Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Gastric bypass

Options
I had full gastric in 2/2015 and I'm still down approximately 80 lbs since surgery and 130lbs overall since my highest weight.
I had also tried many diets and regained the weight. My mother ( recently passed) was my ambition to get healthy in order to not deal with the same health issues.
I do have a problem losing more weight now, my plateau is still hard to get past; in hindsight when I think that I shouldn't have had the surgery I look back to my old pictures and remind myself.
There are physical complications to the that I am experiencing now some but eating smaller amounts is automatically expected when you have the surgery.

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I had full gastric in 2/2015 and I'm still down approximately 80 lbs since surgery and 130lbs overall since my highest weight.
    I had also tried many diets and regained the weight. My mother ( recently passed) was my ambition to get healthy in order to not deal with the same health issues.
    I do have a problem losing more weight now, my plateau is still hard to get past; in hindsight when I think that I shouldn't have had the surgery I look back to my old pictures and remind myself.
    There are physical complications to the that I am experiencing now some but eating smaller amounts is automatically expected when you have the surgery.

if you want to lose more weight be in a deficit...

plateau's mean you are eating at maintenance not that your body is doing anything...

and it's a shame you feel the way you do but I often wonder how many feel the same way...

• Ivonnefnp
    Ivonnefnp Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello! RNY 4 years ago. The weight won't fall off as effortlessly as it did in the beginning. Remember your protein shake once a day and small portions are required but make sure they are nutritious and not junk.
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

if you want to lose more weight be in a deficit...

plateau's mean you are eating at maintenance not that your body is doing anything...

and it's a shame you feel the way you do but I often wonder how many feel the same way...

Take it with a grain of salt. Once the honeymoon phase is over, a lot of people will say that and it's not a fair assessment of the surgery's purpose and success. It's a tool and when you've gone through the process you're made very aware over and over again throughout the road to surgery that it's not just physical, it's mental. You have new rules to follow, you have to change your relationship with food, etc. A lot of people don't and a lot of people who get sick fail to relay how many of the rules they broke over and over again.
  • davekeegan0
    davekeegan0 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had gastric bypass about 8 years ago and lost 130 pounds the first year or so.(350 to 220) By the then I stopped losing weight and gained back half of it. I then started to gain weight back until a bout with cancer (chemo) caused me to start paying attention to diet and exercise. I went to walking and physical therapy and when I was able, a gym membership and monitoring my diet with MFP, I began to lose weight and am down to 208 and still going.
    The bypass was an immense help but to get all the way it's only a start, I still have to work to make it last.
    MFP makes it much easier.
  • AdamAthletic
    AdamAthletic Posts: 2,985 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I've never fully understood the argument about gastric bypass - firstly, they work.
    Okay, good point(s) in their favour finished with.

Not so great points (IMO) -
    (1) They are expensive (very), even if you don't see the cost - the general population takes the cost in taxes and inflated healthcare prices.
    (2) Other than in radical situations, they are unnecessary - there isn't a person alive that won't loose 'weight' if they are in a calorific deficit. It isn't physiologically possible, my whole career is built because of the science behind this.
    (3) The risks far outweigh the benefits, the chance of organ failure due to surgery complications - although somewhat low in percentage are 100% higher than the complications potentially caused by modifying the way you eat.
    (4) People often regain within a relatively short time period after - making the one and only benefit to having it done, completely null and void.

I could go on but, to me - those seem plenty.
  • newdl1
    newdl1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I had the sleeve and I lost 120 lbs. I struggled with my weight since I was 10 yrs old despite the fact that I always played hard, rode bikes, skated, etc. I have been on constant different diets since I was 16 yrs old and could never last for long. I was feeling suicidal most of my life because I could never be "normal". My blood ghrelin levels would never decrease which made me hungry ALL the time. With the sleeve it took a lot of the ghrelin out of my body giving me a chance to not feel hungry all the time which helps. Now I still struggle like most everyone and I will always have to work at my weight as long as I live but am happy to join the ranks of struggling dieters that have a fighting chance. I am not all the way down yet and it has been 4 years but I now have hope that I will live a while longer. It's not the easy way out that most people think it is but I now feel human and normal instead of a monstrosity which has taken my self worth away from me. I wish I would have done it earlier in life because I missed out on being a child, teenager and young adult. I always watched my friends swim and other things that I couldn't do and missed out on. I am 62 now and enjoy exercising at the YMCA even though I never learned to swim. I feel self conscious because of the hanging skin and won't wear a swim suit or sleeveles tops but it is way better than feeling suicidal most of my life. My self worth isn't 100% but I am doing much better in that regard. People shouldn't judge people unless they walked a mile in someone else's skin!
  • AdamAthletic
    AdamAthletic Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    CaptainJoy wrote: »
    @juliaward3363
    The motivation you need is to get back on track with your diet because you will enjoy life so much more. Do it for yourself. You're still lighter than pre-surgery so that's a plus.

@AdamAthletic
    (1) A lot of people choose to get gastric bypass in Mexico because it is so much cheaper and is actually safer because it is performed so frequently. If an insurance includes the surgery, the deductibles are often higher than the full cost in Mexico. Sometimes being morbidly obese results in a person becoming disabled, either physically or mentally. This surgery is aimed at helping a person become more mobile and confident through weight loss.
    (2) According to the NCHS, part of the CDC from 2011-2014, "More than 2 in 3 adults (70.2 percent) were considered to be overweight or have obesity." while "More than 1 in 3 adults (37.7 percent) were considered to have obesity." Explain to me how we have a population that is 1/3rd obese. Of course people lose weight if they are in a calorific deficit. I lost over 100 pounds doing this on MFP. I must be a special snowflake because if I could do it, then everyone should be able to, right? No, wrong. There is something wrong in our present society. Eating every meal out and driving everywhere just to sit all day has become the lifestyle for the majority. Medications to ease depression slow the metabolism. Fast food and sugary drinks are everywhere we turn. We need a way to educate the young to prevent obesity but it is not politically correct. I read in a different discussion how a mother wanted to talk to her teenage daughter about her weight and the majority said not to because it's fat shaming.
    (3) As far as the risks, people who choose surgery are usually desperate. They have little quality of life and consider it to be a last resort of restoring their life to somewhat normal. Most already have suicidal thoughts so complications do not scare them. I'm sure they've tried eating less and failed over and over again. Joint and back pain result in loss of motivation. In my humble opinion, people who resort to surgery are courageous, brave individuals that refuse to give up.

Although the risks associated with the surgery itself may not be astronomically high, the risks are still unnecessary for likely 98% of the population.
    Being in a caloric deficit doesn't require exercise - meaning that if mobility is an issue at first, loosing the first required number of lb could happen still.

Education is better than surgery wherever possible - you can take somebody and 'fix' a problem but unless you teach them and unless they see the benefits of the healthier lifestyle, it's all for nothing.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,350 Member
    Options
    You may want to up your exercise also. Work with your WLS group or doctor, they can help you break a stall. These are not unusual at all. I had gastric bypass in 2004 and had a stall about 9 months out and had to up exercise I was doing. You have to shake up what you are doing. Experiment and again I recommend you reach out to your doctor and/or surgeon