Weighing Liquids

Options
Hello everyone, I know that 1ml=1g for water and some other liquids, but how do you weigh dressings and other liquids that aren't labeled in grams and only in tbsp(ml)? Should you use a measuring cup, measuring spoons, or is it 1g=1ml for all the liquids? Thank you!

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I only use the scale for items that list a dry volume weight (grams or oz), so I tend to measure oils and such with measuring spoons, being careful not to overfill. I know 1g /= 1ml for liquids other than water, but I'm not sure if the difference with other liquids is too much to be accurate or not.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Use a measuring spoon/cup. Measuring is perfectly fine for liquids, just make sure you fill them level and don't over-fill.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    For the sake of convenience, I weigh small amounts of liquids with the knowledge that the measurement isn't as accurate as I might like. Large volumes would have a larger calorie/macro error so I use measuring cups for those.
  • LynnJ9
    LynnJ9 Posts: 414 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I ml = 1 g is only accurate for water. For example if you weighed salted water 1 ml would weigh more than 1 g. Oil is lighter than water (which is why is rises to the top) so if you weighed 1 g of oil instead of measuring you would end of with more than 1 ml.
  • boredloser
    boredloser Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Wait, so I've been getting the wrong info for my milk all this time? I'd been using my food scale to weigh out in grams and converting to ml for how much semi-skim I've been using for my cereal for weeks now :'(
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    You measure it correctly while it's on the scale once, note the weight for the correct quantity - and there you go.

My 2% milk is 258 g per cup. (your semi-skim will likely be closer to the 237 g that water is per cup)
  • LynnJ9
    LynnJ9 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    boredloser wrote: »
    Wait, so I've been getting the wrong info for my milk all this time? I'd been using my food scale to weigh out in grams and converting to ml for how much semi-skim I've been using for my cereal for weeks now :'(

The good news is milk weighs more than water so you were eating less calories than you thought.