Why am I stalling so bad? I recently took dairy out of my diet, could that be?

Options

Replies

• Rivvvy
    Rivvvy Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    DamieBird wrote: »
    Kekekylene wrote: »
    holy smokes, um you are probably stalling because you aren't eating anything, what are your stats? Do you exercise? You should be logging your exercise and eating those calories back as well. Are you weighing everything and making sure that your entries are accurate?

^^^^
    This

You're averaging less than 1100 calories a day! That's super low, especially if you're trying to keep up with a 10 month old. Is there a reason why you've set your limits so low?

Well I don't exercise much, I'm a SAHM and stay at home all day ha. Well I take off 100 calories from my 1200 for all the nibbling I do through out the day.
    I set my weight loss to half a pound a week and it added like 700 calories more. That will make me gain like crazy!
  • Rivvvy
    Options
    Rivvvy wrote: »
    holy smokes, um you are probably stalling because you aren't eating anything, what are your stats? Do you exercise? You should be logging your exercise and eating those calories back as well. Are you weighing everything and making sure that your entries are accurate?

^^^^
    This

You're averaging less than 1100 calories a day! That's super low, especially if you're trying to keep up with a 10 month old. Is there a reason why you've set your limits so low?

Well I don't exercise much, I'm a SAHM and stay at home all day ha. Well I take off 100 calories from my 1200 for all the nibbling I do through out the day.
    I set my weight loss to half a pound a week and it added like 700 calories more. That will make me gain like crazy!

Maybe I should go to a nutritionist....
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    Options

^^^^
    This

You should have probably been eating that much already.

I maintain at over 2000 and I'm old and retired and live in a tiny condo by myself. No housework, no work. I only take a walk a few times a week.

Why don't you go up to 1700 for a month? Still add in and eat more on exercise days.

Trust the process, and be honest and consistent. You're young and a busy mom. How do you feel? Are you sleepy/irritable/anxious/tired/headache-y? Is it hard to stay in your calories without a blow-out day every few days? Are you eating well-balanced meals?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,069 Member
    Options

Hey! I eat!
    I just started running. So I'll put that in.
    Yes my food is accurate.

WaitAMinute: Did you stall approximately when you started running? If so, the reason is probably water weight from new exercise, and the best strategy would be patience.

If the timing's not right . . . never mind. ;)
  • Rivvvy
    Options

^^^^
    This

I maintain at over 2000 and I'm old and retired and live in a tiny condo by myself. No housework, no work. I only take a walk a few times a week.

Why don't you go up to 1700 for a month? Still add in and eat more on exercise days.

Trust the process, and be honest and consistent. You're young and a busy mom. How do you feel? Are you sleepy/irritable/anxious/tired/headache-y? Is it hard to stay in your calories without a blow-out day every few days? Are you eating well-balanced meals?

I've recently been getting more sleepy and irritable
    I stay in my calories pretty good, have a binge maybe every two months...
    I like to think I'm earring well balanced meals.
    Will it make me gain? I've worked so hard...
  • Rivvvy
    Options

^^^^
    This

Rather than lowering your goal to account for "nibbling", just log everything you eat. Those nibbles can easily add up.

Yes I try to! But sometimes I really don't know how much I even ate. But I won't lower the calories anymore
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    Options

^^^^
    This

Rather than lowering your goal to account for "nibbling", just log everything you eat. Those nibbles can easily add up.

Yes I try to! But sometimes I really don't know how much I even ate. But I won't lower the calories anymore

Now that you are within a healthy weight range, if you want to lose you need a tiny tiny daily deficit.

So you're going to need to be pretty spot-on with your portion sizes and amounts.

As far as going up to 1700-1900 like the site is recommending...I would pay attention. How is your hair doing? Have you noticed any hair loss? What about skin and nails? Are your nails brittle? Is your skin dry? Along with fatigue, lack of concentration or memory and irritability, you're going to start to have physical problems like these. If you have problems you can see, that means there are other issues beginning in your organs. Very low calorie plans are nothing to mess with. You're flirting with health issues right now.
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options

^^^^
    This

Honest assessment is that your diet isn't as well balanced as you think it is :/.

I think that you're on the right track, and I totally understand that you want to maintain the weight that you've worked so hard to lose. May I suggest that you try to re-frame your thinking? Look at this as a long term process. When you up your calories, you will gain - be prepared for the scale to move in a direction that you don't want it to and don't get upset about it, because it will be just water weight. Give it a few weeks to level off and then if you need to, you can make some adjustments.

Just glancing at your diary, you could probably stand to add in some more protein and veggies. It will also help you to start weighing your food. How do you know that you're really eating "medium" strawberries? I can fill up a giant bowl with cut strawberries for about 100 calories, if I weigh them - you could get more food if you weight instead of trusting packages or estimating ounces.

Considering how you feel, it might be a good idea to up your calories slowly over the next couple of weeks. Eat 100 more tomorrow, and step that up every two days until you're at the 700 that MFP gives you. Just be patient and don't put too much stock into whatever is on the scale right now.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    If you're not losing weight eating such extremely low calories, then your logging is inaccurate and you're eating more than you think, or there is a medical issue going on.

I wouldn't be able haul my butt off the couch eating what you are, let a lone run and look after a baby, basically i would have zero energy and would be ravenous constantly.
  • Rivvvy
    Options

^^^^
    This

Honest assessment is that your diet isn't as well balanced as you think it is :/.

