How much did you lose your first month?

Options
2»

Replies

• ZhivagosGirl
    ZhivagosGirl Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind I was 300 lbs when I started... I lost 22.5 lbs in the first month. I've been at it about 32 weeks now and I've averaged out over time to about 2 lbs a week.
  • bnblackwell
    bnblackwell Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    JJS1979 wrote: »
    Based on your question your mindset appears to want to lose weight as fast as possible. In my opinion this is not the right mindset. Whatever you do in terms of exercise and nutrition, you need to make sure you can do that forever. So if you are going to the gym 3 hours a day, 7 days a week and eating 1200 calories a day, you will lose a lot of weight but you will never be able to maintain that and will ultimately gain all your weight back and probably more.

Start out slow, and work your way up to more exercise and controlling calories, I would use one of the many TDEE calculators and subtract 10-15% from that number and adjust from there but never to the point you are starving yourself. As for exercise, start by walking 2-3 times a week and then add in the gym 1-2 times a week and increase from there.

To answer your question, I lost 3 lbs my first week (1.5% of starting bodyfat) and over the next 18 months I lost another 33lbs and live a healthy lifestyle, one that i can maintain forever.

One thing I said to myself was that if I am going to do this for the rest of my life, why does it matter how fast the results come, as long as they are achieved. Goodluck!

JJS1979 wrote: »
    Based on your question your mindset appears to want to lose weight as fast as possible. In my opinion this is not the right mindset. Whatever you do in terms of exercise and nutrition, you need to make sure you can do that forever. So if you are going to the gym 3 hours a day, 7 days a week and eating 1200 calories a day, you will lose a lot of weight but you will never be able to maintain that and will ultimately gain all your weight back and probably more.

Start out slow, and work your way up to more exercise and controlling calories, I would use one of the many TDEE calculators and subtract 10-15% from that number and adjust from there but never to the point you are starving yourself. As for exercise, start by walking 2-3 times a week and then add in the gym 1-2 times a week and increase from there.

To answer your question, I lost 3 lbs my first week (1.5% of starting bodyfat) and over the next 18 months I lost another 33lbs and live a healthy lifestyle, one that i can maintain forever.

One thing I said to myself was that if I am going to do this for the rest of my life, why does it matter how fast the results come, as long as they are achieved. Goodluck!

• GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    ~15 pounds
  • bnblackwell
    bnblackwell Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses! Of course I'd love for the weight to come off fast, but I also understand that slow and steady is better and I'm more likely to maintain that way. I have lost about 30 pounds on my own and the past few weeks I've just been in a slump and decided to join MFP. I thought if I read some of your experiences, it would pump me back up to get back on the wagon! My highest weight was 252 and I'm currently about 219. MFP says I should eat around 1200 calories per day.
  • RedSierra
    RedSierra Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I lost 10 lbs my first month. I started at an obese 177 lbs. It took between 4-5 months to lose 42 pounds, which averages out to a little more than 2 lbs a week. I didn't starve myself, though, so it is what it is. I'm at 135 now, which is a normal weight for me.
  • almazrou3ia
    almazrou3ia Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started last month only and lost 5kg
  • 92joann
    92joann Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I lost 18lbs my first month
  • Wolfger
    Wolfger Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    17.2 pounds between 2/15 and 3/15.