Type of diet?

Options
Hi, friends! I'm starting my weight loss journey, again, today-after reaching my first goal weight (in my entire life) in 2013/2014. I then had a baby, and was on bed rest for some of the pregnancy and almost a year after! I've gained everything back and am the heaviest now I've ever been. I'm looking for a diet to follow. I'm vegetarian. It's been awhile, and I'm out of the loop. Any recommendations.

Replies

• OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    The only thing that matters for weight loss is that you're hitting the correct calorie deficit for your weight loss goals. How/what you eat to make up your calorie intake though is pretty individual and will be based on food preferences, lifestyle, etc.

You can experiment with different structured plans, or you can just do straight calorie counting, using MFP.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Eat less - move more. Put your stats in MFP and they will give you a daily goal. Measure & log food you like. If you exercise, log that too. Earn additional calories from exercise, but only eat some back (say 50%) until you figure out if all the estimations are correct. Meet your calories every day.

If you are hungry (or feel tired, irritable) tweak things a bit - macros (protein, fat, carbs). Tweak meal timing. Tweak your weekly weight loss goal.

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Any diet that can help you sustain a calorie deficit, as that is what is required to lose weight
  • ona1990
    ona1990 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in diets. As long as your calories are coming from nutritious whole foods and you are consuming less calories than you burn in a day, weight loss will happen.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    ona1990 wrote: »
    I don't believe in diets. As long as your calories are coming from nutritious whole foods and you are consuming less calories than you burn in a day, weight loss will happen.

If you're consuming less than you burn in a day, weight loss will happen whether your calories are from whole foods or not.
  • Veggonevegan
    Veggonevegan Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian back to dieting. Six months I killed myself doing keto because I wanted to find a way to make it work. I loved the lack of appetite but of course as a vegetarian it was impossible. I lasted 4 weeks. I lost some weight but in 3 months gained it all back and then some. Before I did keto I did weight watchers. It had been very successful years ago but I couldn't make the new programs work for me. I'm going back to work and none of my work clothes fit me so surrendered to the 1200 a day. It was 1000 until today. I try to exercise and only eat half of that back. I've lost 6 lbs in 2 weeks with no big weight loss in the beginning. I wish you luck. I hope you find the magic formula that works for you. People think it's easier to diet as a vegetarian but I don't think it is maybe if you're vegan.
  • kbuckmasterpsu
    kbuckmasterpsu Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Because of some health issues I have, I went a little extreme with what I'm doing. I'm following Whole30, which is 30 days without dairy, legumes, sugar or sweeteners of any kind, alcohol, grains, gluten. Basically all I eat is veggies, fruit, nuts, and meat/fish/eggs. It was hard the first few days but now that I'm 25 days in, it's a breeze. When the 30 days are over you reintroduce the non-compliant foods 1 at a time to see if your body reacts poorly to them or not. I do like it and it has given me the jumpstart that I needed to get this weight loss ball moving.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    So no ice cream or cake? Or fried chicken or adobo? Or chicharone?
    Eating nothing but whole foods is a "diet" to me.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    So no ice cream or cake? Or fried chicken or adobo? Or chicharone?
    Eating nothing but whole foods is a "diet" to me.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Does it count as a whole food if you eat a whole cake?

The last cake I baked had 1.5kg of chocolate in it. I'm pretty sure you'd lose weight after eating that - you'd throw it all up and then some!

(I do bake large, fancy cakes!)
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    OP, you're getting a lot of silly comments because you touched on a hot button issue without realizing it.

The good news is that MFP gives you the tools you need to easily create your own diet plan. Enter your starting weight, activity level, and goals, and get your calorie recommendation. Then enter your favorite foods and recipes and take a look at what you can best eat to fit into your calories and macros. The macros are not important for weight loss, but are a good thing to look at to be sure you are getting enough nutrition. You can adjust your personal nutrition targets under settings, so if you as a vegetarian want to eat higher carb, for example, you can do that.

I recommend logging everything you eat for one week plus your exercise without making any changes, then looking at it to see where you have been going wrong in the past and what changes would be easiest for you. For example you might find out your salads have twice as much dressing as you need and you could cut two hundred calories right there without missing it. Or that you always overeat when you go out with a certain friend to a certain restaurant. Then figure out what you want to eat, starting with about three or four dinners and lunches you like to eat, and a couple of breakfasts and snacks. Start simple and expand your repertoire so you aren't doing anything too different from what you normally do. Add some activity you enjoy to earn a few extra calories.

Good luck to you!
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    None. Diets are designed to be temporary, which is generally why the end up failing in the long run. Simply eat less than your maintenance and you will lose weight. Once at desired weight, eat at maintenance.

Eat what you normally eat, just remove some of the less nutritious food or scale back overall quantities.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    None. Diets are designed to be temporary, which is generally why the end up failing in the long run.
    I would say diets are simply meant to fail, sooner or later is just depending in how much white-knuckling the dieter manages to muster.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    roni377 wrote: »
    I'm a vegetarian back to dieting. Six months I killed myself doing keto because I wanted to find a way to make it work. I loved the lack of appetite but of course as a vegetarian it was impossible. I lasted 4 weeks. I lost some weight but in 3 months gained it all back and then some. Before I did keto I did weight watchers. It had been very successful years ago but I couldn't make the new programs work for me. I'm going back to work and none of my work clothes fit me so surrendered to the 1200 a day. It was 1000 until today. I try to exercise and only eat half of that back. I've lost 6 lbs in 2 weeks with no big weight loss in the beginning. I wish you luck. I hope you find the magic formula that works for you. People think it's easier to diet as a vegetarian but I don't think it is maybe if you're vegan.

I've dieted as an omnivore, lacto-ovo vegetarian, and as a vegan. They were all challenging.

• OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    OP, you're getting a lot of silly comments because you touched on a hot button issue without realizing it.

The good news is that MFP gives you the tools you need to easily create your own diet plan. Enter your starting weight, activity level, and goals, and get your calorie recommendation. Then enter your favorite foods and recipes and take a look at what you can best eat to fit into your calories and macros. The macros are not important for weight loss, but are a good thing to look at to be sure you are getting enough nutrition. You can adjust your personal nutrition targets under settings, so if you as a vegetarian want to eat higher carb, for example, you can do that.

I recommend logging everything you eat for one week plus your exercise without making any changes, then looking at it to see where you have been going wrong in the past and what changes would be easiest for you. For example you might find out your salads have twice as much dressing as you need and you could cut two hundred calories right there without missing it. Or that you always overeat when you go out with a certain friend to a certain restaurant. Then figure out what you want to eat, starting with about three or four dinners and lunches you like to eat, and a couple of breakfasts and snacks. Start simple and expand your repertoire so you aren't doing anything too different from what you normally do. Add some activity you enjoy to earn a few extra calories.

Good luck to you!

It actually wasn't the op's post that was an issue, (I thought hers was a good question), but the pp's assertion that you must eat 'whole' foods to lose weight. That may confuse the op and lead her to believe that she has to make drastic changes to how she eats, when in fact she just needs to adjust her calorie intake to meet her weight loss goals.