Trying to lose weight without returning to an eating disorder

Options
Hi everyone. I had a eating disorder for 12 years. I have recovered, but I would like to lose weight now, but in a healthy way. I think this app would be helpful. However, I'm wondering if it will be too similar to my ED, which involved counting and restricting calories, the same way this app does.

Just wondering if there is anyone else out there who has gone through something similar? Lost weight in the past due to an ED but are now trying to lose weight in a healthy way? Would be great to talk to someone who might understand and have some suggestions for how I can use this app in a healthy and balanced way.

Thanks just for reading!!

Replies

• NurseAmj
    NurseAmj Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    susanayt97 wrote: »
    I believe you should talk to your doctor. It's tough not to get a little obsessed with the numbers :/

Hmm, maybe you're right. I know I had trouble with being obsessed about numbers in the past... I just don't know how else to lose weight without tracking how much I'm eating!
  • susanayt97
    susanayt97 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    NurseAmj wrote: »
    I believe you should talk to your doctor. It's tough not to get a little obsessed with the numbers :/

Hmm, maybe you're right. I know I had trouble with being obsessed about numbers in the past... I just don't know how else to lose weight without tracking how much I'm eating!

Yeah, it's pretty hard to lose weight not knowing. And it takes a lot of time to see results with a lot of people, so they undereat or workout too much. It all depends on how you feel now. The best thing is really to talk to a doctor, and ask for professional advice :)
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    hit your numbers, not just UNDER your numbers, but all the way up to them as well, then you are eating enough to be healthy without eating so much that you gaining weight...I try to keep my calories within 200, so up to 200 calories over, but not more than 200 calories under...that way there is no temptation to just not eat
  • NurseAmj
    Options
    hit your numbers, not just UNDER your numbers, but all the way up to them as well, then you are eating enough to be healthy without eating so much that you gaining weight...I try to keep my calories within 200, so up to 200 calories over, but not more than 200 calories under...that way there is no temptation to just not eat

That's a super helpful suggestion. And I like the idea of a small range. Thank you for the idea!!
  • NurseAmj
    Options

Yeah, it's pretty hard to lose weight not knowing. And it takes a lot of time to see results with a lot of people, so they undereat or workout too much. It all depends on how you feel now. The best thing is really to talk to a doctor, and ask for professional advice :)

Thank you so much! I appreciate you replying. I'll talk to my doctor about it when I see him next month.

• MeemawCanDoIt
    MeemawCanDoIt Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I was bulimic for many, many years. Now that I'm logging on MFP, I feel some of those obsessive thoughts trying to creep in from time to time. I'm open with my doctor about it. I discuss it with my family. Being transparent has been the best thing for me.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,611 Member
    Options
    Talking to a doctor or pro is a really good idea.
    It could well be that it is too soon to be worrying about your weight or trying to correct it. Or not.
    Hence...
    Talking to a doctor or pro is a really good idea :wink:

Since large caloric deficits of and by themselves and with no prior indication of susceptibility are enough to generate/create ED behaviour in people who are subjected to them, I would argue that CHOOSING TO USE A SMALL DEFICIT could only be beneficial. But I am not a doctor or a pro. So talking to them...
  • My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    I've had an ED for 19 years and it's the mental aspect that you should focus on. I would restrict when I was feeling stressed, so to switch it up, I started doing yoga to cleanse my spirit. Then when I started weight lifting, I realized how much food I needed and upped my intake which took out the restrictions.

By putting your focus and energy into a different program that releases endorphins, you won't feel the need to fixate on your ED habits.

Also, try new foods. Have a wide variety of sources to get all of your nutrients.