Shiritaki Noodles

Options
Has anyone tried these? Do they taste good? I am trying low carb for now, since I can't blast this 30 pounds off......

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    They're not bad, but their taste and texture is very different from regular pasta. Many people enjoy them more with Asian-style sauces than with cheese or tomato sauce. Make sure you rinse them well because the water they're packed in can have a funky taste.
  • beaglady
    beaglady Posts: 1,362 Member
    Options
    I finally tried them in a pho style soup. Meh. They just take up space but don't contribute any other value to the dish.
  • miratps
    miratps Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Some people like them, some people don't. I like them as I like volume and on their own they taste bland (need to rinse thoroughly first), because of that, it can blend with any food I add it to or sauces/spices
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    beaglady wrote: »
    I finally tried them in a pho style soup. Meh. They just take up space but don't contribute any other value to the dish.

I think this is really the key. If you just see noodles or pasta as a vehicle for sauce and toppings or as something to add bulk, there's a better chance these will work for you. But if you actually enjoy the taste and texture of noodles or pasta, these are disappointing.
  • Aw0627
    Aw0627 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I think they taste better when they're made like Pho, ramen, or lo mein, or even something light like an olive oil garlic sauce. I've tried them with a bolognese sauce which was okay, but I don't think they work better with lighter sauces and soups.
  • cdkelly
    cdkelly Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Love them! I have used them in 3 different meal preps now and find them to be a great alternative when I have a pasta craving. The key is to find ways to season and prep them. YouTube is a great resource. If you just rinse them and eat them as is they won't be any more exciting than regular plain pasta with nothing in it.
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I like them a lot now and use them pretty often. I didn't when I first tried them. I found that if I dry fry them first (after rinsing very well), before adding them to any recipe, they take on a whole different consistency and are very nice. Without the dry frying, they're similar to eating rubber bands, or what I imagine that would be like. If I put them in a dry fry pan on medium high heat and stir them around for about 5 minutes, then add to sauces, soups or casseroles, they're very good. Also, if you use them in Crockpot recipes, they take on a whole other consistency.

I buy mine at the local Asian grocery store since they cost about $1 a bag there vs $3-8 a bag at other grocery stores.
  • sofchak
    sofchak Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    beaglady wrote: »

I think this is really the key. If you just see noodles or pasta as a vehicle for sauce and toppings or as something to add bulk, there's a better chance these will work for you. But if you actually enjoy the taste and texture of noodles or pasta, these are disappointing.

This is spot on for an explanation for someone in advance of trying for the first time. If you love the taste and texture of pasta and expect that from this alternative solution, THIS IS NOT a good fit FOR YOU and you will be thoroughly disappointed.

However, if you prefer this option as a vehicle to transport yummy sauces to your mouth, you'll be very happy. I make a nice veggie stir fry and after boiling the noodles, add them to the frying pan (I like the ziti shape best). From there, I add in whatever sauce I want and once heated, transfer it all to a plate. The noodles take on the taste of the sauce, but they do not have any sort of consistency of pasta. Period. They really just exist in my menu plan because I am a volume eater and these noodles add bulk to my dishes without the added calories of pasta.

• jopalis
    jopalis Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    For the most part, I just don't eat things I really don't like. Would rather either not have the food or eat a small portion.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I tried them once, and I found them so gross that I actually threw them up. They were even worse the second time around....

However, I'm a pretty awful cook so I could just be part of the problem. If you are going to try them, get a good recipe that has high ratings. Don't just try to free style them because they are such a weird consistency.

Or, you can choose spaghetti squash and zucchini noodles over this.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I butchered the way I prepared them so I've been scarred for awhile. May try it again and follow a different guide as well if it goes on sale. May be better with a pesto next time. I tried a cheesey one first, and it was awful.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I like them! I definitely use them in Asian style noodles (so far I've made fried noodles with them a few times with various meats and veggies). I wouldn't use them with pasta sauce.