Surely I shouldn't be eating 3200 calories a day...

Options
QUEENxo1992
QUEENxo1992 Posts: 69 Member
edited August 2017 in Food and Nutrition
MyFitnessPal says I can eat 3251 cals/day. That makes no sense to me since 3500 is 1 pound. I have it at 1.5 lbs to lose per week. But that many calories is not possible for me on my low carb diet. I eat around 1,500 and I'm trying really hard to eat more. (1.200 is starvation) is it lying to me or should I change my macros so it's easier to eat that much? Advice please ?

EDIT: My weight is 456 lbs. I'm 5'8. And my goal weight is 200 lbs at the highest. I don't measure my food just use the scanner and this app so far to count calories.

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    What is your weight and height?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    MyFitnessPal says I can eat 3251 cals/day. That makes no sense to me since 3500 is 1 pound. I have it at 1.5 lbs to lose per week. But that many calories is not possible for me on my low carb diet. I eat around 1,500 and I'm trying really hard to eat more. (1.200 is starvation) is it lying to me or should I change my macros so it's easier to eat that much? Advice please ?

We need your height, weight, and goal weight to figure.

3500 calories is the deficit you need to lose 1 lb. So if you want to lose 1 lb per week, you need to eat 500 calories less per day than your body needs.

Are you using a food scale to determine your portions? 1500 cals is not a lot, if you are struggling to eat anymore than that, you are probably eating more than you think.

Check out the sticky posts at the top of each forum for some great tips on logging and using the app :smile:
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    MyFitnessPal says I can eat 3251 cals/day.
    What's your height and weight? Did you set your weight loss goal to 1.5 lbs per week? If you get 3251 calories to eat, and you put in your stats correctly, it means that you have enough fat on your body to sustain a loss of 3 or maybe 4 pounds per week, which you will achieve if you consistently eat around 2000 calories per day.
    That makes no sense to me since 3500 is 1 pound.
    It's just a number, coincidence. At your weight, you need more than a pound of fat worth in calories per day to maintain your weight. At a lower weight, you'll need less energy to maintain weight.
    I have it at 1.5 lbs to lose per week. But that many calories is not possible for me on my low carb diet. I eat around 1,500 and I'm trying really hard to eat more. (1.200 is starvation) is it lying to me or should I change my macros so it's easier to eat that much? Advice please?
    Eat however you want. I think you should aim for 2000 calories, but make sure you aren't lying to yourself - log correctly and hit that goal every day.
  • QUEENxo1992
    Options

5'8 456lbs
  • QUEENxo1992
    Options
    MyFitnessPal says I can eat 3251 cals/day.
    What's your height and weight? Did you set your weight loss goal to 1.5 lbs per week? If you get 3251 calories to eat, and you put in your stats correctly, it means that you have enough fat on your body to sustain a loss of 3 or maybe 4 pounds per week, which you will achieve if you consistently eat around 2000 calories per day.
    That makes no sense to me since 3500 is 1 pound.
    It's just a number, coincidence. At your weight, you need more than a pound of fat worth in calories per day to maintain your weight. At a lower weight, you'll need less energy to maintain weight.
    I have it at 1.5 lbs to lose per week. But that many calories is not possible for me on my low carb diet. I eat around 1,500 and I'm trying really hard to eat more. (1.200 is starvation) is it lying to me or should I change my macros so it's easier to eat that much? Advice please?
    Eat however you want. I think you should aim for 2000 calories, but make sure you aren't lying to yourself - log correctly and hit that goal every day.

Good ideas thank you.

• QUEENxo1992
    edited August 2017
    Options

5'8 456lbs

Then that seems about right you need 2847 just to keep you alive. That is known as you BMR.

It is not recommended to eat below that.

Hmmm okay. I will try my best.
    With your current weight you will get a higher calorie intake, even with a deficit included. As you get further into the process and begin losing weight your calorie intake will change and decrease to line up with your new weights. Trust the process, it really does work :)

Okay thanks for the advice.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options

5'8 456lbs

Then that seems about right you need 2847 just to keep you alive. That is known as you BMR.

It is not recommended to eat below that.

It's not that she will die from eating at BMR - she has the necessary fat reserves to sustain a pretty big weekly loss, and it's no problem to get in sufficient nutrition an way lower calories than that. 1% of total body weight per week is a better goal, and even that can be stretched when you get into mobidely obese area. At this stage it's important get a lot of weight off, and fast.

I wasn't meaning that the OP would die, just explaining bmr in laymans terms