How Do You Stay "Regular" Toilet-Wise?

Options
I noticed that when I'm losing weight, I go to the toilet maybe once every 4-5 days and it's usually a huge effort because of the constipation. How do others stay regular?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Are you getting sufficient fiber?

• goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    You don't need cereal to get fibre. I try to get most of my fibre from fruits and veggies, but I have also added psyllium to things.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,363 Member
    Options
    Fibre, sufficient good fats, water, exercise.

Fibre comes in many foods not just cereal and there are a few high fibre cereals with very little sugar.
  • chesstauren
    chesstauren Posts: 11 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I noticed your earlier post saying that you eat 1200 calories, plus you exercise. The problem might be that you're not eating enough.

My BMR is about 1600 so 1200 calories is a rather moderate cut. And I don't exercise every day. Although when I do, it's usually 1500 or more calories.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I thought MFP set 1500 as a minimum for males. Are you able to close out your diary each day. Sorry, I'm not familiar with MBR. Are you saying that is your maintenance calories?

Oh wait, did you mean BMR? If so, that's your calorie burn with zero activity factored in.
  • MaddMaestro
    MaddMaestro Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Probably more fiber. Certain veggies, fruits, and oatmeal can help. One way that works for me is to eat Oatmeal with ground flax seeds
  • chesstauren
    chesstauren Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Oh wait, did you mean BMR? If so, that's your calorie burn with zero activity factored in.
    Yeah, I meant the Base Metabolic Rate. I live a rather sedentary lifestyle so 1200 calories is just fine for me. The only problem is the constipation.
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    My diary is open and I have no problem poopin ;)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Wheat bran is still sold (I saw it last week), but it might not be where you live. If that's a source you enjoy, maybe you could order some online?
    The problem is that it's crazily expensive. I used to buy wheat bran for like $1 per pound, but online it costs $20 or more.
    Do you eat fruit? Pears and raspberries are high fiber (other fruits too, these are just some of my favorites). Of course, if you're limiting sugar, these will also be a concern. Avocado is also higher in fiber than you might think -- ten grams in a 146 gram serving (about one cup).

Beans? They're packed with fiber.
    I'm on a low carb diet though, so I'd rather avoid anything with sugar or starch.

Many vegetables are good sources of fiber and they can be especially great when you're counting calories because many of them are easy to fit into your calorie goal.
    I eat about 1 pound of vegetables a day, but it's mostly steamed green beans and broccoli. Doesn't really help.
    Whole grains are another way to boost fiber. If you don't want cereal, maybe oats would be something you could fit into your day.
    Again, that's carbs, which I would like to avoid. It seems like the only solution is taking the psyllium, which is rather expensive.

Yeah, when you eliminate a lot of high fiber foods from your diet, supplementation may become your best option.

Also, as mentioned above if you're eating very low calorie (and I would consider netting below 1,200 to be that), you aren't going to have much food in your body. This can make it more difficult to go regularly, especially if your diet is already lower in fiber.
  • susanp57
    susanp57 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    This has been a problem on and off for years, irrespective of diet. I take a fiber supplement every morning and magnesium pill every evening.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,470 Member
    Options
    Do you eat enough fats? They are not only important for your brains and vitamin absorption, but also keep things moving.
  • Quadrashocker
    Quadrashocker Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Lots of water, Psylium husk pills (on days I don't get enough fiber), and a probiotic.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Generally fats, fiber, water and exercise move things along pretty well.

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    It could just be an adjustment period, maybe? When I first started tracking cals and cutting out a lot of the extremely fatty foods I was eating, I was plugged up on the daily, but it *ahem* worked itself out.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Our cat has the same problem. The vet said to give her some Miralax every morning. Works like a charm.