Kettlebells & C25K Training~Advice Needed

Options
Looking for some advice on my training. I do a kettlebell program that has a rotating cycle of 2 days on, mobility day, then off day. I also just started C25k program which is day on, one day off.

Im wondering if I should just do both programs independent of each other and hope that occasionally the stars align so I get a day off or should I modify the days so that I get at least one full day off a week?

Im hating to alter either since the kettlebell is a 90 day program I'm 33 days into but I need C25K to be completed on time because Im aiming for my first race 10/28.

Any been there done that advice appreciated :)

Replies

• julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Which Kettlebell program are you doing? I would alter the programming to get some rest days.
  • Coco_Camm
    Coco_Camm Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Which Kettlebell program are you doing? I would alter the programming to get some rest days.

Daily Burn DBK
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Coco_Camm wrote: »

Daily Burn DBK

Cool! I've never seen that one before. With programs like that I like to see what I need to do in a week and just get it done making the Kettlebell work the priority. How well the C25K mixes with that will depend on how you respond to the running. If there are days in the Kettlebell program where there is less conditioning, I would put the runs on those days or do the run with the yoga. Listen to your body. If you need a rest day when there isn't one scheduled take a rest day. You will still get the benefits of both programs if you miss some sessions.
  • PennStateChick
    PennStateChick Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    C25k is just intended to be 3 days a week so it doesn't have to be every other day. When I started, I did Tues, Thurs and either Sat or Sun most of the day. However, it's pretty easy to adjust. I even had some weeks that I didn't skip a day inbetween workouts. You need to know your body and what you can do. However, I don't think it'd be too difficult to align your workouts.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Looking for some advice on my training. I do a kettlebell program that has a rotating cycle of 2 days on, mobility day, then off day. I also just started C25k program which is day on, one day off.

Im wondering if I should just do both programs independent of each other and hope that occasionally the stars align so I get a day off or should I modify the days so that I get at least one full day off a week?

Im hating to alter either since the kettlebell is a 90 day program I'm 33 days into but I need C25K to be completed on time because Im aiming for my first race 10/28.

Any been there done that advice appreciated :)

Personally I'd suggest establishing your real priorities and planning accordingly. Given the deadline of the 5K event then that rather constrains you to fixing C25K in your diary and working the KB plan around that.

I've suggest a full day off training every week, and where you've got two competing sessions in a day try to manage your effort.

That said, something like KB training is quite complimentary to running.
  • Coco_Camm
    Options
    C25k is just intended to be 3 days a week so it doesn't have to be every other day. When I started, I did Tues, Thurs and either Sat or Sun most of the day. However, it's pretty easy to adjust. I even had some weeks that I didn't skip a day inbetween workouts. You need to know your body and what you can do. However, I don't think it'd be too difficult to align your workouts.

It's not the "official" C25K program, just one I found on Pinterest that I thought was manageable and fit within my 8 week deadline. This one accounts for everyday of the week with every other day being rest.
  • Coco_Camm
    Options

[/quote]

Personally I'd suggest establishing your real priorities and planning accordingly. Given the deadline of the 5K event then that rather constrains you to fixing C25K in your diary and working the KB plan around that.

I've suggest a full day off training every week, and where you've got two competing sessions in a day try to manage your effort.

That said, something like KB training is quite complimentary to running. [/quote]

You're right :smiley: I do need to make the running a priority right now. If need be I will shift the KB program around a bit. Im just such a type A that the idea of not completing it perfectly seems like cheating which I know is silly.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You most likely need 1-2 rest days per week, especially once C25K gets ramped up. The Zenlabs C25K in an 8 week program. It's more important to stay healthy than to meet a specific deadline. If you can walk 2-3 miles, you will be able to finish the 5k one way or another. If you can't walk 2-3 miles, you need to take your training slow and easy. Good luck with all your projects!
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    It's not the "official" C25K program, just one I found on Pinterest that I thought was manageable and fit within my 8 week deadline. This one accounts for everyday of the week with every other day being rest.

It's great that you're enthusiastic about the C25K program. Please follow it as originally intended (3x a week). The program is designed to give your body rest and help it manage the added stress. Doing more than intended can lead to injury and discouragement. Taking a week or two longer than an arbitrary deadline will get you to your goal without injury and you'll feel great.