Adding more running days

Hey everyone,

I'm currently on week 5 of 9 of the couch to 5k plan, running 3 days a week and really enjoying it. I feel much happier on running days and the extra food is nice too ;) So I'm looking forward to adding more days per week and wondering how soon I can get away with that - I'd like to get to 5 days a week, obviously will do 4 days for awhile first.

I already do a fair bit of walking - work is about a 2.5 mile round trip,I walk into town and anywhere else I go, and I do the occasional long hike. Most recently 50 miles over 4 days back in July (half the west highland way). But, I'm still lugging around an excess 30-40kg.

When do people think I could add an extra day and how to go about it? I was thinking about starting it back on week 1 of the plan and increasing is gradually so it isn't too much of a strain. Also, what do long haired folk do about washing hair? I've been washing it on running days so far, but I'm not keen on eventually washing it 5 days a week (got about a metre of the stuff to wash, it isn't a fast operation!).

Thanks all :)
Rosemary

Replies

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Stick to the plan. Running injuries sneak up on you. Its not like you feel it coming on. One day you finish your run and feel something odd that turns into something painful. There's usually no warning. The best way to avoid this is to not overdo it. I know it is tough to hold back. I've been there and done that. I have the MRI to prove it. :#
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    If you're new to running, you're still a while away from adding more days.

Just stick to the plan for now. If you want a goal to look forward to, maybe plan on doing the 10K bridge plan after doing C25K.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Don't go up in mileage more than 10% per week...

Personally, I'd keep it to 3-4x per week and throw in some resistance training 2-3 days per week.

My wife is an avid runner and even when she's 1/2 marathon training, she does 4x per week...and then one day per week of lifting in the gym, and usually an easy recovery day on the bike. You should ultimately do something cross-training wise...
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,558 Member
    Hi, Rosemary. I don't have an answer about adding a day of running -- I want to do the same, but am going very, very slowly (Currently Week 4, C25k, but I've been doing each week twice). Back in the day, I ran six days a week -- mostly easy, sometimes hard -- as the saying goes. I should remember how I worked up from three to six days, but I don't want to give you bad advice because of my bad memory.

During that time, I still did not wash my hair every day. I just put it up in a pony, wore a hat, while running, and brushed it out when I was finished running. I did play around with a dry "wash" for a while, but my hair was not as long as yours so I'm not sure how well that would work for you.

Good luck!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    if you want to add more exercising to your routine for some extra food calories, I would suggest some strength training, or very low impact cardio, such as swimming, cycling, or the elliptical.

however, like others have said, running injuries can sneak up on you, especially if you are new to the sport. take your time and build your base. right now, part of the reason you are enjoying running so much is because you are rested and recovering between runs.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Others have answered about the running portion. I definitely second those who say to just follow the plan, and to incorporate strength training. Strength training can be a great form of injury prevention.

As for the hair, I definitely don't wash with every run (I run 6 days a week, and sometimes have more than one run in the same day, or double up with a run at lunch and lifting after work), as I know it's bad for your hair to overwash it. Some days you could just use conditioner, no shampoo. I also recommend dry shampoo (just bought Batiste the other day, after seeing all the commercials, seems to work quite well), and braids and ponytails can be your best friends, lol. I find two French braids often look good, on those days when your hair doesn't have that "I just washed it 5 min ago" look.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    C25K is "going really well" for you, so it is best to stick with the program as designed. You're on week 5. It will get more challenging from here on out.

When you are done with C25k, work on extending your distance on your 3x week runs. Add .25-.5 mile per week to each run and if all goes well, increase it by that much each week. That will help you progress more than adding days and risking injury. FWIW, you are still a "novice" runner in terms of conditioning. (The 10% rule doesn't really apply to these shorter distances.)
  • Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 232 Member
    Thanks for all the responses :) I guess I knew I was being overeager... seems it's best to stick to 3 days until I've done something beyond the C25K plan. Should I also be careful about planning hikes or is that okay? I guess I wouldn't run the day immediately after one.

I do ballet beautiful workouts (well, I try!) most days - I just avoid the leg based ones on running days. Not sure if that counts as strength training - I certainly feel it in my muscles! I'm not super interested in doing weights, I'd have to join a gym for that and I've other things I'd rather spend the money on.

I have some dry shampoo actually, I might try that after my next saturday run. Never thought about just conditioner either, so that's another possibility although it's the drying that's more of a pain. I tend to just go to work with it still damp (very informal office), but ice could be a problem in winter...
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Thanks for all the responses :) I guess I knew I was being overeager... seems it's best to stick to 3 days until I've done something beyond the C25K plan. Should I also be careful about planning hikes or is that okay? I guess I wouldn't run the day immediately after one.

I do ballet beautiful workouts (well, I try!) most days - I just avoid the leg based ones on running days. Not sure if that counts as strength training - I certainly feel it in my muscles! I'm not super interested in doing weights, I'd have to join a gym for that and I've other things I'd rather spend the money on.

I have some dry shampoo actually, I might try that after my next saturday run. Never thought about just conditioner either, so that's another possibility although it's the drying that's more of a pain. I tend to just go to work with it still damp (very informal office), but ice could be a problem in winter...

