Help. Any fellow UC sufferers who also lift?

Options
My diet for cutting fat, staying full, and building muscle seems to be directly contradictory to my diet for controlling my UC symptoms. I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis a few months ago. There are certain dietary changes I am supposed to implement, especially during a flare up, but they will sabotage my efforts to control my hunger and weight. Generally speaking, UC diets are low in protein, whole grains, fiber, seeds, raw veggies, fruit etc, because you are trying to make your colon work less hard. But those are the main staples of my diet to keep feeling less hungry and not gain too much fat. When I read the UC diet recommendations, it seems like most of the things I am "allowed" to eat would be empty calories and non nutritive...or else, nothing but cooked veggies. Help! And advice, esp from people with experience in this, would be appreciated.

Replies

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I have Crohn's Disease. When in a flare, I rely heavily on Carnation Instant Breakfasts and Protein shakes for both nutrition and protein. I add bananas and other fruits and veggies. Your blender is your best friend. I also eat a ton of fish because it is easy to digest.
  • aliencheesecake
    aliencheesecake Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    I have Crohn's Disease. When in a flare, I rely heavily on Carnation Instant Breakfasts and Protein shakes for both nutrition and protein. I add bananas and other fruits and veggies. Your blender is your best friend. I also eat a ton of fish because it is easy to digest.

Thanks for responding. I have read protein is not great either. But I do love breakfast shakes. Is it just meat protein that is hard on the belly then?
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I have Crohn's but recently had a total proctocolectomy so enjoying the freedom of a less restrictive diet at the moment
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »

Thanks for responding. I have read protein is not great either. But I do love breakfast shakes. Is it just meat protein that is hard on the belly then?

I never had issues with white meat such as chicken and turkey. Red meat was a problem