How do you handle the feeling of wanting to give up the diet?

Options
2»

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Think about what makes you want to stop. Then see if you can find a compromise. Is your diet too restrictive? Loosen it up.
  • IONickname
    IONickname Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    For me, it was the knowledge that I lost 55 lbs. in the past and it wasn't that difficult, nor did I have to deny myself the foods I love. I just have to learn to practice moderation and be aware that certain foods can trigger me to binge, if I don't keep close tabs on myself. I'm a horrible dieter. I have to plan everything out, which gets frustrating, but once it becomes habit, it gets easier. Not proud to admit this, but I had lots of extra calories one night last week because I had a particularly stressful and busy day where I didn't get much to eat, so I was starved by dinner. Found a box of sugar-free instant pudding in the pantry, made it with 1% milk (can't stand skim), and ate that for dinner. It was delicious and I felt like crap afterward. LOL You'll find yourself with more energy and feeling better once you've been eating cleaner for a while. The hardest part is the initial few weeks because your body is adjusting to a decreased intake. Be sure you're eating all your set calories for the day (without eating up exercise calories, unless you've increased your activity level by a lot). Not eating enough can really mess with your head and will kill your willpower faster than being in Ben & Jerry's with a gift certificate. Believe in yourself. Distract yourself when you're feeling hungry (as long as you're out of calories). Keep healthy snacks around. Figure out whether you're actually hungry or trying to stuff feelings. If you're stuffing feelings, distract yourself with healthy activities, call a friend, go for a walk, meditate, pray, do a crossword puzzle. These are things that have worked for me. YMMV. Please don't give up on yourself.
  • kolson111322
    kolson111322 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I definitely appreciate all the insight everyone. You all brought many things to the table and tons to think about what may work and why I am doing this because I don't want to give up. I think it'll take talking to myself every day, maybe even every hour or minute. It definitely isn't easy.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    The first few days were the hardest for me, then I hit a sort of "groove" and made peace with feeling a little hungry at times. After several months, I took a maintenance break for a week or so then jumped back in - and again the first few days were the hardest. Cycling between deficit and maintenance at the then-weight works for me. Don't give up, OP :)
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I've been on here for 4 years and lost my weight twice, only to regain it plus a little more, by stopping logging and counting. This time around I've been losing 1-2 pounds a month (had 25 to lose). I have 8 to go. When I ate 24 mini-Snickers last week, I went over my calories by 550, and logged it. I ate 15 the next day, was over by 300 calories, and logged it. Now I'm back on track and back to where I started weight wise, before the Snickers. I knew I hadn't really gained 2 pounds of fat. Just a lot of water weight and a little bit of real weight. Maybe a third of a pound.

This is an example of the "learning" many talk about. It's taken me years to get to this point. I guess I'm a slow learner. But, better late than never. Hang in there, and work on understanding what makes you tick, and the foods you want to eat, as well as the foods you need to eat.
  • boredloser
    boredloser Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    It's only been a day! Don't give up before you've given yourself and your body a chance to even start,

My advice is don't force yourself to eat things you don't like. Don't like kale? Don't eat it. Don't like turkey? Don't eat it. You wont stick to a diet (or maybe you will, but with more difficulty than necessary) if you don't enjoy what you're eating. Treat yourself once in a while but don't go overboard. (I allow myself a treat daily, eg. a 95cal chocolate bar and/or some Metcalfe's Skinny Popcorn). Don't make it feel like a chore basically.

Second is don't beat yourself up for eating more than your goal. Start the next day anew. Make sure you're not under-eating but are still at a deficit that will help you lose.

This is my second go around at losing weight with MFP, I lost 50lbs 2 years ago and then some things happened in my personal life that made me quit and fall off the wagon, I'm back on it this time.

It can take a lot of learning and adjusting. Some days you'll be hungrier than others, and the loss won't always be linear but don't give up. The idea of rewarding yourself is a great idea and I'm doing something similar myself.

I wish you all the best!
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    This is usually an indication that one has a very myopic view of what constitutes "healthy" and eating properly...also an indication that maybe the deficit is too aggressive...

Losing weight doesn't have to be and shouldn't be torture. Eating healthy doesn't mean everything has to be bland and boring and nothing but salads and plain chicken breasts and steamed broccoli. Just cook a variety of meals using largely whole foods...make them delicious.

Agree 100%
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    LZMiner ... "I really need to honor and love myself".... Very profound and to the point!!! Thank you!
  • hydechildcare
    hydechildcare Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    What is the healthy diet you have started? What is eating properly, in your opinion?

I personally never want to give up my diet, because that's just what I eat, and I have to eat, and I enjoy what I eat. It makes me feel great and I look forward to every meal.

Just portion control, eating healthier with more of the right things than the junk foods (I'm using Jenny Craig for 2 weeks to help with that). There's nothing wrong with the food. So far, everything I've eaten is good and I've enjoyed it and I'm getting enough food. My brain is just doing the double-talking thing and I'm not sure how to handle that.

Maybe the Jenny Craig isn't providing you with enough calories. Try adding a side to each meal. Or an extra snack once a day. My favorite snacks are a Apple and almonds or celery and peanut butter. When I have felt like giving up in the last it was because I wasn't getting the nurtion my body needs to stay full longer. Now I am doing a high protien and fiber diet with low carbs and sugars. 10 days strong not starving all the time. If I get a chocolate craving I have a small fun size piece. Find what works for you.