Optavia/medifast/take shape for life

Options
2»

Replies

• Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »

This is one of the key reasons to avoid these kind of schemes. They are gimmicks to lose weight but they don't do anythings to teach one of the most important thing: How to eat in a way to maintain a healthy weight!

I'm often in favor of premade meals and diet plans. I mean, it's not like those of us who cook our own food don't eat out or microwave the occasional Amy's or grab some sushi or a jar of spaghetti sauce from Whole Foods. If it's easier to have help with the planning and cooking, I say, do it. And most of those programs also have a transitional program where you slowly add in your own food meal by meal, day by day until you are eating all home-cooked food.

But Medifast was a whole different story. My sister did go through the transition to real food, but her body (and mind) was just so messed up from all the fake food and soy and too low calories that she couldn't even keep the weight off for a few days. The ingredients in the Medifast food are extremely damaging to your health.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    ... I eat a variety of food 1 to 2 meals a day, I eat 6 small meals which works for me and I log my exercis calories...

Just out of curiosity, can you explain this? It's the 2nd time I've seen you post this. Do you eat 2 meals a day, or 6 small meals? Is it 2 "regular" sized meals, and 6 (or 4, for a total of 6) other small meals? Or am I missing something?

I eat 5 small meals of 100 to 250 calories and one larger meal of 300 to 400 calories. Maybe some should just be called snacks. :)

OK, thanks. I understand now.
  • jamesontherun
    jamesontherun Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My sister lost a lot of weight with Medifast. I tried it for about 2 days. My mom tried it for a few weeks.

My sister was really disciplined and lost about 60 lbs. I don't think she particularly enjoyed the process, but she stuck to it and lost on average about 2 1/2 lbs per week by not ever deviating from the diet and exercising (cardio and weights) daily. Her body looked fantastic at her goal weight. She almost immediately regained the weight and more besides. She regained it fast...like all of it in about 2 months. And her hormones have been really messed up since. My sister knows how to eat right, how to count calories, how to plan nutritious meals, etc. I think she just went a little crazy when she let go of that super strict discipline and got completely out of control.

My mom tried it for a few weeks and I tried it for a couple days. Neither of us could handle the enormous soy content. It's been years and I don't think my mom has ever really recovered. Soy almost immediately completely screws up my hormones so I stopped after the second day, feeling horrible...cramps, bloating, night sweats, hot flashes, mood swings, etc. It took me a couple months to get back to normal.

I've come across numerous individuals who suffered the same side effects. You are not alone. Please PM me.
  • jamesontherun
    jamesontherun Posts: 8 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Wow thats very interesting, I had no idea there waa a link between MLM and churches. It does make sense because people regularly gather and trust would probably be built easier in a church setting.

MLM's (be it weight loss, skin care, Tupperware, Pampered Chef, etc) rely on a network of people who know each other. It's called a "natural market". Churches are great sources because everyone networks there. As a financial adviser, the best way to get a lot of referrals is to get one or two clients prominent in a church or religious study group and do well for them. Word gets around. One of my co-advisors built his entire practice on managing the retirement money for church members who have retired and spend years out of the country on missions.

The down side, of course, is that if you do something to make somebody unhappy, word also gets spread quickly so being upfront and honest is paramount.

I never would have thought about that but it does make perfect sense. I actually just signed up as a coach for Optavia, too bad Im not a religious person haha. I probably would try to network at church if I attended regularly but it would feel wrong since its not somewhere I would normally be. I made this post so I could get a general opinion from unbiased people so I could get a full range of experiences as Im going into this instead of just the success stories from the website. All I have ever heard were positive reviews so Im a bit suprised there have been none on this post. Im glad so many people shared now so I can keep the negative effects in mind and take people off the program if it seems to be hurting them

I would have hoped that reading this thread would have made you change your mind about being a 'coach' at all. If you read websites associated with the product they are trying to get you to sell, of course all you are going to read are the glowing reviews.

Does it not strike you as odd that you can become a 'coach' so easily and with so little knowledge about the product and what it does (and more importantly, doesn't) do? Can you not see how this company is being deliberately deceptive by giving their salespeople instant and false credibility by making them 'coaches'?

Please reconsider. :)

This community appears to be under invasion by OPTAVIA sales reps cough* cough*, I mean "coaches"
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I did medifast a few years ago. It worked pretty well for losing weight, but obviously the problem is transitioning to normal eating which is the problem all of these sorts of programs have.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Wow thats very interesting, I had no idea there waa a link between MLM and churches. It does make sense because people regularly gather and trust would probably be built easier in a church setting.

MLM's (be it weight loss, skin care, Tupperware, Pampered Chef, etc) rely on a network of people who know each other. It's called a "natural market". Churches are great sources because everyone networks there. As a financial adviser, the best way to get a lot of referrals is to get one or two clients prominent in a church or religious study group and do well for them. Word gets around. One of my co-advisors built his entire practice on managing the retirement money for church members who have retired and spend years out of the country on missions.

The down side, of course, is that if you do something to make somebody unhappy, word also gets spread quickly so being upfront and honest is paramount.

I never would have thought about that but it does make perfect sense. I actually just signed up as a coach for Optavia, too bad Im not a religious person haha. I probably would try to network at church if I attended regularly but it would feel wrong since its not somewhere I would normally be. I made this post so I could get a general opinion from unbiased people so I could get a full range of experiences as Im going into this instead of just the success stories from the website. All I have ever heard were positive reviews so Im a bit suprised there have been none on this post. Im glad so many people shared now so I can keep the negative effects in mind and take people off the program if it seems to be hurting them

I would have hoped that reading this thread would have made you change your mind about being a 'coach' at all. If you read websites associated with the product they are trying to get you to sell, of course all you are going to read are the glowing reviews.

Does it not strike you as odd that you can become a 'coach' so easily and with so little knowledge about the product and what it does (and more importantly, doesn't) do? Can you not see how this company is being deliberately deceptive by giving their salespeople instant and false credibility by making them 'coaches'?

Please reconsider. :)

This community appears to be under invasion by OPTAVIA sales reps cough* cough*, I mean "coaches"

The posts you are bumping are several months old. There's no invasion. Every once in awhile, someone pops up and either asks about or tries to sell on the sly. Never lasts long. :drinker:
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    Oh, zombie thread. Well, here's my favorite video about MLMs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6MwGeOm8iI&t=4s