakes for breakfast). You have to decide if it is worth the calories to you and if it keeps you satisfied.
  • boredloser
    boredloser Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    A quick search says 1oz of chocolate cake = 104 cal. 1 oz of French bread is 74 cal. Glycemic impact has zero effect on how those calories are burned. CICO.

It probably depends on how the cake was made. Chocolate cake A could be very different from chocolate cake B and C. Gotta make sure it's the right cake you're looking at. Besides, cakes and breads are different but I agree with the CICO part. For that 104kcal of chocolate cake. I'd rather opt for the 74cal of bread and slap some chicken on there.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    For bread vs cake, another thing I've noticed from my experience is I could eat ~200-250 calories worth of bread and stop, but with cake, generally 200-250 calories won't satiate me as much. I could easily consume twice as many calories from cake if not more.

It's the exact opposite for me. Maybe the fat in the cake satisfies me or the higher sugar and fat that makes cake so rich means I don't feel like eating as much. I like small amounts of rich, sweet foods. Large amounts of rich food are off-putting and almost sickening to me. So, I would be more likely to go overboard on bread (but only if it's fresh homemade bread, since mass-produced factory bread tastes like garbage to me.)
  • jaci66
    jaci66 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    After a bit of research on bread, I've moved to just sourdough bread. I've always loved most breads, but sourdough is the better solution.
  • macclone
    macclone Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I eat two slices of multi grain with my turkey and cheese sandwich for lunch
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    natasor1 wrote: »
    Treat it like a piece of cake. Very interesting fact: your body have higher glycimic impact on bread rather then on cake. Do u eat cakes every day????

Most likely bread is going to have less calories than a slice of cake....

My mind goes to the cake sandwich! ;-)

I don't really like bread (blasphemy, I know) other than homemade or really good restaurant bread, so I save it for special occasions (and just don't bake it). But maybe approach it like I do pasta, which I do like: plan your meals around vegetables and protein, add in some healthy sources of fat if they would otherwise be on the low fat side, and then eat whatever you like with the extra calories, but vary it some. And eat an amount that results in the overall meal having the calories that you think makes sense given overall goals. For me, I might have fruit or potatoes or sweet potatoes or pasta, etc. Or if I feel like it no starchy carbs and just more veg to make room for cheese.

Point is to make it work with your overall diet.