Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Which animal is the most fit?

Options
NorthCascades
NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
I read this on Wikipedia (so it must be true):

Values have been measured in some other animal species: thoroughbred horses have a VO2 max of around 180 mL/(kg·min). Siberian dogs running in the Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race have VO2 max values as high as 240 mL/(kg·min).

My first thought was "how does a cheetah compare?" followed immediately by "I don't want to be the guy who puts the mask on the cheetah."

For context, the highest VO2max ever measured in a human is just below 100 ml/kg/min, this was a Nordic skier. Those dogs are impressive!

Replies

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    I'd rather be a wolf or puma than any of the above.
    Pampered house dog (mid-sized mutt) of a rich, doting family if I had my choice of any animal though...
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    Instead of measuring cars in horsepower, maybe we should use dog power.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I read this on Wikipedia (so it must be true):

Values have been measured in some other animal species: thoroughbred horses have a VO2 max of around 180 mL/(kg·min). Siberian dogs running in the Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race have VO2 max values as high as 240 mL/(kg·min).

My first thought was "how does a cheetah compare?" followed immediately by "I don't want to be the guy who puts the mask on the cheetah."

For context, the highest VO2max ever measured in a human is just below 100 ml/kg/min, this was a Nordic skier. Those dogs are impressive!

I'd think the Siberian dogs in the Iditarod would be among the best overall athletes in the animal world. Great combination of speed, strength, endurance and agility (remember they aren't running pulling the sled over a smooth level surface).

I would compare them to an NFL defensive back/safety. Those guys have the athleticism to compete at a high level in most sports with the exception of long distance events.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I don't know about VO2, but I would say a shark. Have you ever tried swimming all day, much less swimming as fast as they do?
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    usmcmp wrote: »
    I don't know about VO2, but I would say a shark. Have you ever tried swimming all day, much less swimming as fast as they do?

Plus the fact if you disagree they will eat you.

shark-breach-o.gif
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Great white at that. They can start as far north as Alaska and go down as far south to the tip of South America just on the Pacific coastline alone.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • NorthCascades
    Options

Swimming is hard work.

Whenever I've paddled a kayak in salt water, it's made me nervous. I'll notice a seal or sea lion and know I'm in their world and not mine.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Even in the best shape, human beings are the least "fit" of all living things by almost any means of measurement or comparison.

Our only "advantage" comes from how we use our brains to overcome our physical deficiencies. Otherwise, we'd be very low on the food chain.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    Even in the best shape, human beings are the least "fit" of all living things by almost any means of measurement or comparison.

Our only "advantage" comes from how we use our brains to overcome our physical deficiencies. Otherwise, we'd be very low on the food chain.

I disagree. Without our brains we would have been extinct a long time ago :).
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    Monarch butterflies fly from Canada to Mexico in just a couple of months.
    That's a lot of cardio!

And hummingbirds fly 500 miles to the Gulf of Mexico non-stop. That's pretty darn impressive. (According to Wikipedia, a hummingbird in flight has the highest metabolism of all animals.)

They can also fly backwards, which is more than a cheetah can do.

well now.....which one, the butterfly or the cheetah, would win a cage-match fight to the death?
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options

Do you think the sloth is more fit than most humans?
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    We need to test a gazelle, too. Any gazelle that's alive is faster than the cheetah that was trying to eat it.

I saw a nature documentary once that said a cheetah can run full speed on three legs, and use the other one to trip a gazelle. Their jaws open to exactly the size of a gazelle neck. They can hunt other animals, but if the gazelle ever went extinct the cheetah would follow, they're so specialized.

I wish I knew more about this kind of stuff, because it's fascinating.

We humans are pretty fragile. We're also slow. It's amazing we made it this far, through a past when other animals hunted and ate us regularly. Before we even had fitbits to tell us how fast to run to get away from hyenas!

Apparently we're the best distance runners. A horse will run a faster mile every time, but a human will run a faster marathon. Our ancestors used that to their advantage hunting.