Healthy Alfredo sauce?

Options
13»

Replies

• nads_ayoub
    nads_ayoub Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/?s=alfredo

She has some great, healthy alternatives to the real stuff.

Thank you for sharing this link - the healthy desserts look amazing and I'll definitely be trying those!
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    base for cheese sauce is:

Melt 3-4 tablespoons butter (there's really no sub for this) in a pot with ~4oz fat free cream cheese

It's going to look weird b/c that ff cream cheese doesn't melt like full fat, but take it slow, keep stirring so it won't burn.

Once the butter and cream cheese have pretty much fused into a goop, add any seasonings (for alfredo perhaps some garlic, salt, pepper, maybe diced mushroom, then stir it around a bit until it's incorporated

Then pour in a cup to a cup or so of low fat milk (it's better if it's close to room temperature)

Then start dumping in any cheese once the milk is warm (don't go to fast, no more than medium heat) while stirring and it should incorporate while you stir. For alfredo you want parmesan, maybe some asiago or provolone. Soft cheeses typically work best.

You have to use full fat cheese, and you have to use full fat butter. Everything else can be subbed for low fat.

The other half of the story is using protein pasta. I use ISOPASTA but it's expensive. Supermarkets usually keep their protein pasta near the gluten free products because they are lentil based usually.

Anyway, there is tons of links and videos on google for this stuff. It just takes some playing to figure out what ingredients you can sub for low cal versions without breaking the food science.
  • ashley52601
    ashley52601 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
  • amberjohnson927
    amberjohnson927 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I actually just made an all vegan alfredo dish the other night. I am lactose intolerant so finding substitutes for all those "dairy" foods are hard sometimes. There is a store where I live called "Luckys Market" which is the same as "Whole Foods" and/or "The Fresh Market". They have a vegan alfredo sauce. It tastes just like the real thing! I made some spaghetti squash noodles, mushrooms, Tofu, and vegan alfredo to make a complete vegan alfredo dinner! And it was all under 350 calories!! :)
  • CADILAK
    CADILAK Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    emk129 wrote: »
    A head of cauliflower
    2 cloves of garlic
    2 cups almond milk
    Cayenne pepper to taste (I like the spice)
    Nutritional yeast to make it a cheesy consistency
    Pinch of Himalayan sea salt to taste.

If using fresh cauliflower, cut into bite-sized floret pieces.

Put the cut cauliflower into a medium size pot and boil for approximately 15 minutes, or until very tender, then drain.

Put the cauliflower and remaining ingredients into a Vitamix and blend until smooth and creamy.

Serve over pasta, spaghetti squash, zoodles or any other recipe that calls for "alfredo sauce".

Enjoy!

I've actually had this and its difficult to tell the difference. The texture and consistency is very similar to real Alfredo.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    Wow, I never thought of using cauliflour as a base for a sauce. That's sort of brilliant!
  • smokinbluegrass
    smokinbluegrass Posts: 126 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    This is my go-to. And I hand grate the real thing: parmesano reggiano. The serving listed in the macros is half a cup, but most often I used a quarter-cup. Half a cup is a lot. It reheats easily in the microwave, too, but gets saltier as it ages.
    1pt1rjq1fedp.png
    xrq0awu9ho6n.png
    smlpcw1877ra.png

• BrianAWeber
    BrianAWeber Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I think if you want to make alfredo sauce then you need to use gourmet heavy whipping cream with with at least 40% fat. Then make a reduction sauce. However, if you want to make one lower in calories you could use skim or 1% milk and then use corn starch to thicken.