Work Out Clothes While Losing Weight

Options
aeloine
aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
edited August 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
This one is mostly for women: How did you deal with having to buy smaller sports bras all the time? I've been having to double up on my sports bras but don't think that's going to last for much longer.

Same for the yoga pants: they're starting to fall off when running.

ETA: how do you deal with that? I've been successfully avoiding buying new clothes for my everyday wardrobe but the workout clothes aren't as forgiving. What do you do to tide you over for as long as possible?

Replies

• IsabeausRose
    IsabeausRose Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Well I'm 27 pounds from my goal. So I'm waiting until I look good to buy those skin tight clothes.
  • ctaps
    ctaps Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    As far as sports bras go, you might just need to buy a new one. Try one with adjustable hooks in the back so you can tighten it as you lose weight. They sell them at Old Navy for cheap. If you're not doing anything high impact like running, you don't need a ton of support anyways. As for leggings, I find they stop slipping once I break a sweat. The first mile is a hobble while I try to hold them up! Hope that helps!
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    I've found yoga pants for $5-10 on Amazon - I bought the current set a little tight and they're still fitting fine 20 lbs and six months later (one of them ripped really quick, but that's what you get for $10, and the other three pairs are still good). I suppose it depends on your body and how fast you're losing.
  • LonniJay
    LonniJay Posts: 3,740 Member
    Options
    I sew so I can take some stuff in a bit but not much. I usually hit the local thrift stores for workout pants or clearance racks everywhere. I go for cheap stuff currently but I've seen sports bras that are fully adjustable just like normal bras and I plan to buy a couple and hand wash/hang dry immediately after use. Workout tops don't matter to me as I can toss any tank over a sports bra and it's fine. Good luck!
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    If you are able to wear the inexpensive WalMart sports bras, I'd recommend one or two and sink washing and air drying post workout.

Workout shorts and pants are often super cheap at thrift stores or consignment shops...if you can find men's basketball shorts or women's bottoms that have the string in the elastic waistband, those are easily adjustable. There were a couple of times I folded the waistband inward, twisted and tied off with a hairband or rubber band.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I typically just buy cheap workout clothes from walmart or old navy. Or thrift stores as mentioned above. Personally, sports bras are just worth the investment to me since they are so essential to being comfortable while working out. I can deal with most garments fitting a little big, but once the girls lose their support things can get uncomfortable, no use torturing yourself!
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,008 Member
    Options
    I bought mostly inexpensive workout gear. I did have to double up on sports bras for a while. I also bought the less expensive ones from Walmart and they work ok for me for yoga, but not really for running. You can often add a drawstring to your yoga pants. Just cut a small hole on the inside of the waist band and run a string through it. Men's shoestrings are usually long enough.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Pants or shorts with a drawstring.
    My chest measurements haven't changed enough that I needed a new sports bra.

If you go to a craft store or sewing supply site like fabric.com you can buy drawstring cord. Even on Amazon.com. https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_n_0?fst=as:off&rh=n:2617941011,n:2933777011,k:Drawstring&keywords=Drawstring&ie=UTF8&qid=1503933524&rnid=2617942011
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Sports bras, I buy the ones with padding and adjustable straps so I can replace the paddibg and tighten the straps as I shrink, I've gotten an extra full size out of them this way; just buy the ones that are snug on the loosest adjuatments. Yoga pants: I don't, even when loose - they are still semi see-thru when bent over. Seen one too many pair of underwear right through them, even if they fit properly when standing up. I wear soccer shorts with a draw string, that way I can wear them for a lot longer and they aren't see through.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    Didn't even think about adding a cord - that's brilliant!

I got several really amazing workout/yoga pants from a friend and didn't want to have to cut them out of my wardrobe for good just yet. Shorts aren't really an option yet (chafing, anyone?). May have to switch to joggers at some point as PP had suggested.
  • Sashslay
    Sashslay Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    The baggiest pair of trackies ever and a baggy tshirt. Sports bra I had to bite the bullet with and buy new ones when my weight dropped but other than that I'll wear the ugliest crap until I hit my goal haha.
  • AMV91
    AMV91 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I get Old Navy compression pants and honestly the sizes last me a long time. I went down 4 sizes in pants but only one size in compression leggings. The larger size I can still use, just isn't the best for high impact as I have to yank them up a fair bit.

I was never blessed in the boob dept so my sports bras last ages anyway.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I had bought one size down exercise clothes as an incentive when I recommitted to MFP. Turned out I need to lose 40+ pounds to need a new sports bra so I'm still not wearing it yet.
  • happyauntie2015
    happyauntie2015 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Sports bras I bought one I can tighten as I loose, clothing I go to thrift stores and also buy the bottoms with drawstring.
  • FatAFNoMore
    FatAFNoMore Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    If you have bras with clasps in the back you can get smaller sizes then use extenders. They give you a few extra inches of space. That way as you lose you can remove the extenders and use the bra as is with the regular clasps. Search Target for bra extenders, they should be under $10.
  • buffalogal42
    buffalogal42 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    If you are a garage saler, check there. I just had a sale and sold all my XL clothes ... tanks, sports bras, leggings ... I wasn't sure people would buy that stuff but I washed it all and staged it on a table that said "Get your fit on!" And the table was cleared off almost immediately! Lots of Under Armour and Nike stuff for no more than a buck or two! And with the money I got I can buy a couple new pieces for myself.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    These are by far my favorite pants to work out in. The drawstring keeps up the ones that are too big. But they have a slimmer cut for the leg so they don't end up looking like I'm drowning in them. They're only 45 a pair and I have some that have lasted for over 5 years.

http://www.adidas.com/us/tiro-17-training-pants/CF3613.html

As for bras, invest in good ones. Your chest and back will thank you.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Target and Kmart have been great for inexpensive workout gear.

I don't worry that I'm not paying more money for a designer name that does the same job.