Lol, I can't help you with the drying, I am the absolute WORST when it comes to that....although maybe that's a good thing? I mean, heat is damaging, right? :D But I've definitely been guilty of going out in the winter with freshly washed, but not dried, hair and having it literally freeze :#
  • Rosemary7391

Lol, I can't help you with the drying, I am the absolute WORST when it comes to that....although maybe that's a good thing? I mean, heat is damaging, right? :D But I've definitely been guilty of going out in the winter with freshly washed, but not dried, hair and having it literally freeze :#

Yep, I've done that too - who says icicles aren't a good look? :smile:
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Finish C25k and after you have finished the program, gradually add a bit to your time or distance. (i.e. 5 minutes or half a mile increase per week.) When you get to the point where you are comfortable running about 12 miles per week, then you can add a day, but keep the distance the same. That is, instead of doing three four mile days (or 3, 4, and 5), do four 3 mile days or some variation of that. Do that same mileage for two weeks. Then add a bit to one of your runs. Continue to build your mileage by about 1/2 to 1 mile a week. If it starts feeling like too much, cut back, or just plan on cutting back every three to four weeks (12, 12.5, 13, 10, 13, 13.5, 14, 11, etc.). When you've been running four days a week for at least a month, do the same thing - same mileage over more days. Because you aren't actually increasing your mileage, it shouldn't be too much stress on the body, as long as you keep your total weekly mileage increases slow. When I was increasing my base, I went from 3 days a week to every other day (so three days one week, four the next), to four days a week, to 2 days running, one day off, two days running, one off, to 5 days a week. I currently run either 5 or 6 days each week, depending on whether I am doing more hiking or not, but I also will skip a run if I'm feeling exhausted or life gets in the way as long as I'm not training for anything specific.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    It's ok to hike in addition to c25k.
    You can do weights at home, I do! There are many forms of strength training you can do at home. Ballet is great exercise but is not strength training.
  • Rosemary7391
    edited August 2017
    Weights really don't appeal to me... are there any alternatives for strength training? Ideally ones that require no/minimal equipment - part of the reason I like the ballet beautiful workouts is that all they need is a mat and no stepping/jumping). I'm sure my downstairs neighbours appreciate that! I only have a drawer to keep stuff in.

Spiriteagle, thanks, that's really helpful :)
  • KarenSmith2018
    KarenSmith2018 Posts: 302 Member
    You could try bodyweight exercises: squats, lunges, press ups, pull ups, tricep dips, sit-up, burpees, planks, mountain climbers etc etc etc. These will help strengthen you all over without lifting a single weight.

Why don't you want to lift weights though?
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    I would go for something different - try doing a little resistance work and stretching. Also perhaps get on your bike and go swimming. Right now your body is adapting. Your cardio system adapts faster than your tendons and some muscle. Right now you are in (in mho) the hot zone for injury. If you don't injure yourself for another couple of months you will be running a long time :-) If you push to quickly now you could put yourself back on the couch before you get to the 5k :-) there are plenty of other things to do though so I would spread the load.
  • Rosemary7391
    You could try bodyweight exercises: squats, lunges, press ups, pull ups, tricep dips, sit-up, burpees, planks, mountain climbers etc etc etc. These will help strengthen you all over without lifting a single weight.

Why don't you want to lift weights though?

It just doesn't seem fun to me - I'm happy enough to lift stuff for a purpose, often end up lugging speakers and furniture around church, but I've got no particular desire to lift heavy things for the sake of lifting them. I especially don't want to buy and find space for special heavy things to lift. Unemployment is looming rapidly, and there's a high probability of a move with it, so I really don't want to buy anything much or sign up to a gym contract. I enjoy running and hiking because it gets me outside, doing things, seeing things.

Dunno, maybe I'm overestimating the cost and room required for these things. Reality is that if I can't fold it down and put it in a drawer it's too big, and if it's more than £40 I'll um and ah over buying it for ages... I'll get going with those sorts of things though, that I can do. Some of them are similar to the ballet exercise moves I do already too :)

Thanks davert - I will be careful!
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    I was in a similar pickle a month or so ago. I am training for a 10k, but only have three runs per week. It wasn't feeling like "enough." I worked to add some cross-training in, which for me was walking or hiking on non-run days. As my long-runs got longer, I am glad I didn't arbitrarily put more running distance or days in. My race is on Sept 9, and after that I plan on continuing running *maybe* looking at some additional races, but more for fitness and the ability to eat more. :) At that point, I'm going to play around with my distances and days running. I'd like to run 4 days per week around 3.5-5 miles per run. Maybe with one of those being slightly longer. I don't know if I'll get the itch to train for a half marathon or what, so I'm just floating those ideas in my head.

For now, though, with my first race in mind, I'm following the program I picked and then seeing where that gets me on race day. So far so good.
  • mabearof6
    mabearof6 Posts: 684 Member
    For now I would follow everyone's suggestion of sticking to the plan. It's so easy to over do things when it comes to running. Make sure you take it slow when you do eventually start adding more days.