Why is it so hard to commit to this?

Options
I really want to lose this weight that I have but every time I get started with watching what I eat, by the end of the day I have already let myself slip up. I am not the most active person as I have a full time job at a desk. I have always been a stress eater so that is a huge challenge. I feel like despite wanting to lose this weight my habits and mentality are always in the way.

Replies

• 76Crane76
    76Crane76 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I agree. It is super tough to break habits. I did exactly what you're doing countless times. I found my first month on MFP, my day would be great until I got home. My family didn't help at first, seemed like they were sabotaging me at times. I just kept at it. Every day. Even when I slipped at supper. Eventually, I became stronger and firmer and told my family "I am not eating that pizza, burger, etc" and when I stuck to it and they knew I meant business, the sabotage subsided. I'm not putting blame on my family, by any means, this was how we had been eating and they are all much thinner than me without the medical issues.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Smdgrad11 wrote: »
    I really want to lose this weight that I have but every time I get started with watching what I eat, by the end of the day I have already let myself slip up. I am not the most active person as I have a full time job at a desk. I have always been a stress eater so that is a huge challenge. I feel like despite wanting to lose this weight my habits and mentality are always in the way.

We ALL screw up. You need to just move on.... continue this journey. Weight loss doesn't just happen when you string together 180 "perfect" days. It bet it would also happen if you just had 160 "perfect" days.

Make improvements in your eating habits......we need progress, not perfection.
  • anahata188
    anahata188 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I understand how you feel and I'm going through the same phase... sometimes I also feel I just want to "let go" and just eat and of course always end up regretting! Anyone here would like to start being a buddy to help motivate each other?
  • ltlldybug
    ltlldybug Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat, I have to improve my diet so I don't die. I've got a horror story family history as far as health conditions, and I'm stubborn. I'd be happy to help you if you want to help me!
  • susanayt97
    susanayt97 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    This is exactly what I'm going through right now! My family eats very badly, and because I'm not overweight (just a lot of fat to burn, I look really...weird) they don't get that I'm miserable.
    I know I can't spend a few days just eating healthy, so I decided to let myself have whatever I want for dessert everyday, as long as it doesn't go beyond my daily calories. But I'm starting to think I was wrong. Having those foods just makes me want to keep eating. And it's what I've been doing. I don't log in those calories but I don't go over 200 probably.
    Now I don't know...
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    "Really want" and "Committed to" are two very different mental states.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You need to change habits and mentality, because you can't lose weight. What you can do, is consistently eat less, and if you consistently eat less, your body uses up excess fat. That's not really that hard. (Most people just make it hard, I don't know why, but some seem to enjoy it.) To be successful, you need to focus on what you can do. What do you think you have to commit to? It has to be something you find unpleasant enough to want to stop doing it. What does "watching what you eat" mean? It doesn't sound like "accurate and honest logging of food intake, hitting calorie goal +/- 50 every day", which is something that guarantees weight loss, provided you have set the right calorie goal and do it long enough.
  • tabletop_joe
    tabletop_joe Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Because it's a bummer and it takes time for it to pay off. If you are like me and have a hard time finding joy in the process, consider setting goals with rewards that you will not receive ever unless you hit your goals.