How Do You Handle Saboteurs?

Options
Okay, so my BF and I are starting our 30 Day Clean Eating Challenge officially tomorrow, but yesterday I thought I'd get started early, after a month of eating total CRAP. I was doing REALLY well until my Mom called (she's visiting and leaves on Monday) -- "We MUST go to lunch!" I was like, "Um, can we eat here?" "NO!! I don't want to make it, let's eat OUT!" So I survived Houlihan's with a spinach salad, chicken tortilla soup and half a crab sandwich minus almost all the bread.

Last night, I was still doing OKAY (over calories but not by that much) when my hubby informs me, "I got you wine!" Well, you had me at merlot is my motto, basically, so then I ate (at 9 o'clock at night) two hard pretzels and 5 oz. of merlot.

I am DETERMINED beginning tomorrow to put my big girl panties on and do this challenge, but now I'm a little (a LOT) worried about family members sabotaging me.

How do you deal with saboteurs, especially family members? Any tips would be appreciated!:drinker:

Replies

• McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Simple. I don't let them have control over my food choices. It's up to you to lay down some ground rules, make it clear what sort of boundaries and support you need from your family and friends. Ultimately, be strong in the face of temptation. It took me 4 months straight of saying, "Nope. I don't eat that." for them to get it. Be strong!
  • Pam3
    Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bklyngirl71
    bklyngirl71 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    tell your husband that u need his support. what you'll be doing with your BF is important to you. hopefully he'll be supportive. i people want to pass food to u, just say no
  • Medcoder75
    Medcoder75 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    you dont know how many times I have had to tell friends and family no to eating out. They get used to it. it is funny too because they are the ones encouraging me but then asking me to go eat...I dont even think they realize it until I say no because of the calories. however, I will say -- you can find things that you can eat at most restaurants--- be picky in what you choose.
  • welloiledmachine
    welloiledmachine Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    I would just be honest with them and tell them what you are doing and that you would love their help in reaching your goal. Express to them how important it is. You also have the choice in what you eat so don't let others dictate what you're going to eat. Sometimes, you might have to avoid eating anything at that point and time when you are in a sticky situation.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    The magic word - "No"

You might have to use it more than once, but it works.

Don't worry too much about them, they will eventually come around.
  • sf08003
    sf08003 Posts: 30
    Options
    Actually, I think you did just great! You ate moderately, drank moderately, and had only minor guilt. Moderation is the key. Ultimately, it's about what you eat, not what they say. You control that and no one can take that away from you. Good job!
  • lizpfennig
    lizpfennig Posts: 14
    Options
    Oh goodness… I think you need to be upfront with all of your family and friends and explain what you are doing and ask for their support. They love you and will respect your wishes and tell your husband that instead of bringing home a bottle of merlot to bring home a bottle of sparkling water. Just keep in mind that while it's awesome that you are eating better, you also have to live life and not miss out on opportunities for fellowship with family and friends, so it's up to you to make good choices when eating out, or suggest a restaurant that has healthier options for everyone such as Applebee's with their 500 calories or less menu. After a while it will become routine for your family too. My husband ran out for lunch the other day and instead of brining back fried chicken for the two of us, he went to the salad bar instead! Your healthy lifestyle will become contagious and those around you will benefit from it. Good Luck!
  • RachelSRoach1
    RachelSRoach1 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    That reminds me of last night. I had all my healthy and good calories for the day.. a little under 1200 at the time.. and then my Husband's brother texts us at 8:30pm "do you want to go out to dinner??". We couldn't say no because we hardly see him and he drove up to see us. Anyway I ended up making it work by having a side salad and the seasonal veggies, eating them slowly so I wouldn't be distracted by lack of food, then guzzling like 3 glasses of water so I would be full and not wishing I was eating!

My husband also tends to be the one to ruin the calories at the end of the day without meaning to because he works at McDonald's as a manager and brings me home special surprises to be nice. So in an attempt to be prepared I just started leaving like 400 calories available just in case. Then if he didn't bring anything I can have a sandwich or something to make it up.
  • mmstgr
    mmstgr Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I have a difficult time with this too.
    Just yesterday in fact, I hadn't eaten much during the day because I was out doing the dreaded back to school shopping for my son.
    So I mentioned that I may treat myself to some Subway. So, hubby orders pizza instead of getting Subway :(.
    I ate it :(. I was still under my calories, but it ended up being the majority of them for the day.
    I'll have to work it off today for sure :/
  • MzMiller1215
    MzMiller1215 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I don't allow anyone to sabotage my lifestyle. Fortunately, my husband realizes how serious I am about my lifestyle change and has even made some adjustments on his own to eat healthier foods and working out with me when he can. This is going to be more of a mental challenge for you than anything. Good luck!
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    Nobody can sabotage you unless you let them,just say no .Unless they are sitting on top of you shoving the food down your throat,the only one that can sabotage you is you.
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everybody! The challenge is ON as of tomorrow! Cheers!:drinker:
  • ocnldy
    ocnldy Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Good Luck, it can be hard but remember that you need to put yourself first regardless of what everyone else wants or how they feel. You can do it!!!!