Are there foods that you benefit more by eating them at certain times of the day vs at night

Options
Discussion title says it all if you can give any advise

Replies

• BPRKEY
    BPRKEY Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    No. But there are foods that I can't eat at night because they interfere with my sleep (ie, caffeinated, spicy. heavy, etc).
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I feel better when I eat some protein for breakfast. If my breakfast is mostly carbs I have a harder time making it to lunch. I eat protein and carbs in varying amounts at other times of the day too.
    I probably wouldn't eat a large amount of greasy spicy food right before trying to sleep.

• cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to sleep well if I eat foods with a lot of liquid or caffeine late at night. But my body will digest them fine.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I have to stay away from very sweet foods for breakfast, or my energy plummets. Fruit is fine, but no cookies or sugar added yoghurts.

I also don't eat or drink anything at least two hours before I go to bed, and empty bladder as the last thing, to avoid having to get up in the middle of the night.

Pretty easy stuff to fit into a normal routine.
  • LeeTiessen2017
    LeeTiessen2017 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    It really is a matter of personal preference and how specific foods, or types of food, make you feel.

I find I sleep better if I have some carbs late at night. Usually my bedtime snack is something like yogurt and a protein bar or a couple of eggs and a slice of toast. Otherwise, other than avoiding caffeine after lunch because it affects my sleep even with a long window, I try to eat some of all 3 macros at each meal and snack. I feel satisfied and don't have highs and lows if I do that.
  • jelly_potato
    jelly_potato Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Oat bran and oat like grains.

Having them in the morning lowers my hunger throughout the whole day and charges me with energy.
    Having them for dinner, on the other hand, gets me bloated, restless, and I wake up several times throughout the night to get water (curse that fiber).
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    High protein breakfasts. I just feel more "energized" throughout the day. Not sure why, don't even really care, but it helps me throughout the rest of my day.
  • JRSINAZ
    JRSINAZ Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Have a protein shake after workout.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    Benefit in what way? To exercise more efficiently? To run a 10K? Pretty broad spectrum.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    A huge and high carb breakfast is useful for me before a very long cycle ride.....

I think it's potentially useful to experiment to find an eating pattern or food choices that makes it easier for an individual to stick to their daily/weekly goal.

Examples:
    On a normal day I can skip breakfast without any impact on my hunger levels until lunchtime which makes it a relatively easy way for me to trim off a few hundred calories if I need to.

Macro composition of meals and hunger signals are also very personal - some find high protein very satiating but starchy carbs work for me.

A same every day calorie allowance irritates and frustrates me - some people like the routine.