Hunger.....

Has anyone tried anything to curb hunger?

Replies

• cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Keeping busy to be distracted.
  • rmgnow
    rmgnow Posts: 375 Member
    1454mfp wrote: »
    Has anyone tried anything to curb hunger?

:D best question ever
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Eating?

That's generally what works for me. Although if I know I shouldn't be hungry, I'll have a cup of tea and wait 20 minutes to see if I'm really hungry. Sometimes my stomach must get bored or something.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,027 Member
    1.2g of protein per body weight seems like an ungodly amount for the average person. I'd love to know the science that supports someone at 200lb eating 240g of protein a day. I average 60g a day at 240, where the heck would I ever fit in another 200g on top of that? I feel sick thinking about it.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    There are three things I've learned about hunger while dieting:
    - You do not need to eat as low as you think you have to eat (increase calories if they're low)
    - What you eat affects your hunger level (experiment with foods to form a mental list of filling foods)
    - Hunger is not scary (it's good to seek filling foods but it's okay not to be full 100% of the time)

I would add that when you eat affects your hunger level as well. Intermittent fasting is quite trendy right now, but really, you just need to figure out what works for you. I have a super boring desk job, so I pack and pre-log my breakfast and lunch, then eat gradually throughout the day rather than in two larger sittings (which for me led to the bored or sleepy afternoon munchies). I usually have a snack when I get home, a 500-600 calorie dinner, and another snack before bed. Like I said, there's no right answer.

Also, I agree that it's okay not to be full 100% of the time, but you don't need to be hungry 100% of the time either.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    1.2g of protein per body weight seems like an ungodly amount for the average person. I'd love to know the science that supports someone at 200lb eating 240g of protein a day. I average 60g a day at 240, where the heck would I ever fit in another 200g on top of that? I feel sick thinking about it.

240 seems too high but 60g is likely too low - my rule of thumb - .8g per the goal body weight - so If your goal is 150lbs, then 120g protein would be good

Still sounds like a lot...
  • NadNight
    NadNight Posts: 794 Member
    Drinking lots of water as thirst can make you think you're hungry and learning to recognise when I want to eat because I'm bored or just want to eat something because it tastes good vs actually starting to get hungry and needing to eat. If you're always genuinely hungry then you need to eat more or else you won't be able to sustain your habits
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Every time I join the 800g of fruit and veg a day challenge I am stuffed full.

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member

This^

OP - protein, fiber, and fat are all things that can curb hunger. It's a different combination for everyone.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member

240 seems too high but 60g is likely too low - my rule of thumb - .8g per the goal body weight - so If your goal is 150lbs, then 120g protein would be good

120g sounds like a lot? that is pretty much the estimate for preserving lean muscle mass if you have a lot to lose (.8g/goal body weight; if you know your body fat, then you could calculate that too, but it would potentially require more math)

I do 140g a day - which is more than the 1g/lmm - because I find protein to be satiating, but I never find that hard to hit - often times I'm over my goal for the day
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Black coffee, caffeine pills, Intermittent Fasting
  • MichelleSilverleaf

120g sounds like a lot? that is pretty much the estimate for preserving lean muscle mass if you have a lot to lose (.8g/goal body weight; if you know your body fat, then you could calculate that too, but it would potentially require more math)

I do 140g a day - which is more than the 1g/lmm - because I find protein to be satiating, but I never find that hard to hit - often times I'm over my goal for the day

Well that's bad news for me, now I'm worried about how much muscle I've been losing. Will have to figure out how to boost that number then.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member

Well that's bad news for me, now I'm worried about how much muscle I've been losing. Will have to figure out how to boost that number then.

46g a day is the minimum recommended daily intake of protein, but that is essentially (imho) for sedentary folks) - if you are doing any kind of working out/especially weights, then you potentially want to increase the protein
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member

Here's a good guideline (if you're overweight use the calculations on your goal weight):
    • If you are an athlete or highly active person currently attempting to lose body fat while preserving lean muscle mass, a daily intake of 1.5-2.2g/kg bodyweight (0.68-1g/lb bodyweight) would be a good target.
    • If you are an athlete or highly active person, or you are attempting to lose body fat while preserving lean mass, then a daily intake of 1.0-1.5g/kg bodyweight (0.45-0.68g/lb bodyweight) would be a good target.
    • If you are sedentary and not looking to change body composition much, a daily target of 0.8g/kg bodyweight (0.36g/lb bodyweight) and upwards would be a good target.