I think that you're on the right track, and I totally understand that you want to maintain the weight that you've worked so hard to lose. May I suggest that you try to re-frame your thinking? Look at this as a long term process. When you up your calories, you will gain - be prepared for the scale to move in a direction that you don't want it to and don't get upset about it, because it will be just water weight. Give it a few weeks to level off and then if you need to, you can make some adjustments.

Just glancing at your diary, you could probably stand to add in some more protein and veggies. It will also help you to start weighing your food. How do you know that you're really eating "medium" strawberries? I can fill up a giant bowl with cut strawberries for about 100 calories, if I weigh them - you could get more food if you weight instead of trusting packages or estimating ounces.

Considering how you feel, it might be a good idea to up your calories slowly over the next couple of weeks. Eat 100 more tomorrow, and step that up every two days until you're at the 700 that MFP gives you. Just be patient and don't put too much stock into whatever is on the scale right now.

I will start this tomorrow, right now I'm stress eating some dark chocolate pretzels.
    This is pretty scary... I think I might go to a professional for this. Thank you for the info
  • Rivvvy
    Options
    If you're not losing weight eating such extremely low calories, then your logging is inaccurate and you're eating more than you think, or there is a medical issue going on.

I wouldn't be able haul my butt off the couch eating what you are, let a lone run and look after a baby, basically i would have zero energy and would be ravenous constantly.

It sounds like I'm about to crash hard.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

It sounds like I'm about to crash hard.

There's time to fix this. Hang around the forums and ask lots of questions. You dont need to suffer, eat diet foods or go into a hard core extreme deficit to lose weight.

I still eat the same foods i did when i was overweight, just less of them. I weigh all solids on a food scale and liquids in measuring cups. I make sure to get plenty of protein and fat and let the carbs fall where they may. I'm not perfect and there are times i eat with abandon, but these times are rare and usually follow days of not eating enough.

Hard core restriction will guarantee my exercise will suffer as i just couldnt be bothered as i don't have enough energy and i will put in a halfassed effort, and i WILL eventually binge, it's a vicious circle that gets me absolutely nowhere.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,603 Member
    Options
    Your apparent calories are too low and may be affecting your energy level and ability and desire to DO things.

July 4 -31: 1048 Cal, 122g Carb 35g Fat, 72g protein (54g sugar, 23g fiber, 1984mg sodium, 544mg cholest)
    August 1-26: 985 Cal, 124g Carb, 31g Fat, 61g protein (57g sugar, 26g fiber, 1737mg sodium, 197mg cholest)

Your actual calories are (quite possibly) unknown because hey, I can nibble calories worth more than a meal and so can most of us, and our after the fact recall sucks **kittens** even if we've trained ourselves to do it.

Weight fluctuates on a daily basis and it fluctuates because of exercise, sodium, the time of the month, whether you went to the bathroom or not, and a host of other reasons. This only partially represents a fat level change. Usually and more often and to a larger degree the fluctuations represent a water weight change. The answer is to accept that and to quite possibly use a trending weight application to gauge progress. www.trendweight.com/www.weightgrapher.com, happy scale iphone, libra android.

Your deficit at a healthy weight range should not really be more than 15-20% of your total daily energy expenditure.

Patience and a small deficit that takes into account exercise and activity are your friends.

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Stress-eating chocolate pretzels and not logged yet? Log them. Log them accurately. Did you stress-portion a finite amount and weigh it before you ate? Did you stress-weigh the bag before you started subtracting from it?

How regularly do you keep chocolate pretzels on hand for occasional stress-eating?

BTW, I crashed hard last Thursday and weigh 1+ lb less today than I did Thursday morning. We can bounce from our crashes.

• Rivvvy
    Options
    Stress-eating chocolate pretzels and not logged yet? Log them. Log them accurately. Did you stress-portion a finite amount and weigh it before you ate? Did you stress-weigh the bag before you started subtracting from it?

How regularly do you keep chocolate pretzels on hand for occasional stress-eating?

BTW, I crashed hard last Thursday and weigh 1+ lb less today than I did Thursday morning. We can bounce from our crashes.

Logged it!
    That gives me hope. Thank you
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options

Oh my gosh why are you talking so much about my dark chocolate covered pretzels
    Let me enjoy them
    (My bf just them yesterday from his mother and I had two at her house a few days ago and logged them and then had some more a few more days ago and freakin logged them)

It's hard to gauge tone on the internet, but in case you're not joking: when someone posts a thread saying that they're stalled/plateaued/gaining weight, people will offer advice. And when someone says that they often don't log their "nibbles", pointing out that they should log their nibbles is perfectly reasonable advice. You can certainly still enjoy them. But if you're concerned about not losing weight, tighter logging is very good advice.
  • Rivvvy
    Options

Oh my gosh why are you talking so much about my dark chocolate covered pretzels
    Let me enjoy them
    (My bf just them yesterday from his mother and I had two at her house a few days ago and logged them and then had some more a few more days ago and freakin logged them)

It's hard to gauge tone on the internet, but in case you're not joking: when someone posts a thread saying that they're stalled/plateaued/gaining weight, people will offer advice. And when someone says that they often don't log their "nibbles", pointing out that they should log their nibbles is perfectly reasonable advice. You can certainly still enjoy them. But if you're concerned about not losing weight, tighter logging is very good advice.

I'm sorry you're right about tones on the internet, I'm joking lol
    I tightly log everyday. To the point that it anoyys the people around me. Thank you for the info!