Probably a dumb question

Options
Well my thighs are really big and I was wondering. . . if I am biking, won't my leg muscles be getting so much exercise that the fat converts into muscle? Is that possible? I want to get down to a size four and I don't want my thighs to stay this size!!

Replies

• sprit_if
    Options
    Well my thighs are really big and I was wondering. . . if I am biking, won't my leg muscles be getting so much exercise that the fat converts into muscle? Is that possible? I want to get down to a size four and I don't want my thighs to stay this size!!
  • christahollis
    Options
    Fat does not convert to muscle.
    EVER.
    Fat does not CONVERT to anything...it's fat, it stays fat and stays put, unless you burn it off.

That said,
    cycling will slim your thighs along with the rest of you.

The vast majority of cardio exercises involve the legs...bike, run, eliptical, even rowing (which includes the upper body too). So no matter what you do, as you develop stronger leg muscles, they may bulk up a little bit...UNTIL you take the fat "off the top" so to speak.
  • kris23
    kris23 Posts: 44
    Options
    It is possible. I found that with the ab work I have done during the last few weeks, my weight and everything has gone down, and the ab work isn't as hard but my waist hasn't really gotten smaller when i measure it. However the fat and flab have definately gotten smaller, I can wear geans without the muffin top affect now. Hope that helps, muscle for fat, even if the size is the same isn't it better than nothing?
  • cp005e
    cp005e Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    The fat doesn't really "convert" to muscle -- but you may be burning fat (everywhere) at the same time that you are building muscles (in your legs). Generally, fat takes up more space than muscle, so if you replace fat with muscle you should shrink in size. That being said, unless you hardly have anything to lose or are seriously training (like for an athletic cycling event), I doubt that ALL your fat will be replaced with muscle!

To a large extent, your size and shape are controlled by genetics. For example, I am pretty sure that it would not be possible for me to be a size 4 - I have broad shoulders, ribcage, pelvis, knees, etc. But if you have been a size 4 in the past, then chances are you can get there again. And if not, just remember - it doesn't really matter what the size on the clothing is, it only matters how fit and healthy you are! If you're in good shape, your clothes will look great - no matter the size. :smile:
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    It depends on what kind of biking you are doing, you will have great legs from most rode cycling and the gym bikes but if you are mountain biking your thighs will get bigger with muscle but not like scharzenager (couldn't spell that if I had too! lol)

The nice thing is your legs will be proportionate because your calves will get real shapely too.

Besides, would you rather be a size four and soft or a size six and look hot? Remember if you are muscular you will appear smaller than if you are less muscular.
  • nicole0177
    Options
    All your excercise by biking can be builiding to much muscle in your legs i had a friend like that lost a lot of weight but had huge muscular legs bc she worked them to much if your gonna do biking try to use so much resistence remember you want to lean your legs not bulk them up!!!:wink:
  • sprit_if
    Options
    To a large extent, your size and shape are controlled by genetics. For example, I am pretty sure that it would not be possible for me to be a size 4 - I have broad shoulders, ribcage, pelvis, knees, etc. But if you have been a size 4 in the past, then chances are you can get there again. And if not, just remember - it doesn't really matter what the size on the clothing is, it only matters how fit and healthy you are! If you're in good shape, your clothes will look great - no matter the size. :smile:

I've been a size two in the past :/ Those were the days. I have a small frame and I'm looking to get back where I was. My ribcage is very small as are my hips and shoulders. I am very thin in my upper stomach and arms but as you get to the lower stomach, I widen out A LOT. And when I squeeze the fat on my thighs I can remember how I was. :/
  • leshik21
    leshik21 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Fat does not and cannot turn into muscle. That is a common myth. The truth is it is extremely hard to build lean muscle mass. In fact, in my profession, I used to have customers say to me all of the time, "I don't want to get big" "I don't want to do the stairmaster bc my butt will get big", etc. The fact is, even if you are a male in your prime, without performance enhancing drugs, the human body would be hard pressed to put on 5-10lbs of lean muscle mass per year. That would be at the highest of all levels. If you are a regular person, who works out in a normal fashion, don't be concerned with getting too big or adding too much muscle, it just isn't possible. Now, if you are a person who bikes all of the time, you may have more developed legs than a person who doesn't but it won't be that much. Like sprit_if said, genetics and body type have more to do with potential body size and distribution of muscle and fat.

Good Luck.