Powerlifting and strongman for strength and fat loss

Options
I have noticed not alot of discussion of the subjects of powerlifting and strongman...as i lose more fat im getting stronger and stronger...
I looked online and i actually lift more than some professionals...
I'd love to start a forum for strength training...
Please leave any comments on training nutition and success or failure here...
Thanks
Remember....strong is beautiful!

Replies

• pitbull603
    pitbull603 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Options
    Powerlifting for strength development. Strongman for endurance, but for "fat loss" -- nope, doesn't work that way. You build or maintain muscle as you cut calories in a deficit while pushing your body into a new level of homeostasis to become more efficient burning calories at rest.
  • pitbull603
    Options
    Interesting...i guess everyone is different because...powerlifting has allowed me to drop bodyfat and increase mass and strength...almost lost 100 lbs
  • pitbull603
    Options
    Sorry powerlifting and strongman
  • pitbull603
    Options
    Maybe its just supper heavy crossfit...lol
    Options
    pitbull603 wrote: »
    Interesting...i guess everyone is different because...powerlifting has allowed me to drop bodyfat and increase mass and strength...almost lost 100 lbs

And we're you eating the same?
  • pitbull603
    Options
    Keto...200 to 300 cal deficit
  • pitbull603
    Options
    Maybe im a genetic freak...lol
  • pitbull603
    Options
    I lift heavy for 3 weeks...deload 1 week....
    Repeat...
    acessory exercises in between...
    Example...10 sets of 5...
    Acessory 5 sets 12 to 15
    Deload...is active acessory
    Options
    Keto...200 to 300 cal deficit
    Maybe im a genetic freak...lol

Refer to your comment above
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

When someone has a lot of body fat to lose they can gain some muscle in a deficit, but it's not substantial. Increases in strength are not indications that you gain more muscle.

There's an entire section on here for Gaining/Bodybuilding that includes strongmen and powerlifters. If you really do lift more than some professionals you should enter a powerlifting competition and see where you come out at. The platform is the perspective giver. Gym numbers are often falsely inflated due to a wide variety of factors that the platform levels out.

Exactly!
    Currently my bodyweight is going down but my lifts are going up. I'm not "building muscle" I'm getting neuromuscular adaptations (in other words my muscles are working more efficiently and together).

• not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Which professionals do you lift more than?

-in4 name drops

ETA- as mentioned there is a long thread where members post lift videos, feel free to share there ;)
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    congrats on losing 100 lbs, thats quite an accomplishment! Powerlifting is great, I love it. If you like competing, you should definitely enter a meet, and maybe look for a gym in your area that trains powerlifting. There's so much more to it than just casually lifting the big three at the gym. And although more mass does generally mean more strength, strength comes from a whole lot more than just mass.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Which professionals do you lift more than?

-in4 name drops

I came here to post this.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I've competed in 3 pl competitions...been powerlifting for a few years. I haven't found powerlifting alone to be particularly effective for fat loss. I was "normal" weight to start.

If you started out overweight and not training, pl could be effective for fat loss. At some point, the rapid fat loss will taper off. This doesn't mean you need to stop lifting; you'll just have to add cardio, increase intensity of cardio, play around with calorie intake...and find what combination will work for you.

I'm currently eating at about 100 calorie deficit and just restarted heavy training after competition 3 weeks ago. I'm down 2lbs and lifts are increasing. I'll only diet as long as it doesn't effect my lifts.
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I am up to 43lbs lost in 4 months. 3 months of that doing heavy barbell training. I credit my loss to maintaining a calorie deficit. Strength training is fun and I am much stronger but it doesn't matter for the pure loss part. I would likely be doing better on strength training if I ate at maintenance or above, but I'm fat so it doesn't hurt much.

One thing I do think is the earlier people pick up training while losing weight the better. Many that have lost 50+ say they wish they started right at beginning instead of after the loss. It really does help hold on to more muscle while losing higher amounts.
  • pitbull603
    Options
    Getting some excellent feedback from everyone...
    Thank you so much