first week no weight lost

Options
hi
I have followed cals reccommended all week, eating back exercise cals but have lost nothing. It is my first week. 1200 cals is suggested & I averaged 400-500 exercise cals. My partner has lost 8lbs this week ( he is heavier at 16st) eating much more than me & having alcohol also. I feel really fed up. I had expected a loss of at least 1lb! I feel that I have controoled eating compared to my usual amounts.. I do cardio 3 days,plus power plate on Mons, & 2 hours of weights each week. so don't know where to up exercise cals.
should I reduce amount I am eating. The obvious answer is yes but I read that too little induces starvation mode. But diets like lighter life & cambridge are very low cal, so aren't they starvation mode diets that work?
Please any advice. Really need to drop 20lbs by Dec.

Replies

• Rompa_87
    Rompa_87 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    For a trove of advice on healthy weight loss without canibalising muscle mass listen to podcasts on fat2fit ratio. The key here is not to set a specific deadline to meet your weight goal but to start living like the healthier person you wish to become. That means eating just a little less than is needed to supply your body at its current weight and then drop that amount of intake over time!
    http://www.fat2fitradio.com/
  • SeanC86
    SeanC86 Posts: 88
    Options
    To be honest, keep at it. That's the best advice I can give you. There are LOTS of reasons why you may have retained weight. If you're starting working out for the first time, your muscles could be retaining water in order to help heal. If you're eating a lot of Sodium, that can retain water weight. Also, if you're building muscle, but losing fat, it's possible that could make a difference as well. So many possibilities. I had to go 2-3 weeks before I started seeing significant weight loss, so don't lose faith! Keep up the great work, and don't let it get you down. Drink lots of water, cut the soda/pop, etc. Try Green Tea too... I've been reading a lot of good things about it lately. (The brewed kind, not pre-made.) I hope some of this helps out!
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I can't see your food diary, so I can't comment on that.

But it says you are 51 years old. I know that metabolism slows down as you age. It is also easier for men to lose weight than women so don't feel too down on yourself.
  • alimac92
    alimac92 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Don't give up it's only the end of your first week. If you want to make a life change you need to be prepared to have weeks when the scales don't budge. You may notice changes in your body in other ways, loose clothes, notching up your belt tighter, shoes loose etc.

My husband lost loads more than me and eats more but he was heavier to start with. You can't compare your weight loss to his. So far my husband has lost 92 lbs, I've lost 14 lbs i'm proud of him and he is proud of me. :bigsmile:

Don't give up you are doing well, the first weeks are hard!
    :flowerforyou:
  • chinababe60
    chinababe60 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all replies & advice..
    I have been doing weights & gym for about 3 years so that has not changed. I will look at sodium but try to eat fairly healthily.
  • chinababe60
    Options
    How do I show my food diary to all please? Can't see which setting to change.
  • suzieduh
    suzieduh Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    If you go to My Home --> Settings --> Diary --> Diary Sharing you can changes who you want to view your diary

Good luck with the weight loss!
  • chantell7
    chantell7 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Hi, a few things that come to mind, are you weighing your food to get correct amounts, sometimes it can take your body a few weeks to adjust to a new eating program . In the forums there's a few topics dedicated to new people to explain how the body can react ect. Have a read it'll answer all your questions and put your mind at ease. =) keep at it , this is a program for life
  • Bellyroll
    Bellyroll Posts: 316
    Options
    The way i see it is it didn't take you a week or two or three to gain the weight. So just be patient.
  • chinababe60
    Options
    thank you
  • velvetkat
    velvetkat Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I see where you say you have been doing exercise all along. Since this is nothing new why not try adding something else to what you are doing or change the type.. For example if you are doing 30 min on the ellipitical , do 30 minutes on another machine or change the resistance on the elliptical.
    You only have 20 lbs to lose so it is gonna take longer for you to lose that than someone who has 120 lbs to lose. You may have to try a few things to find what works for you. Maybe you shouldnt eat your exercise calories back.. Some people do and some people dont. Both seem to work.
    With regards to your diet just make sure you are weighing your food.. eyeball measurements dont work, Watch your sodium intake and also cut back on the processed foods and fast toods. Eat your 5-8 servings of fruits and veggies and drink your 8-8oz glasses a day.
    Be patient. If you are doing all of the above the weight will come off.

4925355.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • mirenner
    mirenner Posts: 205
    Options
    How much weight are you wanting to lose? Just judging from your photo, it looks more like a tone that you need rather then weight loss
  • kaffmc
    kaffmc Posts: 20
    Options
    Dont give up.... check that you have put the correct weights in (i done it wrong the first time) and start again, we are all here for the same reason. I lost weight the first week and was really surprised but know people who didnt but they are still going at it. Good luck hun x
  • chinababe60
    Options
    I weight 140lbs & would like to be 120lbs. I am quite short. Thank you to everyone who has given advice. I will change up cardio machines & track sodium & eat more veggies next week & see how that goes. I have a neat little scale that is now sitting on kitchen worktop to weigh food.
  • rosiedoo169
    rosiedoo169 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel, I lost 3lb last week (first week) and nothing this week.
    It's very disappointing.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I'm sick of sexist comments about men losing weight easier than women.

Assuming you count and weigh everything that goes in, I'd like to know what exercise has you losing 500 cals?

It could also be that you're spot on, sometimes it takes someone's body two weeks to show, but then twice the amount. It's still more likely you're missing something though, assuming you've gone from nothing to a diet and exercise routine
  • Frannswaz
    Frannswaz Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    The way i see it is it didn't take you a week or two or three to gain the weight. So just be patient.

Lol...that is SOooo true.
  • Frannswaz
    Frannswaz Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Forget about the weight for a bit....how do your clothes fit?
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Ahh, I've read it properly now

Since exercise isn't new, you can't expect big numbers I'm afraid. Assuming diet is new, I'd expect a decent number next week.

The only thing you could do is try something new, something intense and short, something long and easy. I'd wait until week two thogh, and then see if you are getting the results, or if you need to mix it up.

Don't worry though, there's plenty more to try, just it will take longer to find something fast, since you not starting from nothing like most people