Alcohol & Weight Loss

Options
I am having an extremely difficult time giving up alcohol on my weight loss journey. I have cut back significantly, but some days I binge & it definitely shows on the scale. I also tend to make terrible food choices after drinking.
Anyone else had or have this issue? Any tips to overcome this? Do you include alcohol in your diet?

Replies

• sosteach
    sosteach Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I do include alcohol but only at the most two days a month. For those social events I save my calories and I choose lower calorie drinks and only have a couple or I will make bad food choices too. Alternate you alcohol with water and if you are going to a party bring a veggie tray to ensure some low calorie snacks. If it is an event where you fear bingeing don't start. Stick to water.
  • jasummers76
    jasummers76 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I am not a drinker but my dad fought the same battle as you. First mixed drinks usually have the most Cal's compared to low cal beer and spirits. The choices on food after getting tipsy... Well I have no help for you on that one. Impulse control and decision making skills deminish the drunker you are. Dad limited himself to weekend drinking only and really never got wasted. So the food thing wasn't a real issue for him. His issue was the bloated stomach on a skinny body.
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I found it very difficult to cut back on booze years ago. Ended up quitting entirely. What's nice is I have lots more room to eat sweets and junky things when I like, because I'm not drinking my calories anymore.
  • goldiejdb
    goldiejdb Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    DrEnalg wrote: »
    I found it very difficult to cut back on booze years ago. Ended up quitting entirely. What's nice is I have lots more room to eat sweets and junky things when I like, because I'm not drinking my calories anymore.

Yea, it seems like I can't just drink in moderation. I hate to quit entirely but if that's what I have to do to stop jeopardizing my weight loss I will
  • goldiejdb
    goldiejdb Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I am not a drinker but my dad fought the same battle as you. First mixed drinks usually have the most Cal's compared to low cal beer and spirits. The choices on food after getting tipsy... Well I have no help for you on that one. Impulse control and decision making skills deminish the drunker you are. Dad limited himself to weekend drinking only and really never got wasted. So the food thing wasn't a real issue for him. His issue was the bloated stomach on a skinny body.

I wish I could just limit myself to drinking on the weekends but Taco Tuesdays & Margaritas always gets me
  • annieinnm
    annieinnm Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    The trick is to focus on the things you CAN have and not on the ones you can't (like sugar/alcohol).
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    goldiejdb wrote: »
    DrEnalg wrote: »

Yea, it seems like I can't just drink in moderation. I hate to quit entirely but if that's what I have to do to stop jeopardizing my weight loss I will

Yeah. I can't speak for others, but moderation was just too difficult for me. Abstinence is far easier and much less complicated, requires very little effort after the first 6-12 months.
  • gatzke123
    gatzke123 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I love me some weekend drinks. But I notice it's not any help in fitness
  • Winner5555555
    Winner5555555 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Yes I also find this difficult. I have not got a sweet tooth, as in I rarely eat chocolate or sweets or even sugary drinks. I have no problem not having these in moderation however rarely have them. My challenge is savoury food as in Crisps and food takeaway dinners and dreaded beer. I love these things and at times not in moderation. I hope you achieve yours goals and your not alone in making bad food and drink choices. Good luck.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    joemac1988 wrote: »
    My advice would be to plan for drinks (eat less those days), keep water consumption up, choose drinks wisely (vodka and club soda instead of a sugary cocktail for example) and minimize frequency and volume as much as possible.

I find I can't do this (eat less on days I drink). Losing 100 lbs has made me a real lightweight when it comes to alcohol, and I need food in my gut before I start drinking or I'm toast. So drinking nights takes a couple of days of planning or a couple days of recovery from the calorie perspective.

It doesn't help that I don't make the best food choices. I just have to limit the times I go out now.

• Yoldle19
    Yoldle19 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    This is something I am trying to master right now myself! The struggle is real!!
  • bentleytino2010
    bentleytino2010 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Will power! I love beer and tacos but I know if I can give them up for until I reach my goal it will be worth it. I do have a few days out the month where I can have a few beers and some tacos but I dont let it get out of hand and set me back majorly.