I have no clue what I'm doing....

Options
So, I've had this app for YEARS now. Never actually explored it or used it much. I've finally lit a fire under my *kitten* to start working out and actually doing something about my steadily increasing weight. Honestly, it makes me so sad to see where I was just a couple years ago vs where I'm at now. I told myself I would do this for me. Not because I HATE my body, but because I LOVE it and want to fix it.

Being a cast member and performer for Disney certainly is a factor in my urge to "get better" and "get fit". To supplement the MFP app, I've also joined Beachbody on Demand (BOD) and have a membership for Planet Fitness. To say I'm going into this like a raging bull would be an understatement.

It's gonna be tough, and it's gonna whoop me pretty bad, but I figure I'm gonna do whatever I can to motivate myself (and maybe others too). I'm kind of new to all of the overwhelming aspects of this app but I'll do whatever I can to keep myself going--- whether it's posting, discussing, adding friends or just simply keeping track of my macros.

I hope to read this same post a few months down the road, or maybe a year from now and see how far I've come. Any help, tips and motivation are always welcome. I hope to share this journey with you....

Replies

• kmorales_4
    kmorales_4 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of forums here. A lot of people put out great advice out there. Try to stay motivated and beware of those that use the app for errmm "play" rather than it's intended purpose.

Have fun! ☺
  • CHELLETW1980
    CHELLETW1980 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Jus set up my account tonite so am kinda still try on to figure app out good luck gettin the body u want
  • susanayt97
    susanayt97 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Not because I HATE my body, but because I LOVE it and want to fix it.
    That's a great thing to say!
    You can find all the help and motivation you need around here. If you have a question, just post it and someone will answer :)

• Wiggymommy
    Wiggymommy Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    My biggest tip with the app, other then logging everyday and logging everything, is to add a good group of friends. I don't post often but seeing their progress and their commitment is very inspiring.
  • paulawriteslove
    paulawriteslove Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Hello! Welcome to MFP! You sound so motivated- I love it!!! You got this!!! Just take it one day at a time. Feel free to add me if you'd like :)
  • arnoldbrion518
    arnoldbrion518 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the awesome words and pointers everyone! Looking forward to this one
  • Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the honeymoon phase of your weight loss journey! The first day or two feels awesome, doesn’t it? Then, around day 3…

I see it all the time. People will hurt themselves at the gym, or binge because they’re starving. (I’m also speaking from personal experience). So you get off the wagon for a day or two and decide to “jump start” things next week. Sound familiar?

Alas, you and I are similar in this regard. Whenever I adopt a new habit or hobby, I go at it with everything I’ve got. (My mother says I have two speeds: flat out and flat on my back. My doctors usually ask me to name a reasonable level of activity in a day…and then they cut that number in half.) This lasts until my body or brain (or both) give out.

So enjoy the honeymoon, but…once you’re in a lull, consider some of the no-nonsense advice on this forum about taking small, sustainable steps toward a healthier you. Doing too much at once usually results in burnout. The best advice on these forums, IMO, can be distilled to this:

(1) To lose weight, you must consistently eat fewer calories than you burn. This is usually abbreviated CICO (calories in, calories out).

(2) In order to know how much you are eating, you must prepare as much of your own food as possible and weigh all solids and liquids on a digital kitchen scale. Preferably in grams (for solids) and milliliters (for liquids).

(3) In order to know how much you are burning, you must calculate your necessary calorie intake for survival (called the basal metabolic rate, or BMR). Never eat fewer than this number of calories if you are exercising intensely. If you wish, you can calculate added burns from exercise, but this is not required.

(4) Exercise is not required for weight loss, but it helps with fitness and appearance.

(5) You will not lose weight in a linear fashion, but you will lose fat if you maintain your program.

(6) Make the program you design as easy as possible for you to follow.

(7) If you’re suffering, you won’t stick with it.

(8) I mean it. Don’t suffer.

(9) Focus on making one significant change to your diet/exercise routine per week, and maintain these changes going forward. Doing this the slow way allows you to change your life—not just your pant size.

My two cents.